Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm only reloading

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/18/2018 at 4:22 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Only took one hour/week     ?

Guess I could have plunked down $1,100 for a 650 and saved myself 30 minutes/month

or one minute/day.     1️⃣     ?

I get what you're saying. I was in a similar place early this year. I have a progressive RCBS reloader I'd been using for 20+ years. Worked well for my needs. But the wife and I had really ramped up on shooting, so I was spending a lot more time at the reloading bench. I enjoy reloading, but the brass handling was getting old, and I knew slowing down the process considerably. There was no option for a case feeder on the RCBS, just as there is not one for the SDB. I decided to invest in an XL650 with case feeder, and am happy I did. Yeah, I was out $800 for a 2nd press, but my time at the reloading bench is reduced, and I'm enjoying it more.

I still use the old press for the other calibers I shoot, since I already had the dies setup for it. I shoot so little of .40 or .44 mag anymore, that the slower reloading is not really an issue there.

One of many good reasons of investing in new machines is the pleasure you receive from using them.

Yes,  in many cases you can do just as well time-wise using older, more simple (primitive?) presses, but your fun level increases with better machines. 

Whether this pleasure is worth the money - everyone's personal decision, but there is no denying that loading on, say, a 1050 produces different sensation.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, schaet said:

Everything said is true and accurate, however take into consideration where this hobby/sport is going to take you? Sure, you'r at 5000/year .. probably mostly plinking or punching holes? Maybe a match here or there? 

However, as well all know, that can quickly turn into a lot more, but again it depends where you would like to go from here. Just for occasional shooting; factory makes the most sense. Thoughts of competitive shooting; I'd start to consider a press. Also if you're shooting competitively, the press isn't about saving money on ammo (albeit you will), it's about load development etc. At least for me it is. 

Personally I'd think long and hard about it and base a decision with taking in what the near future of your shooting looks like. Basically what I'm saying is this: if it were me and I was looking at getting into or more into competitive shooting I would consider a press and be keeping my eyes open for good deal on one. I've seen some really nice package deals in the BE classifieds especially for 9mm. If it was the right price I would grab it. like razorfish mentioned, they hold their value pretty good, so if you were to sell it you probably could get most if not all your money back.

If you just want to shoot non-competitively, or occasional match, then factory is the quick and easy way. I've seen some good deals on cases of factory for almost as cheap as I reload for. 

Don't ask the guy who has a 650 and a 1050 hahaha

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

One of many good reasons of investing in new machines is the pleasure you receive from using them.

Yes,  in many cases you can do just as well time-wise using older, more simple (primitive?) presses, but your fun level increases with better machines. 

Whether this pleasure is worth the money - everyone's personal decision, but there is no denying that loading on, say, a 1050 produces different sensation.

I agree.

I also know that for me personally once I got to the point where I was loading about 250/week and more on a Lee Classic turret that I was getting to really dread my reloading sessions.

(250 = 1000 lever pulls).

Since I upgraded to a 650 (and I've now loaded longer on the 650 than I did with the turret) I don't consider the time necessary to reload to be a negative at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the 650 and Case feeder, you won't regret it. I am pretty busy with family and work and can crank out 800-1k in 1-2 hours including loading primer tubes. That's something I couldn't too with my old LNL or my friends 550. 

So what if there is another gun rights scare in 2 years?  Cheap 9 mm goes back to 15.00 a box, would you still buy 5k a year if you can even find it?  I say buy the most press you can afford cause like boats, you'll always want a bigger one.

20 minutes ago, Andyk said:

So what if there is another gun rights scare in 2 years?  Cheap 9 mm goes back to 15.00 a box, would you still buy 5k a year if you can even find it?  I say buy the most press you can afford cause like boats, you'll always want a bigger one.

Just like with gun safes.

I started on a single stage then went to a SDB and consolidated to 9mm like you. Set it up and only did 9mm about the same amount as your needs. I sold it last year and made the move to a XL650.

The case feeder alone is worth the upgrade. Other things that are better with the 650 is leverage. Its easier to work and provides more room to work. At the same time if your looking to save space the SDB is much more compact.

Not going to go wrong with either. That SDB was a nice little unit. Much more capability and better ergos with the 650. For me the time burglar aspect of loading is what pushed me into a 650. Nice to be able to fill powder dump brass and start loading. May add a bullet feeder if I start doing more volume.

I believe I started doing this to" save money "?

I wish I could let you come over and load 9mm on the 550 and then step over to the 1050. I like the greater room the 550 provides over the Square Deal and I owned several square deals. Buy once and love it. Go 1050!

Priming on the downstroke and no fear of crimped primer pockets is a wonderful thing. As you get older and can no longer load for hours at a time....the 1050 shines. Its like owning a pickup, you will always have friends.....LOL

@rdinga there are features on the 1050 people dont mention often enough:

1) How SHOCKINGLY easy the handle is to pull compared to the SDB/550/650. It feels like I have twice the leverage. No more tight shoulder / elbow after 500 rounds.

2) The fact that one primer will just keep been presented for a dozen cycles until you finally use it. Massive upgrade over a 650. Empty station? No problem. That primer just shuttles back out and gets fed to the next piece of brass.

3) Primer depth is a mechanical adjustment. Yes swages primer pockets are amazing, but you always hear that. High primers are a constant worry with a 650 and you pay constant attention to the feel of every case. With the 1050 every pocket has been swaged, and it presses them all to the same depth. Load 1,000 and they’ll all feel exactly the same, and case gauge like it too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

High primers are a constant worry with a 650 and you pay constant attention to the feel of every case.

MM - I know what you mean but high primers on a 650 are usually due to the primer seating assembly being loose. If this is checked as part of one's pre-loading checklist - powder throw weight, dies tight, etc. - it really isn't a problem.

8 minutes ago, lgh said:

MM - I know what you mean but high primers on a 650 are usually due to the primer seating assembly being loose. If this is checked as part of one's pre-loading checklist - powder throw weight, dies tight, etc. - it really isn't a problem.

Lies. :D 

I’m gonna have to call you on this because, like you, I was a 650 apologist for years. “It’s great, who needs a 1050?”

With a wide variety of mixed brass leading to the occasional tight primer pocket, and CCI primers, they still happen a few times in 500 rounds. Not to mention the half-dozen or so you’ll flat out deform (or crush!) before you feel the increased effort while cranking ammo out fast with a bulletfeeder installed.

If you only feed your press princess brass and buttery-soft federal primers, you’re probably correct.

(And for the record, in well over 30,000 rounds I never had my seating assembly come loose on the 650.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

With a wide variety of mixed brass

Well there you go, you need the princess brass!?  I rarely have a high primer on my 650 and the machine just works. Still, maybe I should loosen the primer assembly to give me a good excuse to bump up to a 1050. 

21 minutes ago, lgh said:

Well there you go, you need the princess brass!?  I rarely have a high primer on my 650 and the machine just works. Still, maybe I should loosen the primer assembly to give me a good excuse to bump up to a 1050. 

You will never regret it. I thought the 650 was an impressive machine and was totally content.

Never load on a friend’s 1050 unless you want to go home and spend the money... I’ll just say that.

Back to the OP. I started out loading 9 on a SDB and it was fine. But it uses proprietary dies. I sold the 9mm SDB to a friend and got the 650 with casefeeder. It is plenty fast for my purposes. I keep it set up for one caliber for long stretches. 9, then 45 and now back to 9. I have tool heads set up for two different 9mm bullets and it is real easy to just swap them out as needed. Ergonomics of the 650 has been fine. I reload standing up and use the ball handle not the ergo one.

Part of the decision making might have to do with how much time you have. I can (finally!) work at a relaxed pace but those with busy jobs, kids, commuting, etc might appreciate more speed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering getting a Dillon press for Christmas but I'm torn as to what I want to get. I'm going back and forth between a SDB and a 550B. I shoot 9mm in competition as a production USPSA shooter but have been inconsistent with my shooting as I am in graduate school and finishing up in May. I plan on increasing my shooting to 500-750 rounds/month after May but I am unsure as to if I'll be changing or using multiple calibers soon. Is it worth the jump in price to the 550B and its versatility or does it make more sense to get the SDB since I know I'm likely to stick with 9mm for a while?