Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max Michel using a new optic?

Rudukai13

Screenshot from this video;

You can clearly see he's no longer using a Romeo3 like he had been. Possibly this is just a Romeo1 with the protective shroud, but I know they had talked about him working with the electro-optics team to come up with a new "Romeo Max" with some different features. Possibly the Romeo2 that's been mentioned on Sig's website/2019 catalog recently?

Discuss;

IMG_3504.PNG

12 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

I bet if you pay attention to shot show this week your question will be answered. 😉

Possibly, but it wouldn't be the first time Sig has let media slip on prototypes without saying a word about it officially...

Talked to Phil Strader on Instagram. He's not saying much in the way of the new Romeo2 optic.  There will be a new Romeo1 optic coming called the Romeo1PRO soon that has a more robust machined housing and a compatible footprint.  Not sure what that means.  Also I think I saw somewhere that Max's new optic will be released somewhere around the NRA Convention.

18 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Possibly, but it wouldn't be the first time Sig has let media slip on prototypes without saying a word about it officially...

I hear Sig is releasing something like the "Romeo Max" (or romeo pro as another suggested) which I suppose is like a signature dot/new model of course.

Seems to be Delta Point Pro competitor given the shape which I won't mind considering the Springer Precision DPP X5 mount refuses to work on my X5 and I love the DPP. I have an R1 on it now and it's nice but who doesn't like bigger windows?

I've been tracking this one for a while. 

As most of you know, Max has mostly been running Romeo3s because he preferred the shape and size of the window when compared to the R1. He's been working with SIG for some time on a specific optic that would be optimized for his requirements. I didn't see any announcements at Shot Show so now we wait... 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/max-michel-opens-2019-with-a-big-win-for-team-sig-using-romeo3max-open-reflex-sight/#axzz5exl1RUyr

SIG SAUER, Inc. congratulates Team SIG Captain, Max Michel for kicking-off 2019 with a big win in his first match of the competitive shooting season for Team SIG. Michel competed in the 2019 Miami Open held January 11th through January 13th at the Homestead Training Center in Homestead, Florida and claimed first place in the Carry Optics Division.

“This is a great start to the 2019 competition season for Team SIG. Max’s intensity and continued focus on the Carry Optics division is bringing home wins for Team SIG and driving product development,” began Tom Taylor, Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President, Commercial Sales, SIG SAUER, Inc. “Max has been working for years with the design and engineering team at SIG SAUER Electro-Optics to develop a high-performance, competition open reflex carry sight that we’ve named the ROMEO3MAX. This was the first time he competed with the ROMEO3MAX and we couldn’t be more pleased with the results.”

To claim his first place finish at the 2019 Miami Open, Max competed through 12 courses of fire, winning 11 using his P320X5, the newly developed ROMEO3MAX open reflex sight, and SIG SAUER Match Elite Pistol Competition Ammunition.

“The Miami Open was my first time running the ROMEO3MAX and it ran perfectly from start to finish. The sun was brutal in Miami for this competition, and while others had issues with their optics, the ROMEO3MAX performed flawlessly,” added Michel.

The ROMEO3MAX is a compact, open reflex sight featuring a 30mm Max round lens design for superior field-of-view, a special red-notch filter for vivid red dot and unrivaled optical clarity, 6 MOA dot size for rapid target engagement, twelve illumination intensity levels, MOTAC activation, and up to 20,000 hours of runtime. The sight is machined from aircraft grade aluminum in a matte black finish, with a side-loading battery tray, and waterproof (IPX-7 rated).

“We’ve been working with Max for over two years to optimize the design of the ROMEO3MAX reflex sight for competition pistol shooters and USPSA Open Gun Division mount configurations, and we could not be more proud of the result, and his positive feedback the first time running the optic in competition,” said Andy York, President, SIG SAUER Electro-Optics. “The ROMEO3MAX will be shipping July 2019, and congratulations to Max on what I’m sure is the first of many wins for 2019.”

The SIG SAUER Match Elite Pistol Competition Ammunition used by Max Michel in the 2019 Miami Open is available for purchase at sigsauer.com/store.

Edited by alma

On 2/9/2019 at 8:35 PM, Rich406 said:

Looks way bigger and longer than a DPP from the pics

I heard it'll be DPP footprint but my question is what about us with Romeo 1s on our X5s? or is DPP the same and just requires different bolts? like https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/260352-romeo-1-mount-footprint/ mentions

Are we going to need an adapter plate which now means the sight sits higher on the slide if that's not the case?

22 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

I heard it'll be DPP footprint but my question is what about us with Romeo 1s on our X5s? or is DPP the same and just requires different bolts? like https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/260352-romeo-1-mount-footprint/ mentions

Are we going to need an adapter plate which now means the sight sits higher on the slide if that's not the case?

Romeo 3 mounting with a slightly shorter OAL. 

12 hours ago, dcrafton said:

I did not know you could compete with optics that are not in production and available to everyone.

Why not?  Probably no better test bed then to put it in the hands of one of the best shooters in the world to work out any kinks out before production.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 8:13 AM, cjmill87 said:

Why not?  Probably no better test bed then to put it in the hands of one of the best shooters in the world to work out any kinks out before production.

Because it’s SIG! They haven’t tested anything in five years.

They just start shipping P320s and P365s to people who pay full retail, let us be the beta testers, then require us to send back things which didn’t run out-of-the box in order to get fixes / recalls completed.

SIGARMS. “To hell with reliability”