Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building My First Glock, Looking for Advice

Tophernj

I have stumbled onto a G19/3 and I'm looking to build it into something kinda racy.  

I have minimal experience with Glock firearms.  I have in the past owned one, a 19/4.  It was cool but I don't love plastic guns.  So I sold it.  I have not had a desire to own another  until recently when I saw the plethora of available parts and ease of assembling and building them and how much fun it can be (anyone that knows me knows I can't help building sh--stuff).  

So, I have the frame and recently purchased a LPK and locking block kit from Lone Wolf.  It came with the trigger and all the attendant parts.  What I'm looking for is suggestions on parts to buy, parts to avoid buying, etc.  Any tips and tricks from experienced "builders" would be much appreciated as well.  

My thoughts are as follows:
*Glock 19 Gen 3 frame*
Stock parts kit minus trigger
Apex trigger (I've got one in another pistol and like it but am very open to suggestions)
Stippling of some type, I may try it myself.  
ETS magazines

*Stock 19/3 slide*
Stock upper parts kit (for now)
Window cut the front and cut for a mini dot
Lone Wolf barrel, threaded
A compensator of some type --- I'm totally lost on this one and have zero experience with comps on hand guns but will run this in some local games hence my wanting one.

I'm for sure looking for recommendations on magwell and extended mag release.  The magwell is not as tough, the mag release is.  I dislocated my thumb some years ago and don't have full function.  Pressing a release is tough on the standard size.  Especially the 3's. I'd prefer something a little lower profile than something like the Zev paddle but will deal with whatever my final decision is.   On  my 1911's I run a paddle release.  I don't love it but it's what works for me.  

Color...  Well, that's up in the air as well.  We'll see how that rolls.  

Again I'm looking for suggestions on which way to proceed and which way to avoid.  
And, before it starts, this is not my first rodeo.  I know about the pitfalls of building, the extra cost involved, etc.  Additionally this will not be a HD gun.  Essentially I have every avenue covered already and am in the toy buying phase.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello: Well it seems you want to do a alot to your G19. First step back and slow down. Decide what you want to shoot and in what gun game. Read the rules for the division you want to shoot in. Do you reload or do you want to? Now, what I would do is get a G19 gen3 slide from Brownells that is cut for a RMR and get a Holosun 507C. That way you will still have your original slide setup or you could sell it. Then decide if you want a comp or just run a standard type barrel. Shoot a comp gun with major power factor loads to see if the blast bothers you. The rest will be up to you and what you think works best. Personally I would have started with a G17 gen3 since there are lots of options for it and lots of good used parts around. Good luck with your build and have fun with it. Thanks, Eric

49 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

The G19 is not a choice for competition. A G17/G34 is your fist best choice for USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun

I shoot local, club level matches at 10 yards for nothing more than the fact that I get to run my gun.  

So, in my case, the 19 works just fine.  Thank you tho.

28 minutes ago, Harpo said:

You might consider running factory mags - I have a few ETS mags, and they've been decent, but the springs aren't as stiff as I would like(added a Wolff extra power spring to one of them, and that helped).

Thank you.

I just grabbed a couple of factory mags.  We are limited to 10 rounds so I'm not sure about how they will run.  I have another "Franken-gun" that I'm going to try them out in and see how they perform.  I also have some Magpuls and they seem ok but I'm not thrilled.  

Pmags have worked really well for me.

I like the TTI trigger kit

Skate tape is cheaper than stippling and can be replaced when it gets worn down. 

Once again, do you reload? Ported barrels never have seemed to be effective to me. 

And I have a glockstore extended release in my 17 gen 4 that I like a lot. 

Edited by HCH

1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

Oh cool. Thank you. 

I think im gonna look for a 23 slide. I want the conversion barrel for just a touch more muzzle weight. Or at least that’s the thought at the moment. 

Edited by Tophernj

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, Tophernj said:

Oh cool. Thank you. 

I think im gonna look for a 23 slide. I want the conversion barrel for just a touch more muzzle weight. Or at least that’s the thought at the moment. 

Last plan abandoned.  My buddy had a 19 slide, complete, with a LWD threaded barrel all unfired.  He sold it all to me for a very fair price.  I'm now waiting for my one gun a month NJ silliness to be done with.  I'll grab the frame monday and put the pistol together with a polished stock Glock trigger for now.  

I'm thinking to grab a Hyve trigger and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it here.  

I'm also still stuck on which magwell to grab but the SLR looks pretty solid so I mag go that direction unless I hear differently from someone on here.  

Frame is in.

Gun is together.  I put an Apex trigger in as I have one.  I like the trigger and will probably keep it as such.  

I'm polishing the slide and will be cutting on it shortly as I'm getting a milling machine delivered Sunday.  Let's see what kind of mess I can make.  

I've been looking at the SLR magwells.  That may make the cut.  Still considering what mag release.  

Check out Carver Customs website at https://www.bb-enterprise.biz. There are many options there for race parts for Glock. I reccomend a 4 port Carver Custom compensator. I have tested just about every comp out there and this one is the clear winner. Your build will only be as good as the quality of parts you install. Once built, test your match ammo and tune accordingly then practice, practice, practice. I shoot a Carver Custom Open Glock 17 and love it. I am currently Unclassified but on track for M or A classification in Open. Practice is the contributing factor for success but great gear helps and inspires confidence.

If you want to try stippling it on your own I highly recommend the Oregon trail defense products, specifically the X tip and wagon wheel tip. 

I tried the grip tape thing for a long time and I finally got so fed up with the grip tape moving around when my grip progressively got stronger that I tried stippling knowing full well I could destroy the frame. The end result was way better than I could have hoped for as far as functionality, and the looks aren't too bad even though I didn't bother doing true bordering.

8 minutes ago, Tophernj said:

@polymerfeelsweirdman Thank you. A buddy has a kit that he’s gonna let me borrow. I appreciate the encouragement very much. 

@TeamCarverCustom I’ll be looking to add the “tactical magwell” from Carver shortly. Thank you for the recommendation. 

If he has a kit but doesn't have those tips I'd consider buying them, they're like $5 a piece and make it ridiculously easy

As for trigger no one can top a Johnny glock custom trigger, my drop in comp trigger is pulling at 2.25 pounds and has a very fast and snappy reset, the trigger pull its self is very short in pull. 

On 5/7/2019 at 3:17 PM, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

If he has a kit but doesn't have those tips I'd consider buying them, they're like $5 a piece and make it ridiculously easy

No problem, always glad to help. I use the wide mouth aluminum magwell, it also has a brass frame weight. Feels great and makes for fast and smooth reloads.

Carver Custom "Tactical" magwell and Apex paddle style mag release are on the way.  

The frame will be done once these are installed. 

On to the upper.

And a holster.  I'm looking for a holster.  I'd love holster suggestions.  I'll need help with a holster...  🧐

2 hours ago, Novagunner said:

For a race holster I really like the Alpha-X. Having interchangeable blocks let’s you change guns easily should you choose to. 

I’m sure that thats a solid rig but that’s a bit much for me. 

Thank you tho.