Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320x5 Carry Optics

Bryamill

7 hours ago, AWLAZS said:

A bit off topic but why does the right handed left eye make you look through the optic  instead of at the target?

I have to put tape on my left lens, so I can only see out of my right eye, which means that I have to look through the scope.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered a Delta Point Pro? I know it's a bit more expensive than the Romeo 1 but the window is bigger which is a nice touch. Springer does have a plate for it too. I had a FastFire 3 on my 34 MOS and upgraded to the DPP and haven't looked back. This is also after a friend of mine constantly recommended the DPP and put them on all his CO and Open guns. I'm planning on buying an X5 soon and will putting a DPP on it as well. The dot is super crisp and glass very clear.

4 hours ago, mellino19 said:

Have you considered a Delta Point Pro? I know it's a bit more expensive than the Romeo 1 but the window is bigger which is a nice touch. Springer does have a plate for it too. I had a FastFire 3 on my 34 MOS and upgraded to the DPP and haven't looked back. This is also after a friend of mine constantly recommended the DPP and put them on all his CO and Open guns. I'm planning on buying an X5 soon and will putting a DPP on it as well. The dot is super crisp and glass very clear.

I’ve never looked through a DDP.

I have a Romeo 3, on an adapter plate, on my other Xfive, and I like it a little better because I don’t see the front sight in the window, and the window is a little bigger, but, in bright sunlight, I barely see the dot.

I have a 6MOA Romeo 1, and an adapter plate on the way to replace the Romeo 3, with a 6MOA Viper I have laying around. The glass on the Romeo 3 looks like it has a chip missing, in the top of the glass and has to go in for warranty, which I know will take at least a month.

13 hours ago, RH45 said:

I’ve never looked through a DDP.

I have a Romeo 3, on an adapter plate, on my other Xfive, and I like it a little better because I don’t see the front sight in the window, and the window is a little bigger, but, in bright sunlight, I barely see the dot.

I have a 6MOA Romeo 1, and an adapter plate on the way to replace the Romeo 3, with a 6MOA Viper I have laying around. The glass on the Romeo 3 looks like it has a chip missing, in the top of the glass and has to go in for warranty, which I know will take at least a month.

I think the Romeo 1 is comparable to the DPP in terms of window but not the 6 MOA dot. I've never looked through an R1 but looking at photos online, the glass/window seems to be the same size or very close at least. Only thing is, if you want a bigger dot then you may want to lean to the R1 since the DPP comes in a 2.5 MOA dot or a 7.5 MOA triangle.

As with anything of course, I'd say try to find a store near you that has both and look at them side by side. Don't know what's around you for Cabela's or Bass Pro but they both typically stock them; otherwise I'm sure larger gun stores would carry them.

The Romeo 1 and DPP field of view when looking through the glass aren’t even close. DPP has a much larger glass area. Also, the 2.5 MOA DPP feels much more like a 6 as it is very bright and clear. I own both and have them on different guns. 

I received my 6 MOA R1 last week and the dot is incredible. The smaller glass area doesn’t hurt but takes more dry fire to acquire fast. 

I have always run the 6moa rmr. I thought that was the bees knees until I mounted a R1 6moa on my new X-Five.  Holy cow, what a difference.  I would lose my dot occasionally in the rmr. The R1 is awesome!  It’s probably not as durable as an rmr but for USPSA matches it will be just fine. I shot 2 matches with the X5/R1 and I was beating people that I have never beat before.  

I have my Romeo 1 mounted and sighted in. I’m shooting my first CO match tomorrow. Question - I find the front sight a little distracting and I only use this for competition. Does anyone just remove the front sight for CO? I know that you can co-witness with the R1, but I don’t know that I will. 

taking the front sight off is a big help when using the R1.  The dot is much better than the DPP I was using.  No comparison. 
The DPP is also significantly heavier before you add the adapter plate and the last thing you want to do is add reciprocating weight to a slide.
The DPP with adapter plate is right at 2.49 oz vs  0.7 oz with the R1.    

2 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

taking the front sight off is a big help when using the R1.  The dot is much better than the DPP I was using.  No comparison. 
The DPP is also significantly heavier before you add the adapter plate and the last thing you want to do is add reciprocating weight to a slide.
The DPP with adapter plate is right at 2.49 oz vs  0.7 oz with the R1.    

Holy hell there’s that much of a difference?! Looks like I have to check out an R1 yo compared to my DPP now and maybe reconsider optic choice when I get my X5 ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 6:49 AM, RH45 said:

For those of you that have used the Romeo 1, in 3 MOA, and 6 MOA, can you tell me if the dot is any brighter on the 6 MOA?

I'm a little color blind, and am having issues on bright days, with both my Romeo1, and Romeo3, with 3 MOA dots.

I prefer the Romeo 3, with the adapter plate, because of the larger window, and it sits high enough that I'm not seeing the front sight at the same time.

I'm right-handed, and left eye dominant, so I NEED to see the target through the glass, and with the Romeo 1, it blocks some of the view.

Yes the 6moa is brighter.

I have 3, 3moas and just got my 6 moa...it’s a lot better

A slightly side topic to this- mounted the SIG steel shroud for the Romeo1 onto two of my units, one on a 320X5 and one on an X-Carry.  No issues at all having put 500 rounds through both, and a bit more peace of mind for rough handling/CCW.

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2018 at 8:56 AM, Archer said:

A slightly side topic to this- mounted the SIG steel shroud for the Romeo1 onto two of my units, one on a 320X5 and one on an X-Carry.  No issues at all having put 500 rounds through both, and a bit more peace of mind for rough handling/CCW.

Just a question regarding the shroud, when you fitted it did it require re zero for elevation or not enough difference to warrant it?

On 2/10/2019 at 1:49 AM, terrydoc said:

Just a question regarding the shroud, when you fitted it did it require re zero for elevation or not enough difference to warrant it?

I used a 9mm laser chamber boresighter, noted relative position at 10M, changed it out, clicked it to the same relative zero.  I didn't need to make any adjustment on two of the 4 pistols I performed this on.

• 4 weeks later...

Working on getting my new X5 ready to shoot some competition round this year and planning on installing a red dot.

I am considering the  Romeo 1 and the Vortex Venom, I was trying to determine if either or both could be mounter directly to the slide after removing the site plate or they require an adaptor plate?

I also have an astigmatism that causes the RD to flare when it's bright on a rifle tube type RD. I have read that several have issues with the 3 MOA Romeo not being able to see it in bright day light. I was really leaning more to the 3 MOA vs the 6 MOA due to the flaring issue of the RD as I can turn it down brightness wise and have little distortion.

It looks like the Venom is just slightly more in weight not considering any mount 1.1 oz vs. .08 on the Romeo I think

The Venom warranty is the best in the market as I have other Vortex equipment I not sure on the Romeo yet.

Any info you can share will help as I would like to get one ordered this week.

Thanks  DK

Romeo 1 6moa requires NO plate

Venom does.

I had a Romeo that I bought used. Prior owner said it tumbled off the bench while mounted on slide. After about a thousand rounds it lost elevation setting.

Sig sent an Express shipping label and was on it's way back one day after they received it. New one per their email. Seems like really good CS to me.

7 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

Working on getting my new X5 ready to shoot some competition round this year and planning on installing a red dot.

I am considering the  Romeo 1 and the Vortex Venom, I was trying to determine if either or both could be mounter directly to the slide after removing the site plate or they require an adaptor plate?

I also have an astigmatism that causes the RD to flare when it's bright on a rifle tube type RD. I have read that several have issues with the 3 MOA Romeo not being able to see it in bright day light. I was really leaning more to the 3 MOA vs the 6 MOA due to the flaring issue of the RD as I can turn it down brightness wise and have little distortion.

It looks like the Venom is just slightly more in weight not considering any mount 1.1 oz vs. .08 on the Romeo I think

The Venom warranty is the best in the market as I have other Vortex equipment I not sure on the Romeo yet.

Any info you can share will help as I would like to get one ordered this week.

Thanks  DK

I would go with the Romeo since it’s a direct fit. I tried the delta point pro plate and it wouldn’t line up even after  

trading it with the manufacturer a few times. I have heard other people having issues with  adapter plates on the X5 as well. It’s unfortunate if you prefer a different type of optic but the Romeo is a good red dot. 

6 MOA all day long. I replied this in the X5 thread as well. I love the Romeo 1, but the Venom is a nice dot as well, but as others have mentioned, you need a mounting plate to get it to work. With the forces being applied to the sight being slammed back and forth repeatedly while on the slide, it is always better to mill and mount the sight directly to the slide. With the X5, you can mount the Romeo 1 directly, and the DPP with some slight modifications. That would be my recommendations.

Did I mention 6 MOA??? 🤣

I have been trying to find all the information I could on the Sig  Romeo 1 and The Vortex Venom. Between the you tube videos, product reviews and information shared here and other forms I am still having trouble deciding between the two.

The Romeo is 8 oz while the Venom is 1.1 oz then I have to add .6 for the adaptor plate bringing it to 1.7. Then I was watching a Video by Alma mounting the Romeo and it was sweet how easy it was. Then it directed me to another video of his, installing a shield on the Romeo, which he said it needed due to it being pretty fragile. The weight of the shield is 7.5 oz with a cost of $65. Now we are Romeo @ 1.55 oz vs. Venom @1.7 oz. By the time you add the unit cost and shield or adaptor the cost is almost the same or within $20 of each other. A lot of the members here say the 3 MOA is not bright enough for some day light situations and I noticed that it has 5 levels of brightness. The Venom has 10 setting and auto brightness mode. The Romeo has the shake and wake feature, while both auto off. Both have a fixed rear site built in, which will be great on the X5.

I keep my guns for a very long time as a rule, 20 years on most some even longer. Duty weapons I would upgrade or just get something newer and keep the previous. With Sig the warranty is life no questions ask, except for electronics and that's 5 years.  Vortex is life on everything no questions ask, I'm thinking on this type of RD you're going to break the glass or something in the electronics.

For those of you that have the Romeo how has it held up and how rough do you treat it? Would you use it as a charging handle if you had a jam?

I was ready to get the Romeo due to the mounting ease, combine weight and cost of the adaptor but the Vortex warranty keep calling me. If this was a duty or carry weapon I would buy the Romeo just for the shake and wake over coming the warranty, but this X5 will be a range queen only.

Just for the record my last duty weapon, S&W 645 looks like new except for some holster wear and it saw a lot over 8-10 years.

If I have missed anything about either let me know as I will order one of them by the 15th.

DK

I'm not sure where the fragile aspect came from.  Almost all the mini dots if dropped directly on the top will break, normally it's the glass.  Broke a rts2 that way.  My  R1 has held up great;  one has about 12k rounds through it and I'm not dainty with it.  I wouldn't hesitate to rack the slide with it and have.  I've owned four different mini dots, this is the only one I haven't had problems with.  

Edited by chenault