Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open gun for under $4k?

UpYoursPal

You might want to check out my Gunsmith's Facebook page, "OTTOCOMP'.  His name is Otto Matyska and can be reached at 314-638-3327. Discuss with him your vision and budget. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by martyg00

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless it's absolutely important to you to get a new gun, used is the way to get a solid shooter in your price range.  A few months ago, I decided to start competing again, after over a decade away, but wasn't inclined to spend the money for a new Open gun.  So, just before the holidays, I began to keep my eye on the classifieds (still surprised my my account was still active!).  Picked up a used Brazos Pro Sx (which is what I shot a decade ago), personalized it (previous owner had much larger hands than me), and bought some mags from Brazos. 

All in, my (re) entry price into Open was <$3k.

If you want a new gun, check out Tommygunsusa.com. He is in Charlotte NC area. You buy all the parts and send to him. Jeff will send you a list of parts and you order from folks at speed shooters or shooters connection, etc. One thing I can attest to is his guns run. Also, the BE forums here have are a great place to pick up a deal.

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's a Glock ?     :surprise:

Actually, the first Glock I've ever seen that looks like it might be manageable with 9mm Major.     :cheers:

It will take 9mm major all day long and is the only 9mm major glock I've seen do it. And its runs about $2600 and that leaves alot for mags, gear, and bullets which we never have enough bullets lol. Its built on a gen 3 glock 17 frame and has a 34 barrel allowing room for the double popel hols and has a three port comp in front of that. Also the back strap is filled with tungsten to ad weight to the frame. The magwell is of his own design and is also heavy, and is fitted perfectly to the frame of the gun with no seams. Barrels are all KKM. The frame weight is the biggest on the market. This gun will run very flat with the right loads as for all open guns. Also the triggers are built by David and are very nice, sitting around the 2 pound mark.( my guns run a Johnny glock trigger that are equally as good ). For holsters there is no better then lytton custom holsters. His holsters make al other kydex holsters look like dime store knockoffs. Boath are great guys to work with. david is a veteran and justin from lytton is a policeman.

DCPrecision LLC 

lytton custom holsters 

check them out. 

If you are intrested in them make sure you tell them Jimmy Erickson sent you. 

Best of luck on your search for a open gun, no matter what way you go it's going to be a blast!!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:21 PM, Jamese35 said:

David at DCPrecision LLC is building my limited gun but he builds a open gun as well. If your intrested in a glock build. Gun is 44 ounces and runs 9 major nice and flat.

FB_IMG_1548213563171.jpg

What kind of holster is used for this ?

31 minutes ago, Balakay said:

What kind of holster is used for this ?

I use a custom kydex holster as most would know it's not going to work in a double alpha, cr speed, or of any of the sort. Justin Lipton owns lytton custom holsters and he makes them special for this set up. I'll see if I can get pics up later. 

Every open gun I’ve owned has been used. If you look for one that is a good deal and matches what you want I’d go for it. Choosing one that has a lifetime warranty is good as well. Limcat is one you can’t go wrong with EVER. Others have a warranty like theirs and make sure you get one from a longstanding builder if customer service and warranty is a part of your plan. 

13 hours ago, Posvar said:

Every open gun I’ve owned has been used. If you look for one that is a good deal and matches what you want I’d go for it. Choosing one that has a lifetime warranty is good as well. Limcat is one you can’t go wrong with EVER. Others have a warranty like theirs and make sure you get one from a longstanding builder if customer service and warranty is a part of your plan. 

limcat warrranty? my understanding is that they consider the slide as a consumable.  Of all the issues with opens guns, cracked slides seem to be the most common. i myself  had one cracked as many others i know have.   

The only companies i know for sure warranty their guns lifetime are   CK/ freedom/STI 

I've been thinking about all of the Czechmate suggestions, and after reading more about it, it looks like a really solid suggestion that I'm going to consider.  I've seen that while there isn't a robust market for Czechmate mods like there are for 2011s, it's probably enough to satisfy me.  This thread has been especially instructive: 

Question: I'm now pretty used to the feel of the 1911/2011 platform, and I've never shot a CZ-anything before. Nobody I know has a Czechmate, but I know someone who has a few CZs, including a -75 and Shadow 2.  In the absence of an actual Czechmate to try out, is there a comparable CZ gun that mimicks the feel of the grips, control, trigger, etc?  That is, is there another CZ that may have the same feel in the hands as a Czechmate?