Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring rate for Glock 17

Hnemes

Awesome i have a 13 lb ismi spring and a heavy steel rod, haven't shot it yet though. If i was to lighten the slide would i go up or down in spring rate?
Don't lighten the slide. Shoot the gun and get good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hello: I actually don't like a lightened Glock 17 slide even on my Carry Optic setup. I milled one years ago and it was too light. If you do lighten the slide you will have to up the recoil spring if you are using 131-134pf loads or factory loads. The slide tends to slam forward with more force with the light slide and heavier recoil spring. Lastly if you intend to shoot Production a lightened slide is not legal unless they change that rule? Thanks, Eric

13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I actually don't like a lightened Glock 17 slide even on my Carry Optic setup. I milled one years ago and it was too light. If you do lighten the slide you will have to up the recoil spring if you are using 131-134pf loads or factory loads. The slide tends to slam forward with more force with the light slide and heavier recoil spring. Lastly if you intend to shoot Production a lightened slide is not legal unless they change that rule? Thanks, Eric

I'm moving to limited to get practice before i buy a 2011 style pistol, while I like production i do want to eventually shoot open so figured i need to move up to get used to the faster pace.

Hello: Limited minor is going to teach you alot on how to shoot a stage and plan that one reload without worrying about running out of ammo like some do in production. I think it will help you get to where you want to be before you move to open. Get some Arredondo base pads to give you 23 round magazines and some Dawson, Zev, TTI base pads to see what you like best. I still would not lighten your slide for Limited just get a magwell and reload some good ammo to practice with. Warning, Open is addictive and super fun to shoot. Once you shoot a dot you won't want to shoot anything else. Thanks, Eric

Stock. We’re talking about 9 mm recoil here, not .44 magnum. Hold onto your pistol and control it. 

You are all talking about dealing with this and that malfunction or walking on the edge of malfunction instead of just staying stock. 

Box stock Glocks are reliable as hell. The Glock guys with malfunctions in competition have all modified one thing or another.

Maybe add a little dead weight in the guide rod and/or grip if you must.

4 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Stock. We’re talking about 9 mm recoil here, not .44 magnum. Hold onto your pistol and control it. 

You are all talking about dealing with this and that malfunction or walking on the edge of malfunction instead of just staying stock. 

Box stock Glocks are reliable as hell. The Glock guys with malfunctions in competition have all modified one thing or another.

Maybe add a little dead weight in the guide rod and/or grip if you must.

And most are shooting ammo that is softer than factory

• 2 weeks later...