Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Custom 40 Hybrid For Sale Value - Please help

NCShadow2

A local guy has this gun for sale, and trying to pay a fair price.  It comes with 8 tuned MBX mags.  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  He is wanting $6k.  Here is link:  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwia4NarmPPfAhVuzlkKHTIFD7AQFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunbroker.com%2Fitem%2F792429388&usg=AOvVaw2nvOHJGkc_Y1K7s0RtDImx

Just my opinion...

About $1K worth of mags if new.

At least $500-600 worth of pouches, belt and holster.

So, you're getting some significant value in "extras".

So, that would have you giving roughly $4400 for the pistol if you assume $1500 for the other stuff...

Shay's guns command a hefty price tag; you have to determine what it's worth to you.

I did a quick build on the Akai site for a gun with the options I can see in the pics (not sure if it's stroked) and it came up to $5225.  Plus $1500 in mags and belt/holster.  Seem like his price is pretty good for an almost new gun too.  Per the Akai site, "approximate wait times on fully custom guns is around a year" so it'd take that into consideration too!

Doesn't seem like a very good deal for a used item.  Around $5k would be more reasonable, but even that's a lot more than I'd be willing to pay.  Also not impressed with that design.  Why is the rear sight up so high like that?  Looks like it's practically sitting on top of the slide.  And a plastic trigger?

Edited by ltdmstr

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Doesn't seem like a very good deal for a used item.  Around $5k would be more reasonable, but even that's a lot more than I'd be willing to pay.  Also not impressed with that design.  Why is the rear sight up so high like that?  Looks like it's practically sitting on top of the slide.  And a plastic trigger?

Its an adjustable sight.  The plastic gunsmith fit blank triggers are far longer lasting than anything else out there.  

22 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Its an adjustable sight.  The plastic gunsmith fit blank triggers are far longer lasting than anything else out there.  

I wasn't questioning what kind of sight it is, but how it's mounted.  Seems like it's way high on the slide for some reason.  And the blade is completely jacked up in the back too.  As for the trigger, there are aluminum inserts that are as long as that one.  For $5k plus, I'd expect better parts selection.

2 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I wasn't questioning what kind of sight it is, but how it's mounted.  Seems like it's way high on the slide for some reason.  And the blade is completely jacked up in the back too.  As for the trigger, there are aluminum inserts that are as long as that one.  For $5k plus, I'd expect better parts selection.

The problem is the aluminum triggers are for the most part, junk.  I have broken over 10  SV triggers.  I have yet to break an STI trigger.  The STI is the "better parts selection"  
I think that s just likely a optical illusion on the sight.  That and he has it jacked way up for some reason.  It is melted in in a standard bomar cut.  

10 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

The problem is the aluminum triggers are for the most part, junk.  I have broken over 10  SV triggers.  I have yet to break an STI trigger.  The STI is the "better parts selection"  
I think that s just likely a optical illusion on the sight.  That and he has it jacked way up for some reason.  It is melted in in a standard bomar cut.  

I get hell for running welfare triggers. I went through Svi also an new cheely. Give me the plastic any day

20 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

As long as OP is happy with it, that's all that matters.  But if you've broken 10 triggers, aluminum or otherwise, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Like others said, there’s approx 1000 bucks in mags plus another 500 in the rig. Which means the gun is 4500. I personally wouldn’t pay new price for used mags and the belt rig. I’d just go buy brand new stuff, why mess with used for the same price. mbx mags don’t need to be tuned, especially 40 cal mags. It’s effortless to get reliable 40 mags. So if the mags and belt right are 15-1600 new, the most I’d pay used would be 1000-1200. So then the question is, is the gun worth 4800-5000? Again, I’d buy a new one for 5k, unless it was an SVI, then 5k depending on the build would be a pretty good  price. I don’t know what akais sell for new, but if they’re within 1000 bucks of 5000, I’d buy a new one built to my specs. You don’t really need 8 mags either right away. For a good deal I’d definitely take all 8. But I don’t think this is a great deal, maybe not a bad deal either though. 

Id feel better around 5000-5300. 

23 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

As long as OP is happy with it, that's all that matters.  But if you've broken 10 triggers, aluminum or otherwise, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Maybe the wrong is shooting 50-75k rounds a year.  Please let me know what you think. Apparently you know everything about everything.  

SV triggers are well know for breaking.  

ETA:  I also shot a barrel to a smooth bore in one year, two years ago.  

2 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Maybe the wrong is shooting 50-75k rounds a year.  Please let me know what you think. Apparently you know everything about everything.  

SV triggers are well know for breaking.  

ETA:  I also shot a barrel to a smooth bore in one year, two years ago.  

I certainly don't know everything about anything.  Never claimed I did.  In fact, one of the things I don't know is how a high round count results in broken triggers.  Maybe you can explain.

I wouldn't. 

If I had 5k and was getting a limited gun, I'd go for a Atlas Titan and buy three extra mags. 

You still have a ton of money left over and the difference would be negligible in the guns I think. 

Plus I dislike this gun's slide serrations. If I am paying 5k for a custom gun, I want to like it.

8 hours ago, geraldskip said:

I wouldn't. 

If I had 5k and was getting a limited gun, I'd go for a Atlas Titan and buy three extra mags. 

You still have a ton of money left over and the difference would be negligible in the guns I think. 

Plus I dislike this gun's slide serrations. If I am paying 5k for a custom gun, I want to like it.

I pretty much agree with this statement here. If you were to build a custom Akai yourself you don't end up that far off from this person's asking price. 

You said it's just guns and mags, no rig, correct? So the 8 MBX mags new would be 960. Then you're looking at 5k for the gun. 

New from Akai that gun is probably only a few hundred more than 5k (another poster said they specd out a build sheet based on what they saw and it was around 5300.) 

So you get a discount of +/- $300-$400 dollars and skip the wait time on an Akai. 

I would personally pass unless the gun is absolutely everything you want and has every single bell and whistle you're looking for. 

I say that because for less money you could get a Titan, mags, rig and have money left over for ammo and match fees. Or for the same amount of money you could spec out a full custom that's exactly what you want. 

I don't think this is an unfair price for the gun and mags. It's north of what I'd want to spend if I was making any compromises at all though.