Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Hitting Slide on 2011

BelRiose

I just made the leap from striker-fired guns to a 2011 platform (6” custom STI), and I’m having some issues with the slide not returning to battery. The problem seems to be that my right thumb, which is resting on the safety, is brushing the slide and slowing it down just enough to prevent it from going all the way forward. Any recommendations on equipment or techniques that could help out?

My current thoughts are:

1. Get a safety that keeps my thumb off the slide (if such a thing exists)

2. Get a heavier spring to return the slide with more force

3. Change up my techique/grip somehow (TBD)

Limcat, PT, and Swenson shielded safeties will prevent this. Sandman's Limcat shielded safety is awesome and feels way better than the Swensons. I would trim the ledge significantly with my grip.

They feel... weird if you're used to having your thumb right in line with the top of the grip, since they'll push it out to the side a little. But you can hug nice and tight and never fear for touching the slide.

I just made the leap from striker-fired guns to a 2011 platform (6” custom STI), and I’m having some issues with the slide not returning to battery. The problem seems to be that my right thumb, which is resting on the safety, is brushing the slide and slowing it down just enough to prevent it from going all the way forward. Any recommendations on equipment or techniques that could help out?

My current thoughts are:
I had the same exact issue because of my big hands. Went to a single sided safety and problem solved

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I had the same exact issue because of my big hands. Went to a single sided safety and problem solved

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Huh?? A single sided safety does nothing to  fix dragging the strong hand thumb on the slide.  Needs a shield.

Another vote for DoubleTap here but the Limcat version looks good

14 hours ago, BelRiose said:

How much fitting do they typically require? Gunsmith fit, or amateur dremel enthusiast (i.e. me)?

It's different for every gun, every time... Lol

You won't know how much fitting it'll really need until you've got the part, your frame, and your ignition. Generally I'd say machined parts will be easiest to fit because the tolerances are better, and they'll probably last longer.

If you can understand how the part is intended to function, you'll be well positioned to fit it. Use sharpie, check often, and go slowly and you'll probably be fine. Brazos has a great guide on their website.

If you've never installed a safety before, I always advise buying an inexpensive Wilson or Ed Brown single side safety and fitting that first. If you screw up you're only out 30 bucks, and if you do it correctly, you have a spare backup safety that's fit to your gun. 

8 hours ago, Aiden said:

It's different for every gun, every time... Lol

You won't know how much fitting it'll really need until you've got the part, your frame, and your ignition. Generally I'd say machined parts will be easiest to fit because the tolerances are better, and they'll probably last longer.

If you can understand how the part is intended to function, you'll be well positioned to fit it. Use sharpie, check often, and go slowly and you'll probably be fine. Brazos has a great guide on their website.

If you've never installed a safety before, I always advise buying an inexpensive Wilson or Ed Brown single side safety and fitting that first. If you screw up you're only out 30 bucks, and if you do it correctly, you have a spare backup safety that's fit to your gun. 

Sounds like good advice for lots of the smaller, more expensive parts. I’ll keep that one in mind for this project and for the future.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, BelRiose said:

My current thoughts are:

They work, are low profile; if you're not sure how to install them and don't want to risk it on a $$ part; get an experienced 2011/1911 shooter to mentor you and buy him some beer.

1 hour ago, blueorison said:

They work, are low profile; if you're not sure how to install them and don't want to risk it on a $$ part; get an experienced 2011/1911 shooter to mentor you and buy him some beer.

Funny how nearly every shooter I know will accept payment in the form of beer!

I’m definitely keeping a couple of guys in drinks, pizza, and tools. 

To follow up on this story, I had a good friend and 1911/2011 aficionado take a look at the gun before I made any adjustments or purchases. He’s a full time shooting instructor, and thought that my grip probably wasn’t interfering with the slide enough that it would stop out of battery.

After opening her up, he recommended a few “maybe this will help”-type part replacements, but his biggest find was that the ejector was installed without an ejector pin, and was likely not fitted to the gun. I’m going to go through his list of replacement parts, and have him help

me out with the ejector. Hopefully that will alleviate my issue without the need for shielded safeties. 

Do you have a distinct smudge of what used to be your skin cells and oil on the slide after you shoot? Or is it just not returning to battery for other reasons? Blood is also a good indicator if you cut yourself on serrations.

Similar question is if it returns to battery every time when you consciously move your thumb away from the slide when firing.

The serrations definitely touch and rub my thumb, but not enough to draw blood or create discomfort (at least in a few hundred rounds). It was only happening about once every 20 or 25 shots, so I can’t say for sure if it would have happened whether my thumb was consciously moved away or not. It did not in the small sample size I have so far.

My current plan is to fix the issues I know about,  then take it out again for some further experimentation. 

Gotcha. Someone who will remain nameless in this thread has regularly left part of his thumb on one of my guns (now his). Very obvious it was happening, even if it didn't necessarily cause a malfunction. Hence the shielded safety.