Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bluetooth hearing protection to make phone calls

Silverscooby27

I’m trying to find a solution for being able to have hearing protection and be able to make phone calls at the same time, maybe a Bluetooth solution? Has anyone found a solution for this that works well? I need to be able to take phone calls immediately and sometimes I have to walk away a fairly long way to get to an area where there is no shooting going on to be able to hear and talk well. Thanks.

Wow.   Talk about multi-tasking.     :)

Shooting and making phone calls at the same time.

When I go to the range, I shoot.   Get away from phones and other distractions.

Enjoy the shooting and the peace of mind.

When I get in the car, on the way home, I think about returning phone calls

I missed while I was "on vacation".     :) 

Axil Ghost Stryke. I use it to listen to music while shooting. Works great and I can either turn off the Bluetooth side or turn off the ear pro side. Haven’t used it for calls yet though. Box says it’s can be done. Only gripe is that it will enhance the shooting from the next bay 

A6C5812A-3E77-4A3E-8781-1D20ED811E36.jpeg

Edited by love2fishnshoot

On 1/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, Sandbagger123 said:

2nd these ive taken calls while at the range and talked just fine. They didnt even know i was shooting lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, love2fishnshoot said:

Axil Ghost Stryke. I use it to listen to music while shooting. Works great and I can either turn off the Bluetooth side or turn off the ear pro side. Haven’t used it for calls yet though. Box says it’s can be done. Only gripe is that it will enhance the shooting from the next bay 

A6C5812A-3E77-4A3E-8781-1D20ED811E36.jpeg

What  is the sound quality of the music?  Have you figured out how to filter the sound amplification?  I read the reviews on their page and they didn’t fair too well. Are you still happy with your purchase?

The music is great. My friend has the same pair and she does not have the issue of amplified sound from next shooting bay. She is also using the foam insert whereas I’m using the rubber one. That could be the diffence.

I’ll be ordering the Bluetooth walker silencers soon to try out

Something like this would be awesome for practice where I can take phone calls as needed. For matches I feel like I would have to go back to normal ear pro. Knowing my luck, I'd be getting a phone call right at "Are you ready? Standby".

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Walker Silencer BTs (inner ear active plugs). The stock tips don't seal well, but with some good aftermarkets they seal really well. They have a hissy background noise if you're in a really quiet area (like when I was testing them at home) but I don't notice it at all outdoors or at the range. There's an app you can control modes and volume from your phone, and you can stream music. It also has call control so you can answer calls from the earplugs, but I have not used it. I just use it for music when I'm loading. They're a little louder than I like at my indoor range when I'm next to an AR, or close to an open gun, but fine with anything else. And best of all they are rechargable in a cradle like AirPods (but bulkier cradle) , instead the constantly draining hearing aid batteries. That was the big draw for me. They aren't perfect, but I like them better than my bulky active muffs.

Walkers Silencer Bluetooth Rechargeable

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, OptimiStick said:

I have the Walker Silencer BTs (inner ear active plugs). The stock tips don't seal well, but with some good aftermarkets they seal really well. They have a hissy background noise if you're in a really quiet area (like when I was testing them at home) but I don't notice it at all outdoors or at the range. There's an app you can control modes and volume from your phone, and you can stream music. It also has call control so you can answer calls from the earplugs, but I have not used it. I just use it for music when I'm loading. They're a little louder than I like at my indoor range when I'm next to an AR, or close to an open gun, but fine with anything else. And best of all they are rechargable in a cradle like AirPods (but bulkier cradle) , instead the constantly draining hearing aid batteries. That was the big draw for me. They aren't perfect, but I like them better than my bulky active muffs.

Walkers Silencer Bluetooth Rechargeable

Got a link to some good aftermarket replacement tips?  The ones that come with the Walkers are way too short

For me personally, I don’t feel like some of these would offer enough noise reduction. After 9 years of PRS rifle matches, I double up on hearing protection. I wear the MSA Sordin X-treme Pro muffs with yellow foamy plugs under them. I turn the MSA’s up to full volume and it lets me hear just fine with the plugs in. If they made a set of MSA Sordin Pro just like the ones I currently have, but with Bluetooth capabilities, I’d buy them no doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

They are cheap, and work well.  They are much longer than stock and expand with your body heat to seal your ear canal.  The only downside i have run into is: because they are longer than stock, make sure the unit is pressed into the charging cradle fully to get it to charge. That cradle was made for the stock tip, so any longer tips can keep it from fully seating on the charging contacts.  Only happened once before I figured out what happened. Now I just press them in and make sure the light goes on before I put them away.