Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320X5 loads?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I have been playing around with the new P320X5 I bought. Accuracy has not been that great with 147 coated bullets. It seems to like the 135's plated more. The power factor I am looking for is in the 131-134PF range. I am going to try some 124's this week to see if they are a little better. My Glock 17 likes the 147's with the KKM barrel and is more accurate than the Sig with the same bullet. Anyone have a accurate load they are using for their X5? 3" groups off hand at 25 yards is what I am looking for. Thanks, Eric

Mine like 124/5 better.

3" groups =147

11/2-2" groups with almost any 124/5 bullets at 25 rested. fwiw

125Gr Bayou RN

4.1 WST

Win/CCI/Fed primers

COL 1.145-50

Edited by jcc7x7

I’m with the other 124/125gr guys. All of my P320s shoot them better. I usually crank them up around 135pf and get excellent accuracy....like 1 1/2” at 25 yards. With 135s at the same pf the accuracy drops very slightly, but I do like the feel of them a lot.

Hello: I learned something last night at the match. My pistol does not like Freedom Munitions 124gr  reloads. I had at least 10 light strikes on the primers. I think they may have used some harder primers than my usual Winchester small pistols. That will teach me to test ammo before a match. I did like the recoil impulse of the 124's. I will try some 115, 124, 135's next week. I do like the 135's alot in other pistols but not sure on this one since it shoots pretty soft with the 124's. Thanks, Eric

I hate to be the contrarian, but my X5 really loves the 147 gr. I am using the Bar-Sto Match barrel and the Springer Engineering tungsten guide rod, so that may make a difference.

To be clear, I think the 124 gr are slightly more accurate for slow-fire, bullseye type shooting, but for rapid fire USPSA-style shooting, my gun and I prefer the 147 gr. by far. Softer shooting, faster follow up shots, and honestly, better accuracy at speed than the 124's, but that is due to the recoil profile at speed rather than the absolute accuracy of the bullet. Once again, slow-fire from a rest, the 124 gr is more accurate in my gun as well.

I am using the 147 gr as my go-to competition round from now on. I just love them.

My current loads are:

RMR 147 FP "Match Winners"

3.6 gr. Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.10" COAL

132 Power Factor

---

RMR 124 JHP "Multipurpose Rounds"

4.3 gr. Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.085" COAL

133 Power Factor

Both of these loads are just AMAZING in my X5. YMMV.

Edited by Doublehelix

23 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

I hate to be the contrarian, but my X5 really loves the 147 gr. I am using the Bar-Sto Match barrel and the Springer Engineering tungsten guide rod, so that may make a difference.

To be clear, I think the 124 gr are slightly more accurate for slow-fire, bullseye type shooting, but for rapid fire USPSA-style shooting, my gun and I prefer the 147 gr. by far. Softer shooting, faster follow up shots, and honestly, better accuracy at speed than the 124's, but that is due to the recoil profile at speed rather than the absolute accuracy of the bullet. Once again, slow-fire from a rest, the 124 gr is more accurate in my gun as well.

I am using the 147 gr as my go-to competition round from now on. I just love them.

My current loads are:

RMR 147 FP "Match Winners"

3.6 gr. Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.10" COAL

132 Power Factor

---

RMR 124 JHP "Multipurpose Rounds"

4.3 gr. Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.085" COAL

133 Power Factor

Both of these loads are just AMAZING in my X5. YMMV.

Is RMR coated or plated/ jacketed?

I am getting the same PF at 3.3gr of ASP and 1.120" COL with ACME 147 FP bullets.

Hello: I did not get a chance to do any testing since I had some trigger problems. Hopefully it is all cured now. I do have one load that is 124gr Extreme plated, 3.9 grains Clean Shot, Winchester small pistol primers, 1.140" OAL. Soft shooting and quick splits. Thanks, Eric

9 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Is RMR coated or plated/ jacketed?

I am getting the same PF at 3.3gr of ASP and 1.120" COL with ACME 147 FP bullets.

8 hours ago, George16 said:

The RMR MPRs are jacketed.

Yes, both the RMR 124 JHP Multipurpose Rounds and the 147 gr FP Match Winners bullets are jacketed. Great bullets by the way! In my .40 Limited gun, I shot coated lead, but for my 9mm rounds out of the X5, I am loving both of these bullets.

Here are the results from yesterday as the fam wouldn't let me slip out to the range on Sunday:

Acme 147gr FP

3.225gr Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.135 OAL

131.6 Avg PF

Acme 147gr FP

3.30gr Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.135 OAL

134.1 Avg PF

Acme 147gr FP

3.425gr Sport Pistol

CCI 500

1.135 OAL

135.9 Avg PF

Powder throw weights were an average of 4 measured throws. 

Sample size ranged from 11 to 24.

The highest load showed the least variance at 1.51 STDEVA in power factor for a 24 shot group.

Subjectively, the lowest load had the tightest group on target.  This was at 20yds from a bench.  It was also the first group and I was the most careful while shooting it.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:04 PM, Doublehelix said:

Yes, both the RMR 124 JHP Multipurpose Rounds and the 147 gr FP Match Winners bullets are jacketed. Great bullets by the way! In my .40 Limited gun, I shot coated lead, but for my 9mm rounds out of the X5, I am loving both of these bullets.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Edited by jaep1911

I've been running 147gr Xtreme RN with 3.2gr Titegroup and it's been very accurate in my X5, G34, and even my PCC.

I have also tried Blue Bullets with the same exact data and they seem to run well, although groups on paper with the X5 seem to be a little less tight than the Xtreme but I could just have had an off day. I've tried the new Brazos 145gr, again same setup (too lazy to adjust press and luckily the OAL is damn close), and had good hits at a practice match last night

I think I'm at about 1.135 or so OAL, I'm not sure on the PF since I haven't chrono'd but I got the load data from somewhere here on the forum since it's a popular setup and works great.

Edited by mellino19
more info