Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Showing clear at Chrono

Yargne

The rule book recommends at the Chrono stage "The Chronograph CRO should have a station next to him where the competitor, when called, can step up and when instructed, show a cleared firearm and then place it on the table per the CRO’s instructions."

rule 5.2.1 states "competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person"

What is the point of showing clear before placing firearm on table? If the Chrono officer finds the firearm loaded in either case the result is the same. Competitor is DQed from match.

The only benefit would be getting possibly swept after seeing unloaded firearm. Still same result DQ.

I would think that, if that gun were to accidentally discharge while the CRO

is "clearing the gun", it might be argued that HE did something to cause the AD ???

It is incumbent on the shooter to deliver a confirmed unloaded weapon to the

CRO for the chrono procedure.

I would think that, if that gun were to accidentally discharge while the CRO
is "clearing the gun", it might be argued that HE did something to cause the AD ???

It is incumbent on the shooter to deliver a confirmed unloaded weapon to the
CRO for the chrono procedure.
Best practice is always to show a weapon safe before exchanging it with another person

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Yargne said:

What is the point of showing clear before placing firearm on table?

As others have said, it’s just common sense gunhandling: if a friend wants to shoot my (clearly still unloaded) firearm at the end of a USPSA match, I’m going to draw it , lock the slide back, and present it to him so that he can get a proper grip on the gun from first contact.

Same applies when setting it on a table for a match official.

Even when a firearm is handed to me and it was shown clear to me prior. I still function the slide open the cylinder or operate the bolt to check for myself. Force of safety habit taught to me a long time ago by my dad. 

A big part of it is safety.  I walk up and upon drawing my gun I lock the slide to the rear and place it on the mat.  The RO can now pick up the gun from a stable location getting a good grip and he can do his checks and inspections.  When he is done he places it back on the mat for me to pick up.

It is similar to why people in the food service industry will not allow you to hold your cup or glass while they fill it.  You will decide it is full enough and pull it away while they are still pouring.  You will only do that once if they are pouring coffee while you hold the cup over your lap.  😬

I feel the answer is we are all human, and somehow we manage to screw things up. As an RO, the number of times I have been swept with a loaded gun by a 180 violation have been more then once, I have witnessed a shooter load and make ready FACING the wrong direction, and the list continues. 

As laz2011 points out, when anybody anywhere hands me a firearm, I want them to clear it, and I will do the same. The chrono stage is one of those where the RO has not witnessed any preparation of the firearm, therefore its condition is completely unknown. If there is an AD, it goes down range. You might ask how a live round got put in a holstered gun, well, I can think of one specific shooter who thought his SS mags were full, then had only 4 rounds, and he may or may not have thought the mag had dropped out prior to the hammer down command only to shot a round into the berm.

As humans we do some of the strangest things, whether by confusion, or lack of attention, or God only knows how we manage to get into trouble. I am sure there is more then one shooter here can look back on a first marriage and wonder "how the hell did that happen".

On 11/29/2018 at 7:33 PM, laz2011 said:

The point of showing clear is to make sure the gun is unloaded.  If I'm handed a firearm by a friend or at a store I will still check my self . Remember all guns are loaded until u check it your self . Never assume. 

+1 

I check it is empty, hand it to you with either the action open or hammer down on empty chamber, and then you also check it is empty. Then we carry on with whatever we are doing.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:06 AM, revoman said:

Even when a firearm is handed to me and it was shown clear to me prior. I still function the slide open the cylinder or operate the bolt to check for myself. Force of safety habit taught to me a long time ago by my dad. 

+1  Thanks Dad !!!