Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made a dryfire stage at home...

Jcgatus

I got tired of dryfiring my draws, reloads, etc. And i was itching to go shoot a match but schedule did not permit it with daddy duties taking priority. So instead, i took some leftover scrap and made a stage at home! 

Its not the real thing but its definitely showing my weaknesses. I also have my wife and kid create the stage and rearrange the targets  for me so I can practice mental preps. 

Great idea! I have found that breaking down the skills into as small as steps as possible and then practicing them individually is where I see the most improvement BUT boy does it get boring. This would also give you a way to kind of bench mark yourself doing multiple should over time. I also am going to try out your idea of having your family mix things up for you.  

1 hour ago, jsoupene said:

Great idea! I have found that breaking down the skills into as small as steps as possible and then practicing them individually is where I see the most improvement BUT boy does it get boring. This would also give you a way to kind of bench mark yourself doing multiple should over time. I also am going to try out your idea of having your family mix things up for you.  

Thank you! Stage planning was one of my biggest weaknesses, especially if i went first.

What percentage would yall say stage planning covers out of the entire thing? I say 40

2 hours ago, Jcgatus said:

What percentage would yall say stage planning covers out of the entire thing? I say 40

It depends how you are thinking about it:

Occasionally there are huge shortcuts possible: skipping an entire position everyone else is using by taking targets from somewhere else, or something like that. But those are rare.

Normally, you have two or three ways to shoot a stage which are all going to be within a second of each other. Even at the nationals on the super squad, people shoots some stages in very different ways.

Most of the time, choosing the “best” plan isn’t super important. What is important is how well you execute your plan.

So if you learn to visualize your plan over and over until you can walk up to the line and perform it smoothly and agressively with no wasted time? You’ll do well. Your goal is to have no hesitation or forgetfulness on match day.

A perfect plan executed marginally will always lose to a marginal plan executed perfectly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It depends how you are thinking about it:

Occasionally there are huge shortcuts possible: skipping an entire position everyone else is using by taking targets from somewhere else, or something like that. But those are rare.

Normally, you have two or three ways to shoot a stage which are all going to be within a second of each other. Even at the nationals on the super squad, people shoots some stages in very different ways.

Most of the time, choosing the “best” plan isn’t super important. What is important is how well you execute your plan.

So if you learn to visualize your plan over and over until you can walk up to the line and perform it smoothly and agressively with no wasted time? You’ll do well. Your goal is to have no hesitation or forgetfulness on match day.

A perfect plan executed marginally will always lose to a marginal plan executed perfectly.

As soon as I started CONSISTENTLY doing the visualization that he is talking about above then I drastically improved. Visualizing the stage over and over and over was probably the simplest and easiest thing for me to do that gave me the most return on my investment.....or as the say,  it was the lowest hanging fruit.

I also have to be cautious about changing my stage plan right before I shoot when the guy before me finds a more efficient way to run the stage. I am better off sticking to my original plan because I have committed it to memory by now and it's too late to visualize this new plan over and over and over. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Sneexies said:

I'm pretty damn jealous of this setup. I thought about doing something in my backyard, but I feel like my two story neighbor will think I'm a little crazy 😛

Haha, I can see that happening. 

19 hours ago, Sneexies said:

I'm pretty damn jealous of this setup. I thought about doing something in my backyard, but I feel like my two story neighbor will think I'm a little crazy 😛

my neighbors can see me running around in the backyard with a gun. they don't seem to care. (not that I would GAF if they did care).

20 hours ago, Sneexies said:

On one of his podcasts Steve Anderson said he used to run around his neighborhood with a cap gun from mailbox to mailbox "shooting" at stuff practicing entries and exits.  One day he said his neighbor called and said "Hey, did I just see you run across my driveway with a cap gun?"  And he said "Yeap, that was me" and they said " oh, ok" 😂🤣

17 hours ago, jsoupene said:

On one of his podcasts Steve Anderson said he used to run around his neighborhood with a cap gun from mailbox to mailbox "shooting" at stuff practicing entries and exits.  One day he said his neighbor called and said "Hey, did I just see you run across my driveway with a cap gun?"  And he said "Yeap, that was me" and they said " oh, ok" 😂🤣

I dunno... Im in military base. Lol

I don’t know that it would be any more useful than a static Texas star targetDepending on your preferred pattern, you (should) shoot most if not all the plates before it really gets spinning too much anyway. I usually shoot them clockwise, and in dryfire I just shoot the 5 o’clock plate two more times because that’s where the others would end up. 

16 minutes ago, Kixx said:

I don’t know that it would be any more useful than a static Texas star targetDepending on your preferred pattern, you (should) shoot most if not all the plates before it really gets spinning too much anyway. I usually shoot them clockwise, and in dryfire I just shoot the 5 o’clock plate two more times because that’s where the others would end up. 

Thats what my mind tells me... But my skillset says otherwise 

I guess i can practice both. Static and when sh** hits the fan mode. I can pull the trigger when the plate comes into sight 

Or i can just stop sucking.

12 minutes ago, Jcgatus said:

Thats what my mind tells me... But my skillset says otherwise 

I guess i can practice both. Static and when sh** hits the fan mode. I can pull the trigger when the plate comes into sight 

Or i can just stop sucking.

I wouldnt practice doing it wrong, you don’t want that subconscious expectation in the back of your head when shooting one in a match. I think a lot of people are intimidated by stars because most can’t practice them in live fire.

Just remember that it’s five separate targets and shoot them one at a time. You don’t want to rush yourself into missing because you feel like you need to shoot the plates quickly before they start moving. Be disciplined in your dryfire to call your shots and go one for one on each plate. This will carry over into live fire/match day because you’ll already know how to shoot it and that you can. 

Edited by Kixx