Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't be prideful about glasses

rowdyb

Make sure you practice awkward stances and ports along with transitions.  You hit the nail on the head, you will have to learn to move your head and eyes differently than you did before.

Thanks for sharing this. I have a lot of eye problems, some congenital and some acquired. At academic eye centers, the eye doctors would always call in the med students. "Hey, you may never see this again." I should have charged them for my time!

I ended up with, like, four or five sets of glasses depending on what I'm doing. For shooting, I have a set for irons and another for RDS, each set up with a single prescription. Irons are really tough w progressives because of the need to change focal planes by tilting the head. Having a dedicated set for irons didn't really help much since something is always fuzzy, either the target or the front sight. A bit of a lost cause, at least for me. No problem with RDS prescription set up for more distant shooting because the focal plane is the same for target and dot. Tough tying my shoes but shooting is OK.IIRC, others have also tried dedicated single prescriptions.

Anyway, thanks and let us know how things go.

Thanks for sharing your journey. I'm in the same boat but have been there for quite a while - I started wearing glasses in first grade. My vision in my right eye is 20/ 450 (yes, that's technically blind). My astigmatism is so bad that my cylinder correction is beyond what the normal shooting glasses vendors can deal with. I went to my optometrist and he fixed me up with basically industrial safety glasses with a slight yellow tint. Not pretty but they work. BTW, my shooting pair are rather narrow compared to yours. This is handy when need to tilt my head back to see the sights as the amount of movement is minimized. I've worn progressives for 15 years now, so pretty adept at finding focus. The trick I learned early on is to point your nose at what you want in focus.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I tried progressive lenses but I never got used to them. They also made my migraines worse.

My problem was close or near vision. Anything 4 feet or less is blurry but I can see distant objects clearly. Shooting my Shadow 2 in production was a problem because I can not front sight clearly but can see the target clearly. If I have to use my readers, the front sight

is clear but I can’t see the target  at all.

What I ended up using based on my optometrist’s suggestion was having the right lens magnified at 1.0 while the left lens has no magnification at all. Wearing these glasses  didn’t affect my migraines either.

Before I started  shootingPCC, I had Oakley make me a set of prescription sunglasses in with both lenses magnified at .5 so I can see the red  dot  clearly.                       

I use the two single vision lenses, right eye set for front sight and left with normal prescription for distance.  I think that may be a better approach than using the progressive lenses as you get the same vision whatever position you hold your head.  However, whatever works for you is the proper way to go.  If you are having problems, then it's time to try another approach.

yep, i did try the two different single focal lenses. front sight for right eye and distance for left eye. that did not work for me at all. $300 wasted.

then i tried just a middling prescription, hoping something between my near correction and my far correction would be goldilocks just right. nope, it was more like one size fits none. $100 wasted.

doing things on the timer today i was fine. i can see and discern things with no issue out to 15 yards with what feels like no accomodation at all. i'm still working on the 15-35 yard distances and where to have my face for the best option there. but i know i'll be able to learn it.

and i really really enjoy having just one set of glasses. that my regular life ones can just go with me to the range and be my match ones as well.

Edited by rowdyb

Sorry the two single lens approach did not work for you.  Unfortunately, as I was told by several eye Doctors, there isn't any way to tell if one approach or other will work for you without trying them.  I think I was lucky in that the two single lens approach worked for me on the first try.  With my prescriptions I can wear them all the time without problems, although the only time I did that was when my regular glasses were broken .

I do ok with monovision shooting glasses.

My street progressives are not as effective and I don't shoot with them except for occasional defense weapon practice. 

There is a new generation of Varilux X progressives with wider usable range, but they set it for "arms length" and I don't know how well that would work at gunsight distance.  Bound to be expensive.

I shoot with progressive lenses with no problems.  Your brain will get trained where to look.  Older guys gravitate to open for a reason I guess, those pesky front sights get blurry.  I make sure not to wear too dark of a lens so I can see the sights good.  I mostly go a progressive red on my Rudy Projects with bifocal inserts behind.  

My former Ophthalmologist, who used to shoot 3 gun, told me I should get the best visual acuity from glasses, but I have very good visual acuity with contacts too.  I just cant see up close well.

I also had Lasik about 12 years ago but my vision regressed to what it was before.  I did have sharp 20/15 vision for a few years but lost my near accommodation.  Depending on the shape of your corneas and all the other considerations, it may be worth talking with your doctor about.  I wish I would have went to a place with a lifetime guarantee.  

I did not watch the whole video, so sorry if some of this has been addressed.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, Steve RA said:

I use the two single vision lenses, right eye set for front sight and left with normal prescription for distance.  I think that may be a better approach than using the progressive lenses as you get the same vision whatever position you hold your head.  However, whatever works for you is the proper way to go.  If you are having problems, then it's time to try another approach.

That's the setup for shooting glasses I have, and I love it. My ophthalmologist is a shooter, so he 'gets it'. He rigged up a sci-go looking set of test glasses without telling me what he was doing, then had me go outside and walk around. It felt a bit weird at first, but after a few minutes I found it to be just what I was hoping for; perfect front-sight clarity as well as distance.

When I went back in and told him Winner! he replied "you were either going to love them, or barf on the sidewalk." Apparently only half of the population can tolerate having two wildly different single-vision lenses, and there are no predictors whether they'll work for you or not, you just have to try them. The brain will either adapt, or it won't.

The Doc strongly recommended getting Oakley-brand lenses as they are of much better quality than most, and I did. The visual clarity is downright stunning. They're two years old now and I'm still amazed every time I put them on. My daily-wear progressive tri-focal lenses that cost twice as much aren't near as 'pure'.

6 hours ago, BentAero said:

That's the setup for shooting glasses I have, and I love it. My ophthalmologist is a shooter, so he 'gets it'. He rigged up a sci-go looking set of test glasses without telling me what he was doing, then had me go outside and walk around. It felt a bit weird at first, but after a few minutes I found it to be just what I was hoping for; perfect front-sight clarity as well as distance.

When I went back in and told him Winner! he replied "you were either going to love them, or barf on the sidewalk." Apparently only half of the population can tolerate having two wildly different single-vision lenses, and there are no predictors whether they'll work for you or not, you just have to try them. The brain will either adapt, or it won't.

The Doc strongly recommended getting Oakley-brand lenses as they are of much better quality than most, and I did. The visual clarity is downright stunning. They're two years old now and I'm still amazed every time I put them on. My daily-wear progressive tri-focal lenses that cost twice as much aren't near as 'pure'.

I agree. That’s how I ended up with mine. Magnified on right lens but not on the left lens. My friends get dizzy every time they try it on and ask how the hell I can tolerate it. I told them i don’t have any problems with it.

Same route I went with my Oakley shooting sunglasses . Just sent them my prescription and they made them for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I been experimenting the last year. I have worn progressive for years started shooting pistols and then is when I started trying different lenses. Tried bifocals all kinds of setups that was a mess. Been using my regular prescription in safety glasses and I am okay. I talked to Decot this week and they recommend a script to see my front sight and that’s all. Haven’t decided on that may send them my script and see what they recommend. Debated on Rudy Project and Oakley as well hate to keep putting cash out....

Damn getting old