Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nelsonh said:

Do let us know how it works especially if you try a heavy buffer. I modify just about everything my self.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Same here. I’m hoping someone will have insight on the lack of buffer weight though. Maybe save me some time

I'm very interested to see if this works as I am going another direction with my shotgun. I want to use 00 buckshot with as little recoil as I can get. Have never tried any of the reduced recoil rounds but would think those would kind of void the purpose of the buckshot.

4 hours ago, Nelsonh said:

I'm very interested to see if this works as I am going another direction with my shotgun. I want to use 00 buckshot with as little recoil as I can get. Have never tried any of the reduced recoil rounds but would think those would kind of void the purpose of the buckshot.

Nelson, do you happen to be able to shoot on your property or do you have to travel like me?

So I was thinking...I’ve got an 11/16 deep well socket that’s the same od as the fat part of a buffer weight. The original buffer slides inside the socket, resting against the shoulder, and the spring rests against the bottom of the socket. You’d end up adding about an inch of spring to the overall length in stock configuration. It’s ads instant weight but not more than a rifle length buffer. If I wasn’t going out of town I’d give it a try this weekend. Easy way to test the added weight theory. Now let all the “OMG don’t do that” people chime in... I think it’s worth a try, but maybe not for everyone. I’m going to see if the taccom buffer fits in the socket the same

So I was thinking...I’ve got an 11/16 deep well socket that’s the same od as the fat part of a buffer weight. The original buffer slides inside the socket, resting against the shoulder, and the spring rests against the bottom of the socket. You’d end up adding about an inch of spring to the overall length in stock configuration. It’s ads instant weight but not more than a rifle length buffer. If I wasn’t going out of town I’d give it a try this weekend. Easy way to test the added weight theory. Now let all the “OMG don’t do that” people chime in... I think it’s worth a try, but maybe not for everyone. I’m going to see if the taccom buffer fits in the socket the same
If in doubt tie a string around the trigger and get behind a tree.

14 minutes ago, WWG1WGA said:

I wont tell you not to. We need people like you to test these theories so we can all know for sure 

So the taccom buffer is longer. But if I put it through a 1/2” drive socket, you still have the use of the inner spring. Yeah the socket sounds sketchy but it saves me getting other weight buffers turned down just to try something. If it wasn’t such a good fit inside and out I probably wouldn’t want it in there but as is, it’s just a sleeve that fits the buffer. 

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for about 6 months and decided to share a few photos of my completed (for this season) Derya MK-12.

Derya MK-12 is basically the European and original version of the VR80.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Toimarit_1.jpg

Toimarit_2.jpg

Toimarit_3.jpg

Enos.jpg

Edited by Jaskajokunen
Links removed

Just now, Jaskajokunen said:

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for about 6 months and decided to share a few photos of my completed (for this season) Derya MK-12.

Derya MK-12 is basically the European and original version of the VR80.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Toimarit_1.jpg

Toimarit_2.jpg

Toimarit_3.jpg

Enos.jpg

What muzzle break is that 

5 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

What muzzle break is that 

Haven't thought about it. 😄 Suggestions are allways welcome.

It's my own design. Everything visible in wine red is. Excluding the palm rest and that thing that holds the hand guard in place.

Edited by Jaskajokunen
Grammar and added info

I have seen a few folks looking for m- loks to work with the vm80 and just wanted to point out the standard m- loks work but every brand I have tried you do have to cut them down a little to clear the piston setup.
You file the tabs and the screws. I had plenty of metal to hold the rails/accessory's on mine. Close fit but does work with a little elbow grease.

Boy howdy, I'm late to this party. I just picked up a VR80 (also my first semi-auto shotgun) and I'm looking for a little guidance on:

• Break-in procedure
  • Cleaning
  • Ammo preferences
  • When to use the "heavy load" vs "light load" gas ring

The manual is a little... wanting.

Is there a good "starter" thread for these guns? I'm sure there's a ton of info here but it's a little hard to extract from 59 pages and counting. Thanks!

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

Boy howdy, I'm late to this party. I just picked up a VR80 (also my first semi-auto shotgun) and I'm looking for a little guidance on:

• Break-in procedure
  • Cleaning
  • Ammo preferences

Is there a good "starter" thread for these guns? I'm sure there's a ton of info here but it's a little hard to extract from 59 pages and counting. Thanks!

Read through this thread. It's got all the info you need

6 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Read through this thread. It's got all the info you need

All right, I guess I'm headed back to the beginning. I'll probably skip Genesis, though - the "begat"-ing gets tiresome after a while. 😀🙂

I received my "Defcon 1" brake from Grizzly Gunworks. 

It looks really promising with the angled baffles.  

Unfortunately the bore was cut .022" too small for the chokes to pass.  So it is on its way back to Canada to re-cut the bore.

grizzly brake 1.jpg

grizzly brake 2.jpg

grizzly brake 3.jpg

grizzly brake 4.jpg

grizzly brake 5.jpg

grizzly brake 6.jpg

• Break-in procedure
  • Cleaning
  • Ammo preferences

This is what RIA sent me. And the last guy I talked to said only use the heavy piston for 3 inch shells. Had one rep to tell me to break it in with the heavy piston and that was a lot of work - big old single shot.e74d706c1779f6b2912e2406b1e5ba10.jpg

44 minutes ago, GSonnen said:

I received my "Defcon 1" brake from Grizzly Gunworks. 

It looks really promising with the angled baffles.  

Unfortunately the bore was cut .022" too small for the chokes to pass.  So it is on its way back to Canada to re-cut the bore.

grizzly brake 1.jpg

grizzly brake 2.jpg

grizzly brake 3.jpg

grizzly brake 4.jpg

grizzly brake 5.jpg

grizzly brake 6.jpg

The choke goes inside...why would it matter if the choke can pass as long as the comp can screw on the outside?

Also....I have to say seeing that up close I have less faith that it will perform well because its less than half the size of the long comp. When we are talking about breaking recoil typically it's the longer beefier comp that will do a better job. 

Yes 59 pages seem excessive but you’ll gain so much insight on the gun so quickly you’ll run through the pages and want more! Main thing is to break it “completely “ down and clean it like your an archeologist unearthing aliens. Then just buy a case of the cheapest crap you can (Walmart) and burn through it. I didn’t bother sighting in or anything until the gun started to work. I did the break in with a buddy...1 loaded a mag while the other dumped the mag and vice versa. Don’t shop any parts yet just clean/shoot till it starts working/ clean again. They should include a case of shot with the thing! Everyone goes through the same “is this broken/ ever gonna work” moments...keep shooting it! Have fun!

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

The choke goes inside...why would it matter if the choke can pass as long as the comp can screw on the outside?

because no one wants to remove the comp every time you need to change a choke at a match.