Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open gun for under $4k?

UpYoursPal

Hey!  I've been shooting Open for about six months now and have decided that it's definitely the class I want to go with.  I'm a very average "B" shooter who has been using an ancient 2011 (you can see it here) and it's been pretty good so far, but it has serious limitations.  Fitting is pretty loose, the optic is very old and shuts off at inopportune times, and while the barrel is pretty good the comp is definitely not of a modern design.  I love it to death but I definitely need a new blaster.

To that end, I'm headed on deployment soon which will put a nice chunk of tax free money in my pocket.  After paying off debts and everything, I want to get a real open gun to make all the local club members jealous.  As much as I'd like one of those hot Atlas Chaoses, I can really only justify a budget of $4k or so, including mags.  Plus, I'm probably not at the level where a hot rod Atlas would really help.  What's the best bang for my buck?  Ideally I'd like it to be in 9mm major but I'm amenable to 38 super.  

If I shouldn't buy new, then what brands/models should I watch for in the classifieds?

Thanks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

Hey!  I've been shooting Open for about six months now and have decided that it's definitely the class I want to go with.  I'm a very average "B" shooter who has been using an ancient 2011 (you can see it here) and it's been pretty good so far, but it has serious limitations.  Fitting is pretty loose, the optic is very old and shuts off at inopportune times, and while the barrel is pretty good the comp is definitely not of a modern design.  I love it to death but I definitely need a new blaster.

To that end, I'm headed on deployment soon which will put a nice chunk of tax free money in my pocket.  After paying off debts and everything, I want to get a real open gun to make all the local club members jealous.  As much as I'd like one of those hot Atlas Chaoses, I can really only justify a budget of $4k or so, including mags.  Plus, I'm probably not at the level where a hot rod Atlas would really help.  What's the best bang for my buck?  Ideally I'd like it to be in 9mm major but I'm amenable to 38 super.  

If I shouldn't buy new, then what brands/models should I watch for in the classifieds?

Thanks!

CHEELY GUNWORKS. Gun speaks for it self. Matt is very straight guy and will tell you anything you need to know. He test fired the gun for few hundred rounds before sending it to customer to make sure it works flawlessly!!! I vouched for it.. you are welcome sir!!!

Should have scooped that dawson signature open gun that was in the classifieds here for a few weeks. That was a steal came with mags and a holster. Throw a steel grip on it and a mini dot of choice and its modernized up right along with current age tech.

54 minutes ago, echotango said:

Why don't you just rebarrel and change some things on the gun you have?  Lighten slide, new sight mount/sight, new comp, Evo grip, etc.  You can send it to Gans and he can make it like a new gun in 2 weeks. 

Gans Guns

In hindsight this is the best plan. Modernize it a little and have a gunsmith look it over and see if it needs anything major done to it. Then just shoot it until you know what you want in a build and can afford to do it. THEN have Matt Cheely build you one. :)

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

In hindsight this is the best plan. Modernize it a little and have a gunsmith look it over and see if it needs anything major done to it. Then just shoot it until you know what you want in a build and can afford to do it. THEN have Matt Cheely build you one. :)

Hahahaa there you go!!! Or buy my trubor for $2400 lol 3 140mm and 1 170mm with guga  holster lol so i can buy cheely

59 minutes ago, echotango said:

Why don't you just rebarrel and change some things on the gun you have?  Lighten slide, new sight mount/sight, new comp, Evo grip, etc.  You can send it to Gans and he can make it like a new gun in 2 weeks. 

Gans Guns

Ugh.  This is the responsible and correct answer, though not the fun answer.  I might just do this.

I think the suggestion to just update yours is a good idea. For probably 1500 bucks you could really deck it out. I’m doing something similar. I have a sti trubor build on a pt frame, so not really a trubor. But I’m sending it out to Don at venom to fit the new 9mm trubor barrel , put some cuts in the slide and lighten it up a bit. Then refinish it and the  barrel,  then tune it for max reliability. 

As long as your frame and slide are good you could put a new hybrid barrel and comp, PT grip, new Trigger group and extractor, and have it tuned and then refinished. 

Or theres tons tons of good deals used on here. But I bet you could do all I listed for under 2k.

5 hours ago, mitchiepinoy said:

Not sure of Gary still accepting partian works though 

He is, I talked to him about doing mine. Pretty reasonable prices and fast turn around from his estimates. But I went with Don at venom in the end. 

I’m surprised no one mentioned getting a gun built by gans guns

with him you send him a box of parts, and rather quickly you get a gun back, his work has always impressed me and they just flat out run

http://gansguns.com/tobuild.html

a costs cutting option is getting a brazos custom lightened slide instead of sending him a bare slide to cut up

16 minutes ago, rishii said:

I’m surprised no one mentioned getting a gun built by gans guns

with him you send him a box of parts, and rather quickly you get a gun back, his work has always impressed me and they just flat out run

http://gansguns.com/tobuild.html

a costs cutting option is getting a brazos custom lightened slide instead of sending him a bare slide to cut up

The second post mentioned Gans