Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use FREE HS-6?

3Dflyer

3 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

What area did you live in up here in the communist Regime of NY? 

I was an hour south of you - just south of New Paltz.

Loved it - had 35 acres and could shoot on my own property    :)

But, at 74 years old, not sure I could take another one of those winters    :( 

4 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

BallisticianX,

would you mind sharing your hs-6 load data with me?

My current 3 gun load in an M&P9 4.25” KKM barrel is:

124 gr. JHP (Precision Delta)

6.1gr HS-6

CCI #500 (SP standard)

Mixed brass

COL: 1.110

1045fps (129.5 power factor)

10 hours ago, zzt said:

I never understood the love affair with Titegroup.  I think it sucks.  It burns hot, melts FO front sights, smokes badly and the recoil is harsh. 

I've used many pounds of Titegroup in 9 mm minor and .38 Special loads and it has never melted or even discolored any of my fiber optic front sights on both semiautos and revolvers and the smoke with jacketed or coated bullets is minor.  I agree that Sport Pistol seems to have a somewhat milder recoil and is probably easier on polymer coated bullets but Titegroup is a useful powder.

14 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I've used many pounds of Titegroup in 9 mm minor and .38 Special loads and it has never melted or even discolored any of my fiber optic front sights on both semiautos and revolvers and the smoke with jacketed or coated bullets is minor.  I agree that Sport Pistol seems to have a somewhat milder recoil and is probably easier on polymer coated bullets but Titegroup is a useful powder.

Meh.... TG melted my FO rod regularly

8 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

HS-6 has some rough critics but I always had great luck with it in 9mm, both in minor, and it was my 9 major powder as well. Its my current 9mm minor load for my 3 gun pistol. Never found it to be dirty and always felt soft and was accurate. Use that HS-6 and youll like it! For a chrono I have a CED M2. Its been a great reliable unit. 

+1. I use it for 9 Major and now I am using it for minor. I tried N320 but I could not get it to meter properly in my 1050. Use it and have fun with it.

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I was an hour south of you - just south of New Paltz.

Loved it - had 35 acres and could shoot on my own property    :)

But, at 74 years old, not sure I could take another one of those winters    :( 

If you were on the 32 corridor Im guess you were in Plattekill or  Milton/Marlboro on the 9W corridor. Did you ever shoot at DCPA between 2010 and when you left? If you did we have probably met before.  

3 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

Im guess you were in Plattekill or  Milton/Marlboro on the 9W corridor. Did you ever shoot at DCPA between 2010 and when you left? If you did we have probably met before.  

I was in Pine Bush (halfway between Kingston and Middletown north to south,

and Ellenville and Newburgh west to east.

I shot DCPA from 1988 - 2008 or so - they stopped having USPSA matches a year or two.

I was the guy shooting a Browning Hi-Power, which used to drive the RO's crazy because

of the mag safety (I had to insert a mag to pull the trigger after showing empty).

I shot Albany a few times, as well as NJ, four different locations in PA, and two matches

in Long Island, plus Rochester, MASS, and CT.

Are you still shooting DCPA ?

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I was in Pine Bush (halfway between Kingston and Middletown north to south,

and Ellenville and Newburgh west to east.

I shot DCPA from 1988 - 2008 or so - they stopped having USPSA matches a year or two.

I was the guy shooting a Browning Hi-Power, which used to drive the RO's crazy because

of the mag safety (I had to insert a mag to pull the trigger after showing empty).

I shot Albany a few times, as well as NJ, four different locations in PA, and two matches

in Long Island, plus Rochester, MASS, and CT.

Are you still shooting DCPA ?

Im familiar with Pine Bush. I would get my high end rimfire ammo from Monell's on Red Mills Rd. 

I had stopped going to DCPA for awhile when they built that roof contraption over range #2. Between the blast of every shot reverberating under that thing and the darkness I hated it. The day I had an earplug come off in 2015 while shooting an open Tanfo with 8 or 10 popples and went crossed eyed I stopped going. I did brave it again this year and shot their matches up until August when the gentleman who ran the USPSA matches past away suddenly. Im not sure if they resumed and found someone to take it over. 

Ive shot just about every Albany match from 2009 to date. 

Back on topic,

i have ordered a CE pro chronograph DLX with built in bluetooth. I will report back on my loads with both titegroup and hs-6. 

It sounds like the hs-6 tends to meter well, if I am understanding everyone. This would be a benefit for a beginner. 

2 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

Back on topic,

i have ordered a CE pro chronograph DLX with built in bluetooth. I will report back on my loads with both titegroup and hs-6. 

It sounds like the hs-6 tends to meter well, if I am understanding everyone. This would be a benefit for a beginner. 

I always found HS-6 to meter well. Titegroup does as well. Most all ball or fine granular pistol powders meter well. The crossover shotgun/pistol flake powders are usually the problem, clays, E3, red dot etc. 

6 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

Back on topic,

As previously mentioned both are flattened ball so they'll flow nicely.

HS-6

Titegroup

Edited by 4n2t0