Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 45 shooters

usmc1974

On 4/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, gerritm said:

We have a SS/revolver match once a month here in the Houston area that attracts 50 plus shooters and a couple of revolver guys. We all love it, kind of fun to have the match set up to be SS friendly. Gives us a chance to drag out the 9/.45 SS that sit in the safe or we carry and have fun. 

gerritm

When and where is this match held?

Thanks in advance.

46 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

https://practiscore.com/results/new/78817

A very popular SS/Production only match that sells out crazy fast. Interesting to look at SS major vs minor and SS versus production, it is very much a run and gun style match (note the low # of Mikes and high hit factors) which may effect results and selection of whether to bring your 45 or your 9. One thing I love about SS is that there really is a legitimate choice I think. 

Yep, that’s a great match. I shot that one this year and last year. Too bad this was the last year for it, although I hear some locals are working on something to continue the flavor of the match, even if the name is done. 

19 minutes ago, TxD said:

When and where is this match held?

Thanks in advance.

Area 59 2nd Sunday of the month. Look in  Practiscore under 1911 Match Area 59/GPS.

Just bought a new 1911 SS .45 to play.

gerritm

My bedside gun is a SS 1911 (RIA) in .45.  But it has a slide mounted red dot.  So the only division I could use the SS 1911 is in OPEN; not very competitive.  For competition, I shoot a STI 2011 open gun in 9mm major.

I actually prefer the feel of a double stack grip over a SS grip.  I also prefer the feel of an extended square trigger guard over the rounded trigger.

At some point in the future, I'll eventually replace my SS 1911 with slide mounted red dot with a 9mm with a slide mounted red dot that I could also use to dabble in CO.  Or splurge and get a 2011 STI with a slide mounted red dot for my bedside gun.  

I shoot a .45 ACP 1911 every couple of months in my clubs defensive pistol matches.  Since I carry a 1911 I like to keep my skills fresh.  

I cast my own bullets and reload so the cost of shooting .45 ACP over 9mm is about $1 per hundred.  I'm old school.  I love my 1911 pistols.  It was only last year I used a double stack nine in matches.  

On 4/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, gdboytyler said:

My bedside gun is a SS 1911 (RIA) in .45.  But it has a slide mounted red dot.  So the only division I could use the SS 1911 is in OPEN; not very competitive.  For competition, I shoot a STI 2011 open gun in 9mm major.

I actually prefer the feel of a double stack grip over a SS grip.  I also prefer the feel of an extended square trigger guard over the rounded trigger.

At some point in the future, I'll eventually replace my SS 1911 with slide mounted red dot with a 9mm with a slide mounted red dot that I could also use to dabble in CO.  Or splurge and get a 2011 STI with a slide mounted red dot for my bedside gun.  

Strangely I think IDPA CO allows an ESP pistol and a  1911 is good for ESP.

All I used to shoot was my .45 1911. For about five years I've been shooting mostly polymer pistols.  This year I wend back to my 1911.  Love the feel of the pistol and nothing else comes close to a good 1911 trigger.

I took a few months to have fun with a Glock set up for Limited, but now I'm preparing to go back to Single Stack.

Am fixin' to purchase some 9mm 1911s shortly but will likely shoot .45 once in a while because my .45 1911s are great and I have fond memories with them.

I've been shooting limited for several years, and picked up Single Stack over the winter.  My skills with my limited gun are so much better this spring for it, that I almost can't believe it.  I got used to the heavier recoil of the 45 and learned how to find the sights again quickly.  My reloads got faster because they were more frequent, and without the benefit of a giant magwell, I'm more accurate when inserting the magazine.  Maye that shaves a hundredth off, I don't know, but it feels like it.  The 1911 also made me more conscious of how to break apart a stage and make a solid plan.  I'm a much better shooter for it, and I plan to continue shooting Single Stack Major only from about October to March every year. 

Nice post XDoctor. All true. My only problem going back to Limited is to remember to send them early and often and not worry because make-ups are available. With single stack there will always be enough rounds available in a view -as long as you don't miss. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, zzt said:

...BTW, about six months ago I finished a fully custom 1911 45 build.  I use it for lots of competitions, but not for USPSA.

What other competitions other than USPSA? Only other ones I've seen in my area is IDPA and Steel Challenge which is better shot in 9mm.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, pskys2 said:

Strangely I think IDPA CO allows an ESP pistol and a  1911 is good for ESP.

must be first time ever IDPA figured out something USPSA still hasnt.
Namely,, once strikers came out kinda dumb separating guns based on triggers.

To the OP though. I would hazzard a guess that the competition market is a drop in the bucket to the overall gun market.
Every male and many female person I know and associate with have guns..  NONE other than me have ever shot a match that I know of or they mention.

5 hours ago, ramnj said:

What other competitions other than USPSA? Only other ones I've seen in my area is IDPA and Steel Challenge which is better shot in 9mm.

Can't be bothered with IDPA.  There are plenty of outlaw steel matches, plus plates and pins and 2x4 shoots.  45 in a 1911 is no disadvantage in any of them, and an advantage in some, especially pins and 2x4.  I shoot USPSA Open with either 40sw or 9mm major, depending on mood.  I shoot SCSA open with 9mm minor using  either a 2011 of a 1911, depending.  If I 'm shooting USPSA the following day, I use the 2011.  If not, the 1911.