Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320x5 Carry Optics

Bryamill

8 hours ago, LawDog324 said:

I have been trying to find all the information I could on the Sig  Romeo 1 and The Vortex Venom. Between the you tube videos, product reviews and information shared here and other forms I am still having trouble deciding between the two.

The Romeo is 8 oz while the Venom is 1.1 oz then I have to add .6 for the adaptor plate bringing it to 1.7. Then I was watching a Video by Alma mounting the Romeo and it was sweet how easy it was. Then it directed me to another video of his, installing a shield on the Romeo, which he said it needed due to it being pretty fragile. The weight of the shield is 7.5 oz with a cost of $65. Now we are Romeo @ 1.55 oz vs. Venom @1.7 oz. By the time you add the unit cost and shield or adaptor the cost is almost the same or within $20 of each other. A lot of the members here say the 3 MOA is not bright enough for some day light situations and I noticed that it has 5 levels of brightness. The Venom has 10 setting and auto brightness mode. The Romeo has the shake and wake feature, while both auto off. Both have a fixed rear site built in, which will be great on the X5.

I keep my guns for a very long time as a rule, 20 years on most some even longer. Duty weapons I would upgrade or just get something newer and keep the previous. With Sig the warranty is life no questions ask, except for electronics and that's 5 years.  Vortex is life on everything no questions ask, I'm thinking on this type of RD you're going to break the glass or something in the electronics.

For those of you that have the Romeo how has it held up and how rough do you treat it? Would you use it as a charging handle if you had a jam?

I was ready to get the Romeo due to the mounting ease, combine weight and cost of the adaptor but the Vortex warranty keep calling me. If this was a duty or carry weapon I would buy the Romeo just for the shake and wake over coming the warranty, but this X5 will be a range queen only.

Just for the record my last duty weapon, S&W 645 looks like new except for some holster wear and it saw a lot over 8-10 years.

If I have missed anything about either let me know as I will order one of them by the 15th.

DK

Do you mean the Romeo 1 is 8 oz with the shield? Your first weight mentioned says the R1 weighs 8 oz and I was like ummmm way to high of a number; but I saw you said 1.5 oz later. I looked up the romeo 1 shroud but no weights are listed. Anything near a half pound sounds way too high. 

I have  plenty of rounds through my X5 and my romeo 1 without the shield has been strong, the lens is just a shell deflector 🤪

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

Do you mean the Romeo 1 is 8 oz with the shield? Your first weight mentioned says the R1 weighs 8 oz and I was like ummmm way to high of a number; but I saw you said 1.5 oz later. I looked up the romeo 1 shroud but no weights are listed. Anything near a half pound sounds way too high. 

I have  plenty of rounds through my X5 and my romeo 1 without the shield has been strong, the lens is just a shell deflector 🤪

I must of left the (.) out according to Sig site it weights .8 oz, during the shield install video Alma Cole did on the shield he weighs the shield on his scale it was .6 something oz. bringing the total weight to 1.5 approx. He stated the shield/guard is made of steel.

DK

I have 4 Sig's with R1's on them. 3 of them are RX's so came with R1's mounted, the 4th is an X5 I put the R1 on. All purchased new over the last 1.5 years. Not a single R1's is the original. All have been replaced, some multiple times. And the replacements have mostly been refurbished units, so an optic someone else has already had issues with. So I'm not too impressed with them, needless to say.

I have a Vortex Venom mounted on a 2.0 5" M&P. Been there about the same time, 1.5 years. Never had a lick of issues with it and it works great for me.

Edited by jejb

14 minutes ago, EvilNuff said:

Were you able to co witness with the venom?

You'd have to replace the front sight first, as it is not suppressor height. The Venom has a couple of dots on it, but no notch. It could be done, I suppose. It is just a range gun for me, so co-witness is not important for it. If the red dot fails, I'll just replace the battery or use a different gun.

6 hours ago, jejb said:

I have 4 Sig's with R1's on them. 3 of them are RX's so came with R1's mounted, the 4th is an X5 I put the R1 on. All purchased new over the last 1.5 years. Not a single R1's is the original. All have been replaced, some multiple times. And the replacements have mostly been refurbished units, so an optic someone else has already had issues with. So I'm not too impressed with them, needless to say.

I have a Vortex Venom mounted on a 2.0 5" M&P. Been there about the same time, 1.5 years. Never had a lick of issues with it and it works great for me.

This has been my fear and if it fails in the electronics area after 5 years no warranty.

Thanks for the info

DK

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:13 AM, jejb said:

With all the reviews and comments I read on the Romeo 1 issues and failures I could not bring myself to getting one. I really want too due to the direct mount and features it offered for the price point. 

I ended up getting the Vortex Razor 6 MOA and the springer adaptor plate and hopefully I'll get it mounted this week. In the end it came down to the warranty Vortex has and great reviews.

Thanks to all that commented and help me making a choice.

DK