Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

If anyone has any misgivings about buying an Evo or Revo because of the PM.... You can order it without. 

I ordered a basic EVO - since I already have two Revo’s - without a PM or case feeder. I added the regular primer system because I will be running black powder only on this press - no electricity. Paid $2200ish shipped with a x54 conversion. Waiting on a 4570 and 4440 conversion which will probably be delayed due to the crazy world we are living in.....

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dosproduction said:

Does anyone know if you can put the trimmer above the priming station. Reason being I want to put a designated deprimer in slot 1, then a sizer in slot 2 with the swagger. This is for one pass 233.

they have a one pass rifle processing plan on their website. What does it say? 

On 3/23/2020 at 10:54 PM, DJRyan13 said:

If anyone has any misgivings about buying an Evo or Revo because of the PM.... You can order it without. 

I ordered a basic EVO - since I already have two Revo’s - without a PM or case feeder. I added the regular primer system because I will be running black powder only on this press - no electricity. Paid $2200ish shipped with a x54 conversion. Waiting on a 4570 and 4440 conversion which will probably be delayed due to the crazy world we are living in.....

Awesome to hear that the basic EVO is available in a bare-bones configuration. I'm curious as to how much it costs without the standard priming system and x54 conversion. I don't see the option on the website, I'm guessing you had to call in a non-standard order? I'm definitely interested in one without the Hornady case-feeder (been reading that it is quite prone to frequent jams), mechanical powder measure (would be looking to buy the digital one separately), and standard priming system (would be looking to buy the soon-to-be-released $500 primer collator).

Edited by kamber

35 minutes ago, kamber said:

Awesome to hear that the basic EVO is available in a bare-bones configuration. I'm curious as to how much it costs without the standard priming system and x54 conversion. I don't see the option on the website, I'm guessing you had to call in a non-standard order? I'm definitely interested in one without the Hornady case-feeder (been reading that it is quite prone to frequent jams), mechanical powder measure (would be looking to buy the digital one separately), and standard priming system (would be looking to buy the soon-to-be-released $500 primer collator).

Mark 7 will release a new primer collator ??

48 minutes ago, kamber said:

You have to call, chat or email and ask nicely. I wanted nothing to do with a Hornady case feeder. I needed standard priming because I don’t want electricity on press. I have the original primer collators on my two Revos and it is super nice not filling tubes. I didn’t ask if they sell it without conversion as I needed x54 anyway. Joe Angelo has been my sales rep.... Reasonable guy. 

joea@lymanproducts.com

1 hour ago, DJRyan13 said:

You have to call, chat or email and ask nicely. I wanted nothing to do with a Hornady case feeder. I needed standard priming because I don’t want electricity on press. I have the original primer collators on my two Revos and it is super nice not filling tubes. I didn’t ask if they sell it without conversion as I needed x54 anyway. Joe Angelo has been my sales rep.... Reasonable guy. 

joea@lymanproducts.com

I appreciate the heads ups! Just curious, what is your case feeder of choice? I'm definitely looking forward to the new primer collator being released, especially if it actually ends up being 1/4 the cost of the current one; $2K+ is just way out of my budget for the feature, despite how nice it is to have.

51 minutes ago, kamber said:

I appreciate the heads ups! Just curious, what is your case feeder of choice? I'm definitely looking forward to the new primer collator being released, especially if it actually ends up being 1/4 the cost of the current one; $2K+ is just way out of my budget for the feature, despite how nice it is to have.

I was comfortable with Dillon which does work ok but it’s not 100% reliable. You do need to order the case feed pole or supply own. If you plan to get autodrive, get their pole while attaches to base plate of autodrive (at least that is what it does on Revo’s - ask Joe). If u don’t get autodrive, a more solid option is using black pipe and mount to your bench. More solid = more reliable case feeder. I personally am tired of certain cartridges not working reliable enough in Dillon so just ordered a Feedinator. The 14” Mark7 is extremely reliable but a HUGE pain to convert. I run a vast number of calibers on my machines so I am not using my 14” I got with first Revo - huge waste of money. I didn’t get a case feeder with second Revo for that reason.

In summary, cheapest ok option is Dillon...

Feedinator may be a winner in terms of reliability and speed. Can’t wait to try it... they are slow to ship - sounds like a small operation. 

Mark 7 14” if you can afford it and only run a couple calibers is sweet.
M7 may have improved the Hornady feeder with their modifications. I just have no experience with it. I just hated their feeder when I owned their Devil’s spawn of a machine... maybe someone else here can chime in... 

When I bought my Revo’s, primer feeder was a bit less. You used to be able to negotiate a little. Seems Lyman has standardized stuff. I miss Kristen my last sales gal. She even texted me crazy girls night out photos of her and friends. Ha! No boys night out photos from Joe yet... fine with me.

Haven’t had any trouble with the 3D ramp on mine using 9mm. I did with the initial spring system that was installed, luckily ramp was included. Flawless since.

I’m using the mechanical powder measure on my Evo w Autodrive and it’s been great. I’d read some posts prior to its arrival about issues (although those look to be from old designs mainly) so I have been checking at the beginning and ending of each session and it’s been really consistent with titegroup that I use. 

7 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

I’m using the mechanical powder measure on my Evo w Autodrive and it’s been great. I’d read some posts prior to its arrival about issues (although those look to be from old designs mainly) so I have been checking at the beginning and ending of each session and it’s been really consistent with titegroup that I use. 

I think I read somewhere that they came out with a revised mechanical powder measure at some point; when was your Evo purchased?

Edited by kamber

2 hours ago, kamber said:

Awesome, thanks. If you have them, I'm curious as to what kind of standard deviations were you looking at across your measurements?

The load I’m loading right now calls for 3.38gr powder. Setting up the powder measure I dropped several batches of 10 loads onto my scale and once dialed in always got 33.7-33.8gr.  Now I’ll do 5 drops and double it. Getting to be overkill at this point. It just comes down to when your comfortable with results especially when switching to new machine. 

1 minute ago, PokerNGuns said:

The load I’m loading right now calls for 3.38gr powder. Setting up the powder measure I dropped several batches of 10 loads onto my scale and once dialed in always got 33.7-33.8gr.  Now I’ll do 5 drops and double it. Getting to be overkill at this point. It just comes down to when your comfortable with results especially when switching to new machine. 

Gotcha, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Was in contact with a Mark 7 rep to place an order for an Evo, and asked about the ETA of the new Oscillating Automated Primer Collator. Here's what I heard back:

"We are hoping the new priming system will be ready by late June early July, but that can change at any time with the current situation.  I was told it was going to be an MSRP of $499.99 but I am not sure."

That looks pretty nice, glad they put a primer orientation sensor right in the feeder this time, that was smart. Wonder if that will be offered as an upgrade to the Gen 1 primer collators? I still waste an occasional primer if I get an upside down one that isn't caught until it hits the Primer Orientation Sensor on the press.

2 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

That looks pretty nice, glad they put a primer orientation sensor right in the feeder this time, that was smart. Wonder if that will be offered as an upgrade to the Gen 1 primer collators? I still waste an occasional primer if I get an upside down one that isn't caught until it hits the Primer Orientation Sensor on the press.

There are users here who have reported that after speaking with Mark 7, they were told that they would have the opportunity to trade in their current set of "optimized die pack" dies for the new Lyman Pro-Series stainless steel ones once they come out. I think if you reached out to Mark 7, there is a decent chance that they would work something similar out with you if you'd like to upgrade your previous-gen primer collator. Worth a shot!

Although, I'm not sure this new system is going to be an "upgrade" compared to the current system, so much as a cheaper, lower-capacity option for those of us who can't/won't jump on a $2.2K system.

Edited by kamber

On 4/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, kamber said:

There are users here who have reported that after speaking with Mark 7, they were told that they would have the opportunity to trade in their current set of "optimized die pack" dies for the new Lyman Pro-Series stainless steel ones once they come out. I think if you reached out to Mark 7, there is a decent chance that they would work something similar out with you if you'd like to upgrade your previous-gen primer collator. Worth a shot!

Although, I'm not sure this new system is going to be an "upgrade" compared to the current system, so much as a cheaper, lower-capacity option for those of us who can't/won't jump on a $2.2K system.

I just meant the sensor on the feed ramp, I wonder if they're going to make a sensor upgrade for the Revolution collator that will pick them up like the new one does. 

Edited by Tanfastic