Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Tanfo Stock 3 owner; need to get a Grip

Localizer

Picked up a PD tuned Tanfoglio stock 3 2 weeks ago...absolutely fell in love with the pistol.

One big issue; can’t reach the mag release without breaking my grip.

While I like the look of the wood grips, it isn’t going to work.

Which grip should I get to remedy this? 

Give LOK grips a look.  I put the palm swell bogies on my Stock II and it helped me considerably.  My hand is average size.  The grip is thin at top but swelled lower down.  I can get a full, firm grip on the gun but my thumb can reach the mag release without altering my grip.  I had the Grauffel grips on initially and although they are fine for reaching the mag release, I thought they were a little too thin lower down and the gun didn't feel as locked in as it could be.

Stock II LOK Palm Swell Bogies 2.jpg

Stock II LOK Palm Swell Bogies 3.jpg

All right. I think I’m sold on the LOK grips. Why the palm swell version instead of the thin version? 

Is the Palm swell version as thin as the thin grips higher up?

the thin LOK grips measure 1.182in...what about the palm swell version higher up? I already se the thickness is 1.515” at thickest part.

21 hours ago, Localizer said:

One big issue; can’t reach the mag release without breaking my grip.

Max Michel was giving a dry fire demonstration at an NRA national a couple years back. He said he prefers to break his grip (roll the gun in his strong hand if that is what you mean) rather than use an extended mag release because that way there is no chance he will bump the mag release by accident. His gun handling was not slow. 

10 hours ago, Localizer said:

All right. I think I’m sold on the LOK grips. Why the palm swell version instead of the thin version? 

Is the Palm swell version as thin as the thin grips higher up?

the thin LOK grips measure 1.182in...what about the palm swell version higher up? I already se the thickness is 1.515” at thickest part.

I just measured the grips which I posted pictures of above.  They are about 1.21" at the very top, about 1.25" in the area your thumb will be reaching across to hit the mag release, and about 1.51" across at the palm swell.  For me, the palm swell version gives me a fatter grip and I feel the gun is solidly locked in my hand, but at the same time it's not fat up top and doesn't interfere with manipulation of the mag release.

No one for the Xtreme grips?

My Stock 3 is getting the PD treatment right now too.  One of the things I opted for was the Xtreme trigger because I have no use for overtravel screws and the placement of the factory one irritates me.  However, it will have a longer reach so I was thinking about going to some slim grips to even things up again.

I guess "thin" grips really come down to Unica, Xtreme, (aluminum) or LOK.  I must say I have misgivings about Aluminum as a grip material as it gets plenty bright and hot where I live.

It seems there is some question abotu whether or not LOK grips are plug and play though.  Those "palm swells" sure look uncomfortable.

38 minutes ago, FALAR said:

However, it will have a longer reach so I was thinking about going to some slim grips to even things up again.

I guess "thin" grips really come down to Unica, Xtreme, (aluminum) or LOK.  I must say I have misgivings about Aluminum as a grip material as it gets plenty bright and hot where I live.

It seems there is some question abotu whether or not LOK grips are plug and play though.  Those "palm swells" sure look uncomfortable.

I don't think you will gain much reach with the thinner grips. There are some plastic "lava" grips you can get on ebay.  They are thin and inexpensive.

In my opinion, the LOK palm swell are the most comfortable and natural feeling. Boggie pattern gives nice traction too.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, BJB said:

Give LOK grips a look.  I put the palm swell bogies on my Stock II and it helped me considerably.  My hand is average size.  The grip is thin at top but swelled lower down.  I can get a full, firm grip on the gun but my thumb can reach the mag release without altering my grip.  I had the Grauffel grips on initially and although they are fine for reaching the mag release, I thought they were a little too thin lower down and the gun didn't feel as locked in as it could be.

Stock II LOK Palm Swell Bogies 2.jpg

Stock II LOK Palm Swell Bogies 3.jpg

I’m waiting for the small frame version of these to come out to do the same to my Xtreme.

9 hours ago, FALAR said:

Are you kidding?  Not uncomfortable, on the contrary, they are extremely comfortable & ergonomic.  The palm swell fills your palm, hence the name.  Also, mine were plug & play, no fitting required.  If they did require fitting I can only envision it being a little filing on the inner edge, which is no big deal.

44 minutes ago, goshimu said:

I’m waiting for the small frame version of these to come out to do the same to my Xtreme.

Those pictures I posted are of a Stock 2 Xtreme.

10 hours ago, FALAR said:

No one for the Xtreme grips?

My Stock 3 is getting the PD treatment right now too.  One of the things I opted for was the Xtreme trigger because I have no use for overtravel screws and the placement of the factory one irritates me.  However, it will have a longer reach so I was thinking about going to some slim grips to even things up again.

Aluminum grips have plenty of traction in hot weather.  I live in Texas.  However I also use Pro Grip.

The LOK bogies work a little bit better in my opinion and you don't have to use Pro Grip.

2 hours ago, BJB said:

Are you kidding?  Not uncomfortable, on the contrary, they are extremely comfortable & ergonomic.  The palm swell fills your palm, hence the name.  Also, mine were plug & play, no fitting required.  If they did require fitting I can only envision it being a little filing on the inner edge, which is no big deal.

Those pictures I posted are of a Stock 2 Xtreme.

Is it a small frame?

3 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Aluminum grips have plenty of traction in hot weather.  I live in Texas.  However I also use Pro Grip.

The LOK bogies work a little bit better in my opinion and you don't have to use Pro Grip.

Do they ever get too hot to touch?

An acquaintance of mine had black aluminum grips on some sort of CZ racegun and he got rid of them pretty fast in favor of some G10s because they were so hot to the touch in the summer.  I can see them becoming a heat sink with the frame and slide both being steel and if you wear the gun on your belt in the direct sunlight on a typical 108 degree day for a bit prior to shooting I bet the temperatures on those things get plenty warm.

25 minutes ago, FALAR said:

An acquaintance of mine had black aluminum grips on some sort of CZ racegun and he got rid of them pretty fast in favor of some G10s because they were so hot to the touch in the summer.  I can see them becoming a heat sink with the frame and slide both being steel and if you wear the gun on your belt in the direct sunlight on a typical 108 degree day for a bit prior to shooting I bet the temperatures on those things get plenty warm.

"typical 108 degree day"? Think I'd find a way to cover/shield the pistol from the sun when I'm not shooting.

2 hours ago, FALAR said:

When I had the non-colored aluminum ones on they never got too hot in the sun.  I shoot in Arkansas, Oklahoma, & Texas and summers get plenty hot with a fierce sun coming down (just ask any of the folks who shot Area 4 at OFGC back in September).  I can't speak to the effects of a colored aluminum grip.  But, the gun is holstered and not exposed to the full sun like it would be if lying out flat on a table.

you may have a hard time finding grips that are small enough that you wouldnt have to break your grip on reloads and still offer you enough support hand purchase on the gun.

i went through the same thing and in the end just started to flip the gun in my hand during reloads. i use LOK palm swell bogies and love them. i had SSI scales 2.0 and thin bogies prior. i have M/L hands

• 3 months later...