Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC/Rifle Reload Times: Glock Mags vs. 223 Mags

Which is faster to reload for you? A PCC that takes Glock mags. Or, a regular AR-15 with 223 mags like the popular Pmags? 

Reason for this question is I'm considering one of two options for a PCC:
- Purchase dedicated PCC that takes Glock mags
- Place my Colt 9mm AR-15 top end over a regular 223 lower, and use the Mean Arms EndoMag 9mm conversion. 

The second option is cheaper. I don't have a dedicated Glock mag PCC so I figure I would ask around. Thanks in advance for your comments. 

Glock mags are faster for me to load.  They are just easier to grab, index and load, but I also carry them differently on my belt.  My PCC mags are setup like a pistol.  one mag in front of my belly and one at 9 o'clock.  AR mags I carry for 3gun are behind my hip.

We don't do many reloads in PCC so I wouldn't make reload times your primary decision factor.

However, since the EndoMag maxes out at 30 rounds, that will cause you to do a reload on a 32 round stage versus other shooters running Glock/Colt mags with a magblock or dedicated lower who won't need to reload.

You have options ... for roughly $200 you can buy 4 EndoMags, or a dedicated Glock or Colt style AR9 lower, or a magblock to use with your current 223 lower.

If the EndoMag works well, maybe we can convince them to make it for 40 round PMAGS.

Hands down the Glock mag lower reloads much faster than the .223 lower for the reasons mentioned. I can’t stress enough how much easier the beer can grip reload is due to the in inherent blind accuracy over the .223 mag grip. I always tilt to the side and check while loading .223, but I stay shouldered upright with the Glock lower and just drop then pop a fresh mag without looking at the magwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already am set up with a colt lower from QC10 that has worked very well.  I have 10 mags, and two of them have TF +10 basepads.  I haven't spent the money on a mag splice yet.  I think the MEAN arms conversion is very interesting, especially with having a standard AR lower with a tax stamp.  Based on the commercial success I could see them making conversions for the 40 round pmags in the future which would make it more viable for PCC.

local wed night outlaw/uspsa match requires two mandatory reloads in each stage to level the playing field.   you learn to use the 17 round mags and reload quick, I like it, and don't have to listen to the pistol guys whine that we got an advantage :)

With the Bmiller magwell, 33 rounders are easier to reload because the 17 rounder barely stick out the bottom.  I'm not sure what the beer can method is but...I index the mag like a pistol mag and slam it home.

Edited by stick
18 hours ago, stick said:

I'm not sure what the beer can method is 

Grip the magazine like you would grip a hammer, or a beer can. So it’s at a right angle to your forearm and wrist, instead of parallel with the basepad resting in the palm like a pistol.

Works very well from a center-of-body magazine pouch worn right up front.

Damn, at first I thought someone shot an illegal, non sanctioned video of me doing what I do best ! But.............................

Then I realized how slow this dude was and took a second look. Not me !

Lighten up, that was a joke.( and a funny one if I do say so myself, and I do)

In all seriousness, a few posts above hit it, PRACTICE !

It really doesn't matter where you position the mag or how you grab it, just do it the SAME EVERY time and practice that.

One take away from the video...........................................................

At least on a static reload, and in PCC there should be no other, KEEP THE GUN ON YOUR SHOULDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Mr. Max in the video, he never takes the stock off of his shoulder. Not like USPSA hand gunning where you bring the gun down and cant the mag well toward your weak hand. ( the one you grab the mag with)

Keep the stock on your shoulder and look the mag out of your belt and into the mag well !

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Grip the magazine like you would grip a hammer, or a beer can. So it’s at a right angle to your forearm and wrist, instead of parallel with the basepad resting in the palm like a pistol.

OK.  That's how I do it.  I just didn't know it was called the beer can method.

I find the bigger mags harder to reload.  For classifiers I use the 21rd Pmags and they fly in and out of the gun.

I don't run a magwell yet but can put down some really fast reloads.  I keep the gun on shoulder and just slightly cant the gun.

Going to pick up a magwell soon so that might change.

Max is just sick

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I find the bigger mags harder to reload.  For classifiers I use the 21rd Pmags and they fly in and out of the gun.

I don't run a magwell yet but can put down some really fast reloads.  I keep the gun on shoulder and just slightly cant the gun.

Going to pick up a magwell soon so that might change.

I tried it before I installed @bmiller‘s magwell, and the “beercan grip a long mag and STUFF it” technique really does require a magwell.

I fully agree with you.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Comes down to the magwell size for me. I have an AR 9mm that takes glock mags, Sig MPX with flared mag well, and standard AR-15. The MPX is my USPSA PCC gun, I'm typically a second or quicker on the reload. A little slower with the AR 9mm as it doesn't have a flared mag-well, AR-15 reloads are about the same for me. 

10 hours ago, Smithcity said:

Comes down to the magwell size for me. I have an AR 9mm that takes glock mags, Sig MPX with flared mag well, and standard AR-15. The MPX is my USPSA PCC gun, I'm typically a second or quicker on the reload. A little slower with the AR 9mm as it doesn't have a flared mag-well, AR-15 reloads are about the same for me. 

Install an actual aftermarket add-on funnel and you’ll get REALLY agressive with the reload.

My QC10 lower had a really generously flared magwell. Adding Miller’s magwell still made a world of difference. 

Question for you guys shooting Glock mag PCCs like Max ... do your mags reload that easily on a closed bolt?
Mine do, but I only load them with 2-3 more rounds than required for that classifier. A topped off mag takes a bit more to lock in on a closed bolt.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk