Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why revolvers?

Esquire

I'm still new to competitive shooting.  Really new.  But I'm shooting revolvers.  I think I do it because in my mind it's harder to shoot revolvers well than just about any other handgun. 

Why do you guys shoot wheelguns in competition? 

I shoot them because I like them better than semi autos. I've been shooting them in competition since 1979. I have a pretty good stable of really nice ones now, so not much incentive to switch over.  Besides, I think I'm about to get this revo shooting thing figured out.

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

I'm still new to competitive shooting.  Really new.  But I'm shooting revolvers.  I think I do it because in my mind it's harder to shoot revolvers well than just about any other handgun. 

Why do you guys shoot wheelguns in competition? 

It's harder to shoot with a cinder-block duct-taped to your butt too.

I feel like this thread has the potential to derail quickly. However, here are my honest thoughts:

1. I like revolversbut not at the expense of semis. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

2. When I first started shooting I found the double action pull of the revolver was more accurate for me (it helped me stabilize myself), rather than jerking the trigger. Now that I have a little more experience this isn’t necessarily the case, but it was when I started and probably influenced me.

3. I grew up playing “cops”, and the cap guns were all styled after double action revolvers. In contrast, men in my dad’s generation grew up playing “cowboys” and some of the guys I shoot with seem to like single action revolvers.

4. I hate losing brass.

5. Jerry Miculek

I’m sure there are a million other reasons why someone would prefer one type of firearm over another, it is all personal preference after all. I tend to think all the divisions have something to offer, and am having trouble trying to stay committed to only one this year.

Edited by J_Allen

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've been shooting them in since 1979. I think I'm about to get this revo shooting thing figured out.

That's why I don't shoot revolver - it takes 40 years to get this "thing figured out".     😇     🤣

p.s.  elguapo, this is merely a joke to lighten the mood - discussion groups don't live on ONLY

"useful or nice" - also humor.     :)

I shoot revolver because its hard. Last USPSA season I shot either open or revolver, I figured full hard or full easy everything else is a half measure. 

I also shoot revolver at ICORE because the matches are fun, compared with the 90ish shooter USPSA club matches I attend, the sub 20 shooter ICORE matches are so much more laid back and relaxed.

Mostly I shoot revo (and every other division but L10 and PCC) because I like shooting handguns of all flavors.

53 minutes ago, MWP said:

They say revolver is the easiest division to win all the trophies. 

Only if you don't show up.

Honestly that's why I started. Less competition cause I'm trying to get into the world shoot. However I've found that less doesn't mean "easier," it just means the guys at the top are fanatical. I put in a ton of hard work this past year, and while I made GM, it wasn't really a huge improvement in terms of percentage of the top guys.

And the thing is, a good revolver has rock solid fundamentals, so they can pick up damn near any gun and be more than competent with it. You can't cheat with a revolver. All your skills have to be top notch or it won't work. I think that's why most people don't want to shoot it.

Plus my mentor started out shooting revolvers, has a pretty extensive Colt and Smith collection, and there's some dude named Jerry Miculek that is kinda famous for shooting revo.

6 minutes ago, swordfish said:

And the thing is, a good revolver has rock solid fundamentals, so they can pick up damn near any gun and be more than competent with it. You can't cheat with a revolver. All your skills have to be top notch or it won't work. I think that's why most people don't want to shoot it.

this ^^^^

The biggest thing shooting a revo taught me is that aiming and trigger press are two things you do at the same time not one after the other, something that many learning with a light SA trigger often do not learn for a long time. 

It's fun and I shoot them better.  I'm guessing the DA forced that extra bit of visual patience that I don't use when shooting my 2011.  Well not anymore anyway. 

ICORE is a much nicer group without the rooster swinging that I've found in USPSA.  We travel for ICORE matches, so 2 hobbies in one.  Traveling to USPSA matches?  Why, I can shoot matches all day long around here. Always wanted to visit the US but doing that for it's own sake wasn't in the cards.  Add shooting a match to the mix, hell yea!

1) Revolvers feel more natural in my hand, maybe my avatar shows why?

2) I do relatively well with them with no more training than I spent on semi-autos.

3) Just as in the early days of IPSC/USPSA, the guys and gals shooting it were special and great to be around.  The personalities that tend to creep in when a discipline becomes really popular weren't there (those are luckily few though in USPSA).  There was a camaraderie among them that was special.

4) Sadly I drifted away so I'm not up to date now.

36 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I also shoot revolver at ICORE because the matches are fun, compared with the 90ish shooter USPSA club matches I attend, the sub 20 shooter ICORE matches are so much more laid back and relaxed.

+1

Also, there's a stronger sense of community when every shooter helps with stage tear down and re-make.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's why I don't shoot revolver - it takes 40 years to get this "thing figured out".     😇     🤣

p.s.  elguapo, this is merely a joke to lighten the mood - discussion groups don't live on ONLY

"useful or nice" - also humor.     :)

Jefe - do you know what a plethora is?

I generally prefer round guns to those with slides.  If you could suppress a 15 round .45 revolver I'd likely have no use for semi autos at all.

In fact, SA revolvers are my favorite.  I got into DA revolvers mostly by accident when I decided to try run and gun stuff. 

If we had some crazy combination of USPSA, Steel Challenge, and ICORE that required single actions, that would be fun.   You would likely need to do speed courses with 12-18 rounds though.  Nobody wants to stand and  reload a SA on the clock.  But three wheel guns on the belt would be pretty badass!

Edited by Alaskan454

5 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I generally prefer round guns to those with slides.  If you could suppress a 15 round .45 revolver I'd likely have no use for semi autos at all.

In fact, SA revolvers are my favorite.  I got into DA revolvers mostly by accident when I decided to try run and gun stuff. 

If we had some crazy combination of USPSA, Steel Challenge, and ICORE that required single actions, that would be fun.   You would likely need to do speed courses with 12-18 rounds though.  Nobody wants to stand and  reload a SA on the clock.  But three wheel guns on the belt would be pretty badass!

We have Cowboy action here for you types but it involves costume.

3My wife is fascinated by SASS and the costumes.  We have enough with just getting better with IPSC and icore

And more guns.... noooooo hell i’ve just got 2 new custom 929’s from Olhasso (paid for, importation takes a while) and a new svi.  No more $ and room in the safe for SA wheels 

Edited by MikeyScuba