Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why revolvers?

Esquire

We have Cowboy action here for you types but it involves costume.
I'd love to go fast with my cap and ball guns, but I don't play dress up.

After shooting USPSA, the cowboy stages look a little dull though.

I've always preferred shooting, carrying and working on revolvers, so it just seemed natural to shoot them in competition.

Thankfully some revolver manufacturers decided to make eight shot models to keep the sport going.

I do appreciate a fine crafted bottom feeder, but I just don't get that warm and tingly feeling shooting them.

SJC  

I shoot them (only at club level) because I prefer the recoil impulse over semis.  And I feel that they fit my hand very well.  Working on them is a joy and very complex and simplistic all at once.  I like loading for them as there is no worry about cycling the slide.  I also enjoy when I'm at a match, having guys come up and ask "Why a revolver?".  In all they make me smile a bit more than a semi ever does.  

I also really enjoy the challenge.  One poster mentioned that there is no "cheating" a wheel gun.  Shooting one keeps me on my toes.  I enjoy the self-challenge.  

Good luck getting it all figured out.  

On 3/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, Tophernj said:

One poster mentioned that there is no "cheating" a wheel gun.

ORLY?!

Because the last IDPA match I was at, I was immediately informed I was cheating because I was using moonclips. Ignoring that it was perfectly legal since I was shooting magnum power factor, IDPA revo is such a weird beast - less barrel, less ammo, twice the power compared to most divisions. They must have been dealing with some really fast revo shooters when they were writing the rules given the Harrison Bergeron-type limitations they imposed on the division.

Anyway, I've just always liked revolvers with no real reason as to why. ICORE L6 is my favorite division because I like the feel of an L-frame more than an N, but I've finally settled on some agreeable N grips for ICORE Limited and USPSA. 

Not to bash anyone’s game but I’ve always looked at iPda as rule crazy.  And the more I hear the less I question that assumption 

You’re not wrong. It’s funny how the “realistic” game needs so many extra rules to make it competitive. Not realistic, mind you, because I guess it’s only realistic to carry magnum rounds in moons but not standard PF.

Coz... reasons.

It makes it literally impossible to use a 9mm revolver. Again, I guess 9mm is ONLY sufficient protection in SSP, ESP, BUG, CO, and PCC... but put it in a revo and suddenly it loses ALL stopping power. Or something. And 8-shot revolvers OBVIOUSLY don’t exist in the wild despite S&W making a snubnose 627 (to say nothing of 4” guns).

Sigh.

All my whining aside, those are the rules of the game and I’ll stick to them when I play it. It gives me more time behind a wheel gun so I’ll take it. Plus... I look damn good in a vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

ORLY?!

Because the last IDPA match I was at, I was immediately informed I was cheating because I was using moonclips. Ignoring that it was perfectly legal since I was shooting magnum power factor, IDPA revo is such a weird beast - less barrel, less ammo, twice the power compared to most divisions. They must have been dealing with some really fast revo shooters when they were writing the rules given the Harrison Bergeron-type limitations they imposed on the division.

Anyway, I've just always liked revolvers with no real reason as to why. ICORE L6 is my favorite division because I like the feel of an L-frame more than an N, but I've finally settled on some agreeable N grips for ICORE Limited and USPSA. 

Not quite what I meant. 

I mean that you can't be off your game when shooting wheel guns as, IMHO, they are less forgiving of form errors than a semi with a 4 pound single action trigger with a clean break.  

Not quite what I meant. 
I mean that you can't be off your game when shooting wheel guns as, IMHO, they are less forgiving of form errors than a semi with a 4 pound single action trigger with a clean break.  

I get that. I just saw an opening for a humorous(?) anecdote and took it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I say to my friends shooting auto's, I'm having more fun that you!

I love shooting my auto's but I really love shooting my wheelies.

My love for wheelies came from shooting PPC in the '80's, before auto's were allowed in the 1200 and 1500 match (that change came after PD's went to auto's).  

I shoot the revolver well.  I've shot IDPA matches and not won, maybe won SSR using a 686, but was most accurate often.

With a revolver you must plan where you reloads are and try not to makeup shots.

When I shot IPSC I used  a 625.

If nothing else, a revolver will teach you trigger control.

Edited by RePete

3 hours ago, Tophernj said:

Stupid internet with no voice intonation...  😎

Haha, no worries!

3 hours ago, RePete said:

I've shot IDPA matches and not won, maybe won SSR using a 686, but was most accurate often.

That's one thing I enjoy about IDPA and ICORE - you can't burn down a stage shooting alpha/charlies and beat someone who went somewhat slower and shot all A's.

That's one thing I enjoy about IDPA and ICORE - you can't burn down a stage shooting alpha/charlies and beat someone who went somewhat slower and shot all A's.
You can actually. For years I shot ICORE too slowly. It doesn't take a second to pull you sight into the A zone right?

You have to shoot pretty clean, about like shooting minor in USPSA. If you drop 4 Charlies and shoot 5 seconds faster, it's still a better score. I see many folks shooting clean, but too slow.

2 hours ago, PatJones said:

You have to shoot pretty clean, about like shooting minor in USPSA. If you drop 4 Charlies and shoot 5 seconds faster, it's still a better score. I see many folks shooting clean, but too slow.

Challenge accepted. See you Sunday?

Edited by matteekay

Challenge accepted. See you Sunday?
I wish. I'll be running the gunshop Sunday. 5 Sundays this month so that'll change the weekend I work.

I should be at ICORE at the end of April and I'll be shooting revo full time thru the Rocky Mountain regional.

• 2 weeks later...

I love revolvers because they simply feel good in my hand, solid and with a simplicity which I really like.  They're a classic look and feel that's hard to beat.  Even my semi-auto buddy gets a smile on his face when shooting some full power magnum loads.  Kind of like the feeling you get when hearing the sound of a sweet American V-8.  Sure, the Ferrari's and Porsches sound amazing, but there's just something about a sweet sounding V-8 that puts a smile on a red blooded male.

I've carried and used revolvers most of my 72 years. I've owned and shot about everything in USPSA except the carry concealed. Mostly a C shooter because I'd bring a different toy to every match but my N frame 625 with an Apex trigger and customized Hogue Big Butt made me a B and always put a smile on my face every time I strapped it on. That plus I enjoyed outgunning the kids with the plastic guns. Not all of them, mind you, but I pissed off enough of them to make it fun😜 .