Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light 223 burner load for 3 gun..

Woody3025

I have been working with Shooters world Tac rifle trying to come up with a 55gr short range “hoser” load.  I started off just trying to mimic a factory load but have been reading other topics and have seem some guys using some pretty light loads.  Since most shooters have adjustable gas blocks and try and run it closed off as much as possible. If you run such a light burner load this could mean you have to open up the gas and therefore having a negative effect on the Higher pressure 69 and 77 gr long range loads most guys use.  Sorry this might be a combination of rifle tech and reloading not sure if this is the right category.  So i guess my question is any body tried this powder or equivalent and what kind of success have you had and is there a need to worry about the long range loads being over gassed. 

That is light , I’m shooting an 18” JP barrel ,  only been down to 2700 FPS so far however gun needed to be adjusted to cycle properly. Do you fell it messes with how the gun operates and feels when shooting full power heavy bullets.  

Did some testing yesterday ,  tried out some 55gr Hornaday FMJBT loaded with 22 grains of SW Tac rifle .  They chrono’d at an average of 2550 , actually only had to open my gas one click and had reliable bolt lock back.   Tried out some double taps as well, I was surprised at first , well actually not surprised might be the better way to say it because the recoil was way less than used to so had some trigger freeze.   I’m shooting a 50yd Zero and verified my zero with my factory and reloaded 69gr’s they are dead on but when i shot the 55 reloads they consistaly shot roughly a 1/2 to 3/4” inch to the left any thoughts on this. 

Something totally different but works really well for me: 19.6g of H4198 with 55gr Berrys FMJ. Soft shooting, no problem cycling the bolt and surprisingly accurate. It was around 2550 fps with a 16" barrel. 

I had a surplus of the powder and decided to try it after finding some loads for 223. Very happy with it  

x

• 3 weeks later...

Did some more testing today looking for more accuracy.  Tried Up .3 gr, down .3 gr, and down .6gr from my original load of 22.0 grs of TAC rifl from shooters world.  My group got bigger with the hotter load.  The .3 down loads tightened up the group and the .6 down tightened up even more.  I was very pleased with the accuracy and the decreased recoil looking forward to getting a batch ready for an upcoming match. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 10:46 PM, xdr said:

Something totally different but works really well for me: 19.6g of H4198 with 55gr Berrys FMJ. Soft shooting, no problem cycling the bolt and surprisingly accurate. It was around 2550 fps with a 16" barrel. 

I had a surplus of the powder and decided to try it after finding some loads for 223. Very happy with it  

x

I also use H4198 powder for my hoser load.  But I use 20.3gr and 50gr bullet.  Super soft and quiet.  The gun feels good and cycles.  its awesome!

I've made hoser ammo with Tac but this is way better.

Edited by bodybag0

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of 62gr Hornady FMJ and loaded them up for hoser stages. With 8208 21.3, D60 magazine length, seems to do my 16" JP well. 20.3 seemed to have a flyer each group. 22.3 was noticeably hotter but made a perfect stoplight at .412.
But, I am wondering about 40gr with 8208 for a hoser load..... start at 19gr I guess? Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Woody3025 said:

a 115 gr 9mm is more snappy than a 147.  I was thinking of trying something heavier and slower next time.  

A 115 is "snappier" than a 147 only At The Same PF.

If you are not concerned about PF, the 115 usually can be less snappy than the 147.

I was realizing that just after posting.  What I was really trying to question was maybe a heavier projectile would stabilize better at the slower velocity versus a lighter one.  Seems like the most fight is getting the lighter projectiles to be consistent and accurate. 

2 hours ago, Woody3025 said:

I was realizing that just after posting.  What I was really trying to question was maybe a heavier projectile would stabilize better at the slower velocity versus a lighter one.  Seems like the most fight is getting the lighter projectiles to be consistent and accurate. 

Depends on your barrel twist. That said I still get good results with SMK 52gr JHPBT and a 1:9

3 hours ago, Woody3025 said:

maybe a heavier projectile would stabilize better at the slower velocity versus a lighter one.  Seems like the most fight is getting the lighter projectiles to be consistent and accurate. 

Inaccuracy doesn't necessarily mean a lack of stability. 

I don't think its much of a fight, I've never had a 55gr load shoot over 2 MOA, which is perfectly acceptable for its purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I adjusted my gas block to run w. my 62g short range ammo.  That ammo has same powder charge as longer range ammo, 24.2 TAC, and I can go all the way down to 50g bullets and the rifle still runs w. same powder charge.  I don't know, but I think that the gas volumes is the same as I'm running the same powder charges but the heavy bullets are running higher pressure, and as such the system still runs.