Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio witness limited elite vs CZ TSO

skyjumper

I bet most of the guys in this forum happen to prefer the CZ.

FYI the Tanfo Limited Custom is a new gun for 2018 and has that funky blue-green finish that’s either a love it or hate it proposition. They don’t show up with a hardchromed stainless look anymore.

57 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I bet most of the guys in this forum happen to prefer the CZ.

FYI the Tanfo Limited Custom is a new gun for 2018 and has that funky blue-green finish that’s either a love it or hate it proposition. They don’t show up with a hardchromed stainless look anymore.

I handled one two months ago, the pistol was OK despite the terrible finish you mentioned. The trigger was still heavy even with a trigger job. No experience beyond that. 

TSO/TS is the better gun with an out of the box trigger that is ready to run.  Sub 2lb trigger.  Checkering on the TS model could use some improvement but is serviceable.

Tango will need either a few springs and some polishing or BOLO/Titan Hammer.  Finish in SS is better on the Tanfo and Henning makes some really nice grips but well over $100.

51 minutes ago, 858 said:

I handled one two months ago, the pistol was OK despite the terrible finish you mentioned. The trigger was still heavy even with a trigger job. No experience beyond that. 

CZ has the edge in trigger, out of the box no doubt. The Tanfo is easy to fix but that needs to be done.

If a lightened slide is a priority? Tanfo has the edge. I don’t know what the magwell options are for the TSO, but the Henning (replaces the tolerable factory one) for the Tanfo is downright stellar.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

CZ has the edge in trigger, out of the box no doubt. The Tanfo is easy to fix but that needs to be done.

If a lightened slide is a priority? Tanfo has the edge. I don’t know what the magwell options are for the TSO, but the Henning (replaces the tolerable factory one) for the Tanfo is downright stellar.

I actually handled the gun in the picture you posted. I'm used the TSO and the grip contour has always felt perfect to me. The Tanfo feels kind of blocky. That feeling would probably go away in an afternoon of shooting though. The Henning magwell is probably better than the TSO/CM magwell. There are a few on the market but none that keep the factory grip panel length. 

I've got a Tanfoglio 2018 Limited Custom. If I had to do it over again, I think I would get the TSO. The Limited Custom out of the box had a gritty 5lb trigger. Took 6hrs worth of slicking up and a couple upgrade parts to bring to my liking.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

For me personally the Tanfo Magwell (either the new Xtreme, or Henning) is far better than the TS magwell options.  The Tanfo Magwell locks in the support hand much more so than the TS.

The TS magwell is there simply to facilitate mag changes, while the Tanfo has a bell shape that improves grip and helps with mag changes. 

The Tanfo magwells are much more expensive than the TS ones though. (or they were when I got my TS magwell)

Edited by billthemarine2862

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, Trinimon said:

I've got a Tanfoglio 2018 Limited Custom. If I had to do it over again, I think I would get the TSO. The Limited Custom out of the box had a gritty 5lb trigger. Took 6hrs worth of slicking up and a couple upgrade parts to bring to my liking.

Any idea what the trigger weight is now?  Little disappointed that the trigger is that heavy from the factory. 

3 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Any idea what the trigger weight is now?  Little disappointed that the trigger is that heavy from the factory. 

With a bit of care 2 lbs is achievable. I like the trigger of the limited custom!

4 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

With a PD 14lb mainspring, reduced power sear and trigger return spring and Titan hammer and with lotsa polishing, I'm sitting at 1lb 13oz. 

I had a slightly lighter trigger pull with the Xtreme light mainspring, about 1lb 10oz(?) but I had a 3 light primer strikes out of 100rnds and didn't want to risk that during a match. Though the hammer impact mark didn't look too light. Not sure if it was a batch of cold primers or not seating them properly. This batch of brass I got lazy and wet tumbled with spent primers in them but I didn't reload them for at least 2-3wks so they were dry pockets when they were loaded.

Edited by Trinimon

On 7/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, 858 said:

I actually handled the gun in the picture you posted. I'm used the TSO and the grip contour has always felt perfect to me. The Tanfo feels kind of blocky.

That would be 100% of the decision for me, how the gun matched what my particular hand size wants. 

I'd also include the TS in the mix, for the same reason.

If a CZ worked best I would buy a CZ specific sight pusher from CZ custom for the TSO or maybe just a complete new rear for the TS, and do something about the magwell, if Tanfo worked I would fiddle with the trigger. 2011's are easier to reload than TSO's , which can likely be fixed with practice & knocking off (blending) the edge between frame and magwell (dremel) & probably a bigger blended magwell, not sure about limited elite. 

My stock TSO magwell left a huge ledge all the way around. Had to cut that down and polish. Also, the stock mw never lined up quite right, so I snagged a new one from Armory Craft. It lines up better but is same shape.

My stock Tanfo Limited magwell lined up perfect and required no work and is way better. Would like to get a Henning, but this is better than the TSO I am used to for sure.

IDK, maybe I got a good one? It's the only Tanfo I have owned.

I fitted (edit: with a lot of help!!) a raw EGW hammer and sear and now the Tanfo is on par, but it was a LOT of work! MY Tanfo came with a FPB (not sure if elite does) so had to ditch that.

All in all after the work I like the Tanfo very much. It shoots great. And with the flatter trigger guard I can get a better higher grip than the CZ. But the TSO was great right out of the box. Just my personal opinions.

Edited by NoKimberDave

I do think the TSO is far better out of the box than the Tanfo.  I also think the TSO doesn't need many upgrades (10x bushing and blended magwell being the most important in my opinion).  The Tanfo will take more work to get to the same level as the TSO.  With either one you are going to have to spend another 200 + to have enough extended mags,

plus a holster and all.  

Fully upgraded they are pretty equal so it all comes down to feel.  I prefer the feel of my Tanfo's over my CZ's so I run a Tanfo.

You all are not making this decision for me easy. I was sold on one, then someone makes good point about the other. My problem is that I have yet to find anyone around here who owns a Tanfoglio so I can play with it. Overall it comes down to personal preference and what you like. They both seem equally the same. Now I just need to find one to play with.

I own both. Prefer the feel and quality of the CZ TSO, but the Tanfo is so stupid easy to work on that if I were to shoot 25k+ rounds a year I'd probably go with the Tanfo. If you shoot a lot you will be working on the gun.

• 2 weeks later...