Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution - General Discussion

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice I never even unwrapped the handle 🥺 after coming from the dillon 1050 i was to excited to experience the autodrive.  Sensors for me are a  must as I do brief recon missions at my job (Tesla) to help design/develop manufacturing/prototype test equipment  some equipment is responsible creating millions of parts each week. sensors and vision systems are a must imo. The  only I would  do differently would be to go to the direct drive unit (revolution) as i feel it would be even more precise. If anyone is interested in the unit I may pop for the REVO 🧐   

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question from a guy that has a brand new still in the box RL1100 that is seriously considering getting a Mark7 Evolution system because of its extra stations and numerous other benefits....

I MUST have a powder check as part of my reloading press system and I also want to utilize a MBF and finally I want to be able to seat my bullet and crimp it separately so with this said is it fair to say I need to purchase a Mark7 Evolution rather than setting up my Dillon RL1100?  Thanks Mark 

Edited by Sigarmsp226

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Quick question from a guy that has a brand new still in the box RL1100 that is seriously considering getting a Mark7 Evolution system because of its extra stations and numerous other benefits....

I MUST have a powder check as part of my reloading press system and I also want to utilize a MBF and finally I want to be able to seat my bullet and crimp it separately so with this said is it fair to say I need to purchase a Mark7 Evolution rather than setting up my Dillon RL1100?  Thanks Mark 

Short answer is the RL1100 won't meet your needs. You would have to compromise one of the requirements.

There is a small amount of flexibility when setting up stations on a 1050/1100 but some stations are pretty much hardwired to a given task assuming you are going to do one-pass reloading.

There are 8 stations. Station 5 is the powder drop; can't setup the powder drop earlier in the rotation as station 4 is hardwired for the primer feed. Plus station 4 is not threaded if you have the stock Dillon toolhead. You can get an aftermarket toolhead with that station threaded but I'm having a hard time seeing how the powder drop could work there. Maybe someone has done it.

That leaves stations 6,7,8.

If you want a bullet feeder and separate seating and crimping then it goes in 6 with the seating die in 7 and the crimp die in 8.

If you want a powder check then it would go in 6, the bullet feeder in 7 and you would have to seat and crimp in 8.

Edited by ddc
clarifications

Thanks DDC - Now to contact Mark 7 to get a lead time and price..

One last question please - I have a Dillon 650 and all of the accessories that I intend on keeping...Will the Dillon powder check work on the Mark 7 Evolution or am I better off getting The Double Alpha powder check or does Mark 7 make one that goes with their Evolution system?

Mark 7 has 2 digital powder level sensors for the Revo & Evo pro.  You’ll get the shiny fat round one, foreigners get the skinny black one like I did.  It’s an ITAR thing.  Either way they are super easy to set up and it’s given me zero issues unlike the others.  The systems are finniky, like a highly tuned sports car.  Except the car probably has 1000% better documentation.  The non official Mark7 fb group is awesome however.

Mike - Thanks Sir for responding but I do not intend on automating my Evolution system (if I can find one in 9mm in stock anywhere)......On my Dillon 650 the powder “cop” is a battery operated unit that does not have to be hooked up to any power supply...My question was related to if Mark 7 offers a powder measure that does not require a power source to function...

Sorry for the stupid questions but I was only days away from opening the sealed Dillon box that contains my RL1100 and I am SERIOUSLY considering leaving it sealed and selling it if I can find a Evolution in 9mm....Thanks Again Sir...Mark

I don’t think Mark7 offers a “manual” one but I have the one for the 650 that took up valuable space on my 650 so it quickly got removed.  I don’t see why that couldn’t be used on an Evo.  Again I only used it for a few days like 2 + years ago. Or was it 3?   How time flies.....

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Mike - Thanks Sir for responding but I do not intend on automating my Evolution system (if I can find one in 9mm in stock anywhere)......On my Dillon 650 the powder “cop” is a battery operated unit that does not have to be hooked up to any power supply...My question was related to if Mark 7 offers a powder measure that does not require a power source to function...

Sorry for the stupid questions but I was only days away from opening the sealed Dillon box that contains my RL1100 and I am SERIOUSLY considering leaving it sealed and selling it if I can find a Evolution in 9mm....Thanks Again Sir...Mark

Those aren't stupid questions at all. Coming into either the Evo or the 1100 universe cold turkey there is quite a lot to absorb before you start to get the big picture.

If you think you're in the market for an EVO instead then I might hold off opening up the 1100 box. I would think an unopened NIB 1100 will sell in a heartbeat. If you go that route the trick might be finding an EVO in a reasonable period of time. I don't have a clue what their market is like during these Covid19 times but if it's like anything else gun related...

• 2 weeks later...

I will be purchasing a Mark 7 in the next month or so to add to my Dillon 1050.  I have noted my current bench has a little vertical flex when operating the 1050 with the manual handle.  Nothing that really causes any issues when loading, but I have given thought to replacing the bench top with a thicker bench top to get all of the flex out.  I do have the bench bolted to the wall so there is zero movement of the bench in the horizontal plane.  My question is, when I install the Mark 7 Auto-drive I was thinking I may not need to replace the bench top in that the motion the Auto-Drive creates would be more in the horizontal plane rather than in the vertical plane.  I am sure this would become instantly obvious once I have installed the Auto-Drive, but I was thinking of replacing the bench top before the Mark 7 Auto-Drive arrives, is the only reason I am asking.  If I can save the money in not replacing the bench top that would be ideal.  Has anyone that has installed a Mark 7 to an existing press noted differences in the forces applied to the bench when the unit is in operation.

23 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I will be purchasing a Mark 7 in the next month or so to add to my Dillon 1050.  I have noted my current bench has a little vertical flex when operating the 1050 with the manual handle.  Nothing that really causes any issues when loading, but I have given thought to replacing the bench top with a thicker bench top to get all of the flex out.  I do have the bench bolted to the wall so there is zero movement of the bench in the horizontal plane.  My question is, when I install the Mark 7 Auto-drive I was thinking I may not need to replace the bench top in that the motion the Auto-Drive creates would be more in the horizontal plane rather than in the vertical plane.  I am sure this would become instantly obvious once I have installed the Auto-Drive, but I was thinking of replacing the bench top before the Mark 7 Auto-Drive arrives, is the only reason I am asking.  If I can save the money in not replacing the bench top that would be ideal.  Has anyone that has installed a Mark 7 to an existing press noted differences in the forces applied to the bench when the unit is in operation.

You are correct. When operating in automation mode the primary force on the bench will be vertical and be from gravity, i.e. the weight of the unit.

There will be much smaller lateral forces arising from vibration and the movement of the machine component parts however these will be a very small fraction of what they would be if you were operating the handle manually.

Note that if the autodrive is installed and you operate the machine manually the stresses on the bench would be very similar to what they would be with no autodrive. 

• 1 month later...

ddc - Quick follow up - I followed your recommendation above and never opened the RL1100 factory box.  Sold the complete system to a gentleman for what I paid for it (the right thing to do for a fellow reloader) and used that money to purchase an Evolution....I ordered the Evo the last week of August direct from Mark7 with an estimated ship date of September 30th.  

When I inquired on Sept. 30th as to my shipping details I learned that my system “might” ship later this year due to Mark7 experiencing delays in receiving certain parts from specific suppliers....I get it - I just am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for their brother or sister to wake up so we can go see what Santa left.....

I still believe I made the right decision (for me) when I decided to sell the RL1100 and ordered the Evo.....Thanks again to you and the others here who provided the information you did....Who knows - Santa might (or might not) come early this year...Just will have to wait and see...Mark

5 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

ddc - Quick follow up - I followed your recommendation above and never opened the RL1100 factory box.  Sold the complete system to a gentleman for what I paid for it (the right thing to do for a fellow reloader) and used that money to purchase an Evolution....I ordered the Evo the last week of August direct from Mark7 with an estimated ship date of September 30th.  

When I inquired on Sept. 30th as to my shipping details I learned that my system “might” ship later this year due to Mark7 experiencing delays in receiving certain parts from specific suppliers....I get it - I just am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for their brother or sister to wake up so we can go see what Santa left.....

I still believe I made the right decision (for me) when I decided to sell the RL1100 and ordered the Evo.....Thanks again to you and the others here who provided the information you did....Who knows - Santa might (or might not) come early this year...Just will have to wait and see...Mark

lol... Covid 19 is making it tough.

My desire for immediate gratification when buying a new toy has definitely been challenged.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:29 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

You made the right choice for sure.

20201009_093109_resized.jpg

mayassa - Thanks Sir for responding...Several sleepless nights since seeing the RL1100 leave my possession but I know when I get my Evolution in hand my fears will subside...It is just the wait that is driving me crazy.....Stay Safe and thanks again for the picture of your set up...I am envious of your set up but I will post pictures when my 650 gets his EVO big brother set up beside him.......Mark

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, mayassa said:

You made the right choice for sure.

20201009_093109_resized.jpg

Mayassa - I see you mounted a Dillon case feeder on your EVO - May I ask why?  I read where the bullet feeder that comes with the EVO is not a comparable unit to the Dillon....

I ask because My EVO is due to be delivered in 5 days....I have tracking and it is in route so I wonder if I need to get a Dillon case-feeder and SP plate in route also....Thanks Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

50 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Mayassa - I see you mounted a Dillon case feeder on your EVO - May I ask why?  I read where the bullet feeder that comes with the EVO is not a comparable unit to the Dillon....

I ask because My EVO is due to be delivered in 5 days....I have tracking and it is in route so I wonder if I need to get a Dillon case-feeder and SP plate in route also....Thanks Mark

The case feeder that comes with the Evolution is a Hornady, and it works fine for me.  I had to adjust the flipper spring properly, but once I did that, I've had zero issues.

See my post and picture from April 15th for details.

4 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I have always had great luck with my case feeder from dillon on my 650 and 1050 and I had all the different plates so I just ordered a dillon.  I also use a dillon powder measure it's accurate for the VV I use for 38SC.  I picked up the stripped down version with my military discount at just over what my 1050 cost.  I also sold my 650 with a few heads and a die set to fund almost the purchase of the EVO I had to add $400.  It's a good time to sell right now, Dillon doesn't have Dies in stock so you reloader can sell pretty good if you toss a set of dies in.  And pretty much everyone out grows the Dillon dies once they get serious and pick up micro adjustable seating and crimping dies.   I'm thinking of selling my 1050 next with 300blk and 223 dies and an extra head.  That will straight up pay for another EVO easy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the Mark 7 saga continues on.  I ordered a Mark 7 Evolution Pro in late August after spending 3wks trying to figure out why their shipping quotes were almost $1000 to Canada.  I was given a ship date of October 10th.  On November 23rd, the Lyman Vice President sent out an email saying that everyone who ordered in September (remember mine was ordered in August) would be shipped in the first half of December.  Today, I finally got a response to an email saying that they were not getting the case feeders they need to ship mine until mid January.  My sales person also slipped and indicated that others are being built while mine sits.  I am disgusted by this level of customer service.  This company has had my money for 4mos already, and it looks like MAYBE I will see this thing in February some time.  In the mean time, my RL1100/Ammobot combination that this was supposed to replace has been running flawlessly.  I pointed out to the sales person (who honestly seems like a great guy) that Dillon doesn’t charge your card until they ship the product.  They need to consider this.