Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC carbine

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

Times Change! Scout rifles as intended are not fit for USPSA. Both eyes open is how I have always shot everything anyways. And 1911’s in 45ACP in USPSA are being overtaken by 9’s. Besides there are tons of pistols out there that have left the 1911 behind.

I'm missing your point.

A conventionally stocked rifle with a forward mounted optic( optic mounted ahead of the action) is the definition of a scout rifle, albeit this particular one is chambered in 9mm.

As far as not being fit for USPSA, I would say Mr. Bam's video proves that point is wrong.

I also shoot everything both eyes open, but not everyone can. The forward mounted optic aides in this effort.

As far as 1911's being overtaken in USPSA, outside of production and carry optics I would say the 1911 is quite popular. STI's bottom line would prove this point. So would Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, Springfield Armory and countless others.

You are correct about the .45acp, but there are plenty of people shooting 1911's chambered in .40 to achieve major scoring.

Edited by SJMPCC022
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One way to look at the barrel mounted dot is that it is still closer to the eyes than a carry optics or open gun at arms length.

For me it was to get the dot lower. I have high cheeks and the Ruger stock is pretty low in the comb for me. So with the dot mounted on the receiver, it is too high for me to get a proper cheek weld/sight picture.

With the dot in the barrel, with bmiller’s mount, the dot is about 1/2” lower than on the receiver.

I am a both eyes open shooter and it works well for me with this setup. Every one is different and has to find what works for them.

• 5 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, Davidp1911 said:

Anyone making a better forend grip now?

I found these in Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsBeixhAEpb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
and
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8bYgrgwiw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

or here posted in Rugerforum:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-auto/366015-pc9-hand-guard-option.html#post4239633

im just checking is IG account every now and then for update.

this is the best looking so far
 that is close to AR-style we are very used to, that doesnt require machining or modifying and you wont loose your take down feature. then followed by PMM Ruger PC Carbine MLOK RAIL (http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p395/PMM_Ruger_PC_Carbine_MLOK_RAIL-Pre_Order.html)

Edited by aRjayboy
On 7/12/2018 at 11:40 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

I'm missing your point.

A conventionally stocked rifle with a forward mounted optic( optic mounted ahead of the action) is the definition of a scout rifle, albeit this particular one is chambered in 9mm.

As far as not being fit for USPSA, I would say Mr. Bam's video proves that point is wrong.

I also shoot everything both eyes open, but not everyone can. The forward mounted optic aides in this effort.

As far as 1911's being overtaken in USPSA, outside of production and carry optics I would say the 1911 is quite popular. STI's bottom line would prove this point. So would Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, Springfield Armory and countless others.

You are correct about the .45acp, but there are plenty of people shooting 1911's chambered in .40 to achieve major scoring.

Sorry I missed this earlier. A traditional scout rifle is a bolt action 30 caliber rifle(308) with a forward mounted low power long eye relief SCOPE(not a red dot).

As far as 1911's being overtaken in USPSA, just do a simple count at any match. LOL

There’s no way you will be competitive with the ruger.  The weight the platform  the buffer system , changing hands.  It runs good but would be better off with a lower cost  AR build, start with a good  barrel.   And trigger. Bolt group  you can take those components and up grade to better receivers.  There are guys in our club that shoot them ok in steel Challenge but will never make it in USPSA . 

Personally i would rather shoot a ruger than any 500 dollar AR. The rugers are accurate , simply and for the most part pretty reliable. Yes mine was around 7.5 pounds but the weight is quite a bit further back than most ARs so it balanced well. The biggest issue was the wrist angle meant you had to draw backwards underhand vs having the stock at cheek height and the reloads are a tick slower because you have to slip the button on the way back to the mag. Out of the box they shoot flater and softer than any cheap AR, and it actually took a bit of work to get my splits back to where they where with the ruger when i moved to an AR platform.

Edited by JsK
4 hours ago, JsK said:

Personally i would rather shoot a ruger than any 500 dollar AR. The rugers are accurate , simply and for the most part pretty reliable. Yes mine was around 7.5 pounds but the weight is quite a bit further back than most ARs so it balanced well. The biggest issue was the wrist angle meant you had to draw backwards underhand vs having the stock at cheek height and the reloads are a tick slower because you have to slip the button on the way back to the mag. Out of the box they shoot flater and softer than any cheap AR, and it actually took a bit of work to get my splits back to where they where with the ruger when i moved to an AR platform.

If/when I take mine and run it at a match, I know I will get a crap-ton of comments about why I should have bought an AR platform, then I'd hear the litany of triggers/handguards/buffer/spring blah, blah, blah.  I wanted a PCC that was like my Glock.  Runs out of the box acceptably, I can tweak it as I see fit and just have fun with it.  Will I take HOA or win in PCC, hell no, but I also shoot to have fun.

No one ever had that attitude with me. Most where very curious about it from the "it would be perfect for my wife, daughter , girlfriend, kid, new shooter ect" the idea of a sub 500 dollar gun that runs and shoots well is very appealing to alot of shooters. Maybe not for themselves but for a number of different reasons.

We have at least 3 ruger. PCC  at our club , no one hassles them at all. They all run good no problems . None of them are able to overcome the disadvantages of the platform, and really be competitive. If your looking for a low cost  gun. To compete with it’s great, I just don’t know many shooters who don’t want to improve and it’s difficult to do with the Ruger  . 

Can you explain in depth what about the components you mention are so much worse compared to say a JP GMR-15, MBX PCC, or roll your own? Just curious since I'm so new to PCC, I don't know what those things in abbreviated terminology are holding it back so much that can never be fixed. For the couple shoots I have done, it seems great but my pool of PCCs is two, the PC9 and a Scorpion Carbine. My reason for asking is I plan to tinker with an AR9, a couple in fact for the fun of it. For budget reasons I was going to play with a Foxtrot Mike FM-9 first then later maybe the GMR15.

Edited by ABQautoxer
3 hours ago, TNREDNECK said:

We have at least 3 ruger. PCC  at our club , no one hassles them at all. They all run good no problems . None of them are able to overcome the disadvantages of the platform, and really be competitive. If your looking for a low cost  gun. To compete with it’s great, I just don’t know many shooters who don’t want to improve and it’s difficult to do with the Ruger  . 

I have shot mine in alot of matches and i just dont get what these "disadvantages" to this platform are? Sure its a steak and baked potato over weight but thats not really an issue due to the balance point. The only real problem is the mag release and i think you could easily make M before it would affect your classifier.

That’s the point the Ruger. Is priced right but will never compete with the AR platform , if all you want to do is shoot it will be fine, or if you want to have inexpensive gun. For some one to start with it will be fine if you want to be competitive it won’t . When you first start shooting the weight of the  gun doesn’t mean as much ,then you plato, and look for things to make you faster , IE weight ,better trigger, better optic

Well my JP GMR-13 actually weighed more than the Ruger.

I have two 9mm AR style race race rigs that are in the sub 6 lbs range...Taccom uppers, etc. 

I am no faster with them over the Ruger. Granted I am only a A rated PCC shooter,  but for me these “big” disadvantages folks bring up are just not there for me. 

I guess if you are a supper high speed low drag M/GM shooter maybe you would be faster with a AR platform. But I still say that same M/GM shooter would be just as fast with the Ruger.

There are plenty of GM’s who shoot Glock’s, CZ’s, etc., and Folks dog on them because you know...they would be so much faster with a 2011 style pistol

Anyways.....I shoot to have fun and at 50 my glory days are behind me. The works well for me. No better no worse then my AR’s.

yes.....are you?
lol, I do okay.

I didn't realize this was somehow personal for you.

I didn't see any Rugers at Nationals a few months ago, nor at any of the level 2 matches I shot last year, hence my question.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk