Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match sign up and CoF question.

nick779

Hopefully this is the correct spot to ask this, still learning my way around.

This will be my first year casually going to USPSA matches and I just had some general questions on the match itself.

When it comes to signing up for matches on Practicscore, is it feasible to wait until 1-2 days before a L1 match to sign up? Im basically watching the weather as I have no intention of shooting in the rain.

Also, when the match actually starts, is each stage run multiple times, or is it "one and done"? The action pistol matches I went to over the winter have been run both ways.

Hopefully this is the correct spot to ask this, still learning my way around.

This will be my first year casually going to USPSA matches and I just had some general questions on the match itself.

When it comes to signing up for matches on Practicscore, is it feasible to wait until 1-2 days before a L1 match to sign up? Im basically watching the weather as I have no intention of shooting in the rain.

Also, when the match actually starts, is each stage run multiple times, or is it "one and done"? The action pistol matches I went to over the winter have been run both ways.

Depending on the popularity of your local match the may or may not be spots available via practiscore. unless they allow walk ins i'd go ahead and register then drop the match if needed.

Secondly, the match is one and done on every stage. Local matches are a solid gauge of what you're strengths and weaknesses but definitely don't replace practice. Good luck to you and enjoy!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Depending on the size of the match and how many shooters it is fine to wait. Several of our matches here in the Houston area fill up several days in advance & have waiting lists so may not get in. Small matches, no problem. Weather is a factor. Most you don't pay up front on PS so signing up ahead is not an issue. I know some MD's get a little PO'ed when people sign up & don't show. 

LVL1 USPSA matches are generally 1 and done. 

gerritm

It’s going to depend on how fast your club match fills.  I know my match is always full by then and several others as well. I’d sign up early and withdraw if you can’t make it.  Don’t be the guy who signs up and no shows especially for a busy and popular match

1 hour ago, nick779 said:

Im basically watching the weather

Since you're new to practiscore once you register you can also withdraw online. So you can register early, ensuring your spot in the match and then if you don't like the weather send the request to withdraw through your practiscore registration. And as others have said, it is kind of poor form (I've been guilty of this) to register for a match and then if you don't show to not do the housekeeping on your end to withdraw. Especially at matches with limited space.

yeah sign up asap so the match doesn't fill up and you can't fit in.  but def withdraw asap as soon as you know you won't be going so others can take your spot.

generally there is one stage per bay, you shoot that one and go to the next bay/stage.

I run the registration for our local match. I always advise to just go ahead and sign up, but always have the courtesy of withdrawing in Practiscore at least the night before the match. Having people no show the morning of puts us in a crunch trying to rebalance squads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It really depends on the club and the popularity of the match.  At one club you are automatically placed on a wait list.  You have less than 60 seconds to sign up after registrations opens or you will certainly be so far down on the wait list it is unlikely you will be invited to register.  That club squads ROs first and encourages an even distribution throughout the squads.  Then the allow others to register in the order they were placed on the list.

A second club only allows 75 shooters and registration is full within 90 seconds, except in Winter.  The Jan match is almost never full, and you have a couple of minutes for the Feb match.

A third club allows the first 60 registrants to squad.  The next 15 get placed in the online wait list.  They will shoot, but they don't get their choice of squads.  The first 60 fills in under two minutes.

A fourth club works similarly, but walkons will be accommodated as long as the added numbers will not cause the shoot to go past 4 PM.  I don't know how quickly that fills, because I am staff and register earlier.

The people who run the Practiscore setup  at shoots tell me they despise people who withdraw the night before a match.  Sometimes they have already downloaded the entries.  Also, there is no way to notify the next person on the wait list that a spot opened.  Usually the list in gone over on Thu evening and waitlisters who will be allowed to register and squad are notified on Fri morning.  Withdraw late a couple three times and you'll get a rep.  You'll also be placed at the very end of the wait list.  Many clubs will prioritize ROs and USPSA members who show up for every match no matter what; also people who come early and help set up. 

Another hint:  if you do sign up for a match and go, make sure you are well within the match day registration window.  Many clubs start deleting names after the deadline.  It's a pain to reenter and resquad if you show up late and they allow you to shoot.  Several club have an absolute deadline.  Show up after it has passed and you will not be allowed to shoot.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Another hint:  if you do sign up for a match and go, make sure you are well within the match day registration window.  Many clubs start deleting names after the deadline.  It's a pain to reenter and resquad if you show up late and they allow you to shoot.  Several club have an absolute deadline.  Show up after it has passed and you will not be allowed to shoot.

I started doing that at my local because many shooters wanted to show up after all the work was done and just find their squad and start shooting. LOL

ONCEwe started using PS it turned into an even better idea.

We shut down our on-site registration/check in at 9:45. This gives us 15 minutes to get everything sorted before the match starts. During this time we take all shooters who pre-registered, but haven't shown up and stick them in Squad 98. We then squad walk-ups and balance the squads as best we can before syncing the scoring devices to the master tablet. If a pre-registered shooter shows up during that 15 minutes they can still shoot the match, but they've basically forfeited their self squading choice and go to whatever squad has room for me to put them.

r, that's an interesting idea.  You don't have to reenter, just reassign squads.  Do you then delete squad 98 after the 15 minutes passes, or just leave it a no shows?
We leave 98 until the end of the match and just delete it before posting scores. Very rarely someone shows up after 10 and the MD will make an exception and let them shoot. This way they are technically still in the pads that at this point have already headed toward the bays. They just have to flip over to 98 and score them there.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, rowdyb said:

Since you're new to practiscore once you register you can also withdraw online. So you can register early, ensuring your spot in the match and then if you don't like the weather send the request to withdraw through your practiscore registration. And as others have said, it is kind of poor form (I've been guilty of this) to register for a match and then if you don't show to not do the housekeeping on your end to withdraw. Especially at matches with limited space.

Also if you have a buddy you want to sign up with, you may have to do it sooner, rather than later.