Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Esquire

Why revolvers?

Recommended Posts

I'm still new to competitive shooting.  Really new.  But I'm shooting revolvers.  I think I do it because in my mind it's harder to shoot revolvers well than just about any other handgun. 

Why do you guys shoot wheelguns in competition? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot them because I like them better than semi autos. I've been shooting them in competition since 1979. I have a pretty good stable of really nice ones now, so not much incentive to switch over.  Besides, I think I'm about to get this revo shooting thing figured out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Esquire said:

I'm still new to competitive shooting.  Really new.  But I'm shooting revolvers.  I think I do it because in my mind it's harder to shoot revolvers well than just about any other handgun. 

Why do you guys shoot wheelguns in competition? 

 

It's harder to shoot with a cinder-block duct-taped to your butt too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot revolvers because I enjor shooting them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

 

It's harder to shoot with a cinder-block duct-taped to your butt too.

 

Such insights.

 

Didn't your momma teach you about what to do if you have nothing useful or nice to say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They say revolver is the easiest division to win all the trophies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I feel like this thread has the potential to derail quickly. However, here are my honest thoughts:

 

1. I like revolversbut not at the expense of semis. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

 

2. When I first started shooting I found the double action pull of the revolver was more accurate for me (it helped me stabilize myself), rather than jerking the trigger. Now that I have a little more experience this isn’t necessarily the case, but it was when I started and probably influenced me.

 

3. I grew up playing “cops”, and the cap guns were all styled after double action revolvers. In contrast, men in my dad’s generation grew up playing “cowboys” and some of the guys I shoot with seem to like single action revolvers.

 

4. I hate losing brass.

 

5. Jerry Miculek

 

I’m sure there are a million other reasons why someone would prefer one type of firearm over another, it is all personal preference after all. I tend to think all the divisions have something to offer, and am having trouble trying to stay committed to only one this year.

Edited by J_Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow the font seemed to change on my last post mid way down, and I have no idea why (typing on my phone). No emphasis was implied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up watching Steve McGarrett and Mannix shoot bad guys with revolvers. Maybe that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

 I've been shooting them in since 1979. I think I'm about to get this revo shooting thing figured out.

 

That's why I don't shoot revolver - it takes 40 years to get this "thing figured out".     😇     🤣

 

p.s.  elguapo, this is merely a joke to lighten the mood - discussion groups don't live on ONLY

         "useful or nice" - also humor.     :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot revolver because its hard. Last USPSA season I shot either open or revolver, I figured full hard or full easy everything else is a half measure. 

 

I also shoot revolver at ICORE because the matches are fun, compared with the 90ish shooter USPSA club matches I attend, the sub 20 shooter ICORE matches are so much more laid back and relaxed.

 

Mostly I shoot revo (and every other division but L10 and PCC) because I like shooting handguns of all flavors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MWP said:

They say revolver is the easiest division to win all the trophies. 

Only if you don't show up.

Honestly that's why I started. Less competition cause I'm trying to get into the world shoot. However I've found that less doesn't mean "easier," it just means the guys at the top are fanatical. I put in a ton of hard work this past year, and while I made GM, it wasn't really a huge improvement in terms of percentage of the top guys.

 

And the thing is, a good revolver has rock solid fundamentals, so they can pick up damn near any gun and be more than competent with it. You can't cheat with a revolver. All your skills have to be top notch or it won't work. I think that's why most people don't want to shoot it.

Plus my mentor started out shooting revolvers, has a pretty extensive Colt and Smith collection, and there's some dude named Jerry Miculek that is kinda famous for shooting revo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, swordfish said:

 

And the thing is, a good revolver has rock solid fundamentals, so they can pick up damn near any gun and be more than competent with it. You can't cheat with a revolver. All your skills have to be top notch or it won't work. I think that's why most people don't want to shoot it.

 

this ^^^^

 

The biggest thing shooting a revo taught me is that aiming and trigger press are two things you do at the same time not one after the other, something that many learning with a light SA trigger often do not learn for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fun and I shoot them better.  I'm guessing the DA forced that extra bit of visual patience that I don't use when shooting my 2011.  Well not anymore anyway. 

 

ICORE is a much nicer group without the rooster swinging that I've found in USPSA.  We travel for ICORE matches, so 2 hobbies in one.  Traveling to USPSA matches?  Why, I can shoot matches all day long around here. Always wanted to visit the US but doing that for it's own sake wasn't in the cards.  Add shooting a match to the mix, hell yea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Revolvers feel more natural in my hand, maybe my avatar shows why?

2) I do relatively well with them with no more training than I spent on semi-autos.

3) Just as in the early days of IPSC/USPSA, the guys and gals shooting it were special and great to be around.  The personalities that tend to creep in when a discipline becomes really popular weren't there (those are luckily few though in USPSA).  There was a camaraderie among them that was special.

4) Sadly I drifted away so I'm not up to date now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I also shoot revolver at ICORE because the matches are fun, compared with the 90ish shooter USPSA club matches I attend, the sub 20 shooter ICORE matches are so much more laid back and relaxed.

 

+1

 

Also, there's a stronger sense of community when every shooter helps with stage tear down and re-make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot revolvers but only in ICORE. Classic 6 shot with speedloaders. I need to really put in some practice time to improve but I enjoy shooting Single Stack to much to put it down for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

That's why I don't shoot revolver - it takes 40 years to get this "thing figured out".     😇     🤣

 

p.s.  elguapo, this is merely a joke to lighten the mood - discussion groups don't live on ONLY

         "useful or nice" - also humor.     :)

 

Jefe - do you know what a plethora is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

 

Jefe - do you know what a plethora is?

Sure.   a plethora of what ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pinatas, of course.  You called me El Guapo which reminded me of this scene. More humor.

 

Edited by Toolguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I generally prefer round guns to those with slides.  If you could suppress a 15 round .45 revolver I'd likely have no use for semi autos at all.

 

In fact, SA revolvers are my favorite.  I got into DA revolvers mostly by accident when I decided to try run and gun stuff. 

 

If we had some crazy combination of USPSA, Steel Challenge, and ICORE that required single actions, that would be fun.   You would likely need to do speed courses with 12-18 rounds though.  Nobody wants to stand and  reload a SA on the clock.  But three wheel guns on the belt would be pretty badass!

Edited by Alaskan454

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Enosverse needs like buttons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I generally prefer round guns to those with slides.  If you could suppress a 15 round .45 revolver I'd likely have no use for semi autos at all.

 

In fact, SA revolvers are my favorite.  I got into DA revolvers mostly by accident when I decided to try run and gun stuff. 

 

If we had some crazy combination of USPSA, Steel Challenge, and ICORE that required single actions, that would be fun.   You would likely need to do speed courses with 12-18 rounds though.  Nobody wants to stand and  reload a SA on the clock.  But three wheel guns on the belt would be pretty badass!

 

We have Cowboy action here for you types but it involves costume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

The Enosverse needs like buttons!

 

In fact, I just made that suggestion in the support forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

3My wife is fascinated by SASS and the costumes.  We have enough with just getting better with IPSC and icore

 

And more guns.... noooooo hell i’ve just got 2 new custom 929’s from Olhasso (paid for, importation takes a while) and a new svi.  No more $ and room in the safe for SA wheels 

Edited by MikeyScuba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...