Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter's World Clean Shot

Wvaughn7

I recently stumbled upon this powder at a gun show for around $15/lb and couldn't pass up the deal to try out a new powder for 9mm minor loads. I finally got out to try the loads tonight and put them through the chronograph out of my 16" AR9 and a 5" Rock Island HiCap 1911. I can post the shot to shot data if anyone wants it, but to save time here are my average. SD, ES and PF for each of the five loads I tried. I also have some single shot data outside of what I chrono'd that I shot in my back yard to get a ballpark of what to load before heading to the range. All loads were with Acme Coated 115 grain RN bullets at 1.050" to fit a short chambered PCC. Outside of one outlier in the 3.6 group in the Rock Island the ES and SD for these loads were incredible, a couple of the loads have an ES smaller than  the SD of any other load I have ever shot. The powder is a little dirty at the light charges, but most are in a PCC anyway, so I can live with this.

AR9 with 16" Barrel

3.2 Clean Shot, Avg 1143, SD 4.0, ES 10, PF 131.4

3.4 Clean Shot, Avg 1185, SD 2.6, ES 7, PF 131.4

3.6 Clean Shot, Only one shot @ 1255, PF 144.3

3.9 Clean Shot, Only one shot @ 1296, PF 149.0

4.2 Clean Shot, Only one shot @ 1354, PF 155.7

Rock Island with 5" Barrel

3.6 Clean Shot, Avg 1101, SD 13.8, ES 38, PF 126.6

3.8 Clean Shot, Avg 1128, SD 2.3, ES 5, PF 129.7

4.0 Clean Shot, Avg 1159, SD 5.5, ES 16, PF 132.9

It is supposed to be the same as AA#2.

I find it just a touch slower than Titegroup and Bullseye, typically a tenth of a grain more to make the same velocity.

It meters fantastic, and has given me the lowest SDs of any powder I have tried. When I get the chance to buy more I will probably stock up a little.

Yes I loaded it the same as the Bullseye loads it may replace and got very close to the same speed from each gun. It is the smallest powder I have used so far so metering is wonderful as stated above. Around me I can get 5 pound jugs for ~$80 OTD so the price is hard to beat with anything other than some of the cheaper Vectan powders Graf’s runs specials on occasionally. 

9 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I use Clean Shot. I liked it quite a bit, quite soft shooting and easy to track the sights. I am going to load some N320 next though. 

I’m using n320 in my 40 and I would love to know how it compares to clean shot. Up here n320 is in the neighborhood of 50$ a pound and clean shot is 25$ a pound. Keep us updated! 

8 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

I’m using n320 in my 40 and I would love to know how it compares to clean shot. Up here n320 is in the neighborhood of 50$ a pound and clean shot is 25$ a pound. Keep us updated! 

Ouch, that's insanely expensive. For me, N320 is about $25/lb while Clean Shot (and other similar powders) is $15-20/lb. That said, when you break down the cost over 1000s, the powder is a very small factor for me so I don't mind the N320 if I do end up liking it more.

Have you looked into Sport Pistol? That's a very popular alternative to N320.

There is only one place in Ak that has the shooters world powder and they are about 6 hours away so it’s a little difficult to just pick a pound up to try and I’ve never even seen alliant sport pistol. Powder selection can be a bit difficult at times so I’m trying to find a suitable/readily available substitute for n320, I still have a couple pounds left but it’s really hit or miss on anyone actually carrying it.  

7 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

There is only one place in Ak that has the shooters world powder and they are about 6 hours away so it’s a little difficult to just pick a pound up to try and I’ve never even seen alliant sport pistol. Powder selection can be a bit difficult at times so I’m trying to find a suitable/readily available substitute for n320, I still have a couple pounds left but it’s really hit or miss on anyone actually carrying it.  

Gotcha. Sport Pistol seems to be out of stock even at PVI. Are you placing orders in bulk online or smaller orders? PVI usually has hazmat and/or free shipping deals time to time that would make it worth it if you order in bulk. That is what I am doing since local powders +primers are a bit pricey. The only comparison I have for Clean Shot is Ramshot True Blue which was a snappier powder (better than factory ammos till though). I am shooting 9mm minor out a Shadow 2 though so maybe the True Blue might work better for you if you need to make major PF. I know the True Blue was much more popular amongst 40 and 45 shooters than 9 shooters.

image.thumb.png.557c4bd784d8147315ded0f0050f9e01.png

Obviously not worth it for a single lb, but definitely worth it if you buy maybe 4-8 lbs and primers to go with it, and maybe some bullets.

Trying to get a direct shipment isn’t worth it unless I can get close to 50 pounds of powder and primers since we have to pay 2 hazmat fees and 2 shipping fees since it can’t go direct. Ship to Washington freight forwarder then get on a boat to Anchorage each stop requires its own hazmat and shipping fee. 

The only decent way to get powder for a good price up here is to get in or a group buy or an independent retailer/distributor and even then getting anything in a reasonable amount of time is difficult. 

So a little update to my prior posts. The powder works great and continues to be great as far as consistency and cost goes, but holy cow my press is absolutely filled with this powder from leakage through the powder measure. Anyone have tips for sealing up a Lee AutoDrum? This measure was leaps and bounds above the old AutoDisk that I had, but it’s no match for this small of a powder with my current settings. 

Any word on metering in a hornady or Dillon case activated powder drop? I have a friend up here that complained about there being a lot of powder fling but that could be due the the Dillon shell plate snapping into position 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, Akkid17 said:

If you want me to bring a pound the next trip I make down let me know.  I may be at the 3 gun match on the 8th.

4 minutes ago, AKJD said:

If you want me to bring a pound the next trip I make down let me know.  I may be at the 3 gun match on the 8th.

Thanks, another shooter down here runs back and forth too and picked up a pound to try out, I just haven’t been home to actually do the testing yet.

have you happened to try any of the shooters world powders in your open gun?

I picked up a pound of major pistol to try.  Will try after I get back from Area 4.  49th Cartridge said he can get 8 pound kegs so I'm really hoping it works.  Getting a Sig x5, should be here tomorrow so after my stash of n320 is gone I'll be looking for a new minor powder also.

A lot of people I know have switched from N320 to Lovex D032 (Clean shot) because of availability and price.

You get slightly more velocity out of the same charge compared to N320 and it meters great because it is a fine ball powder. If you use a plastic Lee measure you may experience leaking.

I have used it with the Dillon 650 and the LnL AP and both measure do very well with this powder without spillage. I am only  loading 3.2 grains in a 9mm so I cannot say anything about spilling with indexing. (powder fling)

On 8/29/2018 at 12:18 PM, Wvaughn7 said:

So a little update to my prior posts. The powder works great and continues to be great as far as consistency and cost goes, but holy cow my press is absolutely filled with this powder from leakage through the powder measure. Anyone have tips for sealing up a Lee AutoDrum? This measure was leaps and bounds above the old AutoDisk that I had, but it’s no match for this small of a powder with my current settings. 

Get some lappinng compound and put t in the cone and cup area and work the action by hand a hundred times. If that makes sense? That’s what helped mine

39 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

Get some lappinng compound and put t in the cone and cup area and work the action by hand a hundred times. If that makes sense? That’s what helped mine

Thanks, I’ll have to try that to see if it will help out. For now I have a small plastic cup with a hole mounted between the die and the measure catching the spilled powder. 

I personally know the owners of shooters world.
Great people!!
For 9 and .40 clean shot is all I have used since 2015 or so when I found it locally.

But shooters world’s powder mags and primary offices are close by...

I think I have 20-30 lbs on the shelf..

• 1 month later...

I bought a pound because of the consist small ball size versus the random flake size of Titegroup. I loaded 30 test rounds last night: 9mm, 124 Grain Bayou TCG, 1.075 nominal OAL for a CZ SP-01.  I loaded 10 rounds each at 3.0 grains, 3.3 grains and 3.6 grains with Clean Shot/D032. I may not be able to Chrono them until the first weekend in November, but will let you know how they do. In the meantime, what do you think about the three loads I am going to test in this pistol?  TIA

Postscript - I am new to reloading, but I based the above test loads on what pages 8 and 9 of the 2013 Lovex Reloading Guide state. Being conservative, I also went with low test grain weights of Clean Shot /D032 to start.  For reference, I am currently running 3.6-3.7 grains of Titegroup loaded to the same specs listed above for my SP-01. 

Edited by DCSigCZ
Added postscript.

• 2 months later...

Sig 320 X-5

BALLISTIC PRECISION CHRONOGRAPH G2

Dillon 650

Winchester once fired brass.

Created: 27/12/18 12:35
Description: ACME 9mm 135
Notes 1: Clean Shot 3.5 grains
Notes 2: OAL 1.115. bullet .356
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 135.00
Temp: -3 °F
BP: 29.77 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS   FT-LBS       PF
10    975      285.01   131.62  
9     970      282.09   130.95  
8     980      287.94   132.30  
7     986      291.48   133.11  
6     977      286.18   131.90  
5     983      289.71   132.71  
4     981      288.53   132.43  
3     978      286.77   132.03  
2     982      289.12   132.57  
1     986      291.48   133.11  
Average: 979.8 FPS
SD: 5.0 FPS
Min: 970 FPS
Max: 986 FPS
Spread: 16 FPS
Shot/sec: 1.1
True MV: inf FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00

Ammo was kept warm prior to firing so temperature was not a factor.

• 1 month later...

Hello: Testing some Clean Shot today with some Acme 147 FP. 3.1 grains CS, 1.140'' OAL, Federal small pistol primers, mixed brass out of a Glock 17 KKM barrel gives me 130-132PF. I will check accuracy later this week. So far it seems pretty good and softer than my Tite Group loads. Thanks, Eric