Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy AR trigger job

JD45

I've never owned an Ar until I got this M&P Sport II.  I want to lighten the heavy stock trigger. Anything under 4.5lbs would be fine. The two stage feel is ok too. But I want a decent break. 

Can i do it myself with stock parts? I did my own 1911 and other trigger  

jobs , so I figure it may be easier. 

5 minutes ago, Darby10 said:

Geissle makes a really nice service rifle trigger group, nickel boron coated, smooth break, for around $70, jp springs are also a good option. 

ALG milspec is what you’re referring too. You can get a lighter trigger but the pre travel, overtravel and reset will be longer than a higher end trigger. 

I've got one mil spec trigger I wanted to clean up for cheap. I got the lighter springs and a grip screw that adjusts most of the pre travel out. With a light polish job it turned out decent. Not competition decent mind you, just truck gun decent. 

Now I'll just insert a shameless plug for a trigger I'm selling cheap....

On 11/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, Matt1911 said:

Yellow JP springs, polish the contact points and cut the tail off the hammer. 

Or you can go the easier and much better trigger job route and get a Timney drop in. 

Drop in is my vote. More $$ but huge difference.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, lefty o said:

use caution when cutting and polishing on stock parts. the surface hardening is very thin. dont take much to cause yourself big problems.  

+1

We were running drills a month ago and my friend's AR kept randomly double tapping due to some kitchen table gunsmithing (used gun, not his bad). He handed it to me and sure enough, every 3rd, 4th, or 5th shot came out as a pair. Totally unpredictable. It was both scary and funny at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Cypress said:

+1

We were running drills a month ago and my friend's AR kept randomly double tapping due to some kitchen table gunsmithing (used gun, not his bad). He handed it to me and sure enough, every 3rd, 4th, or 5th shot came out as a pair. Totally unpredictable. It was both scary and funny at the same time. 

That is good for up to 10 years in the pen if the wrong person sees you doing that... 

I'd advise you to stay clear of that rifle until it is repaired...  Intent does not matter!