Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use FREE HS-6?

3Dflyer

Hello,

I am gearing up to join action shooting sports.  I have 6 pounds of FREE HS-6 powder and a borrowed Dillon 550b loading machine.  I have ordered some blue bullets: 147gr, 135gr truncated, 125 gr round nosed, 125gr truncated.

I will be shooting with a stock cz shadow 2 in 3gun and maybe uspsa as a total rookie.

Locally, some guys are saying I should use and enjoy the HS-6 powder, others are saying that this is a terrible idea and I should dump it and buy titegroup.

I must admit that when I read through the forums to absorb as much valuable information as possible I really struggle with the abbreviated, slang, and acronym filled conversations.  So far I have become familiar with the loading machine and successfully shot about 400 rounds that I have worked up.  I can tell a difference in the powder burn speed, as the titegroup feels snappy and the HS-6 much less snappy.  The HS-6 did cause some slow slide travel when using powder charges at the low end of recommended data.

I don't have a chronograph at this point, but come spring time I might look into one.  I see everyone talking about power factor, but I don't understand how this plays into the rules for shooting sports.

If I can find a good load combination using blue bullets and HS-6 powder, I would be very inclined to perfect the Dillon550b setup to crank out several thousand rounds for the upcoming season.

16 minutes ago, 3Dflyer said:

I will be shooting  as a total rookie.

Locally, some guys are saying I should use and enjoy the HS-6 powder, others are saying that this is a terrible idea and I should dump it and buy titegroup.

I have  shot 400 rounds .  the titegroup feels snappy and the HS-6 much less snappy. 

I don't have a chronograph, but I don't understand how this plays into the rules for shooting sports.

There is nothing wrong with HS6 for 9mm Minor - Not The Best, but not bad, and

FREE trumps "not bad" in every case.

Especially if you're just getting started and have a LOT of practice coming up.

You should get 8,000+ rounds for NO COST for the powder - GREAT ….

Get your chrono sooner, and make sure your loads equal a Power Factor of 130+

which is 130 grain bullet at 1,000 FPS, or an equivalent.   147's at 900 fps, 135's

at 950 fps and 125's at  1,100 fps, or so.

Just enjoy the Free HS6.

In the meantime, you should try some other powders like WW231 or N320

and see which bullet/powder combo you and your gun prefer    :)

4 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

I see everyone talking about power factor, but I don't understand how this plays into the rules for shooting sports.

Power factor is a calculation (power factor = bullet weight (grains) x muzzle velocity (feet per second) ÷ 1000). It is used in shooting sports as part of a scoring system (for lack of a more detailed explanation). As an example, look how major and minor power factors affect IPSC scoring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Practical_Shooting_Confederation#Targets and USPSA scoring: http://mpsa.us/scoring.html

Edited by 4n2t0

I would appreciate some guidance on buying a chronograph.  I have performed some searches and it appears the cheap Caldwell is hit or miss.  The acoustic units seem very pricey for a beginner.  Are there more affordable acoustic chronographs that work well and are simple to set up?  I won't be shooting at an indoor range for testing.

3 minutes ago, 3Dflyer said:

I would appreciate some guidance on buying a chronograph.  I have performed some searches and it appears the cheap Caldwell is hit or miss.  The acoustic units seem very pricey for a beginner.  Are there more affordable acoustic chronographs that work well and are simple to set up?  I won't be shooting at an indoor range for testing.

Pro chrono digital. Around a hundred bucks and has been perfect for 10 years. 

I just bought a lab radar. It’s a big investment, but it’s a game changer.

That being said, I also have the Caldwell and the Pro Chrono. The Caldwell had many issues when they were first released, but they have since been updated and the issues addressed. In fact I’m on my third one, all replaced free of charge by Caldwell. Their customer service is amazing. Every time I had an issue with the initial ones, called them, told them, and they made it right. They admitted that some units had faulty this or that and sent me a new one free of charge. Didn’t even make me return the old one.

The advantage to the Caldwell is the iPhone and Android app. It is a very good app, better even than the LabRadar app. The CE Pro Chrono now has a Bluetooth adapter and an app as well, but at an extra cost. I haven’t used it, but it’s got pretty good reviews. I’d consider getting it if you go that route. Having the app to record all your data is YUGE time saver.

I’d sell you my Caldwell set up (I have the whole kit) if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Along with the Pro Chrono mentioned above I also have an Oehler 35P.  It prints out the results so you can retain them and is and has been an excellent Chronograph.  It's more complicated to use than the Pro Chrono, but if you are serious about using one a lot I would recommend taking a look at one.

https://oehler-research.com/model-35p/

I have a Pro Chrono Digital.  It is inexpensive and has a large "window."   

My wired remote control just went out for the second time, I don't know if I will bother getting it worked on again, just walk to the unit for readout. 

HS6 is not the best for standard velocity, but Free is good.  I had a can of match goodie bag W572 that was worth working up a load for, but I won't buy more. 

Edited by Jim Watson

I never understood the love affair with Titegroup.  I think it sucks.  It burns hot, melts FO front sights, smokes badly and the recoil is harsh.  Use your HS-6, just up the load a little.  Other powders that will work superbly well for 9mm minor are Alliant e3, Sport Pistol and American Select, plus Accurate Solo 1000.  These are all better and cleaner than TG.

Sport Pistol powder is specifically designed to burn cool behind coated bullets.

Another vote for the Pro Chrono Digital.  I bought the Bluetooth adapter.  It send the data back to the app on your phone.

HS-6 has some rough critics but I always had great luck with it in 9mm, both in minor, and it was my 9 major powder as well. Its my current 9mm minor load for my 3 gun pistol. Never found it to be dirty and always felt soft and was accurate. Use that HS-6 and youll like it! For a chrono I have a CED M2. Its been a great reliable unit. 

23 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I left New York 4 years ago to get away from ice.   Enjoy it,

until you can move on down to Mickey's country.    :) 

I was in Florida for the IRC in the first week of Nov. 2017. I left your neighborhood at 85 degrees, drove home, 36 hours later I arrived to 28 degrees to start my woodstove. Ive been thinking about more southernly pastures ever since. What area did you live in up here in the communist Regime of NY?