Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC carbine

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one for steel challenge and I am going to try to shoot my first uspsa match with this weekend (hope to) . I have about 350 rounds thru it now with zero problems. Mounted a Burris fast fire 3 on it . I shoot ruger 10/22 in steel Challenge so it feels good to me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the value you get from the Ruger, I think it sounds right for you.  

It's exactly like a big 10/22 if he is already familiar with that. 

You can limit the upfront costs and make him a deal and buy some TACCOM upgrades when he makes D/C/B class, etc. Any cheaper rifle red dot with a low mount is good.

A local guy has been running one for a few months now and it’s been solid for him. I shoot with him every other week and have yet to see him have a issue with it. After watching him with it I am on a waiting list for one to come into our local shop for my son to get started with.

Yes,this rifle did just release on Dec. 2017. I'm sure there will be a ton of aftermarket parts come out this year. I really like that this rifle takes Glock mags, mbx already is making mag extension's for Glock mags used for PCC.

I’m in CA and the latest “assault weapons” ban went into effect the first of the month. So I have switched from the AR platform to the Ruger as it does not meet California’s definition of something assaulty.

It has taken me a bit to get use to, but I am able to run it pretty close to the speeds of my AR’s.

Add a Volquartsen or Kidd trigger and the Taccom go fast parts and your son will be good to go.

Taccom parts: https://taccom3g.com/product-category/9mm-pcc-components-and-accessories/ruger-pccarbine/

Here is mine in action....and remember I am a pushing 50 guy who moves slow. Your son should be much faster with some range time.

3 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

I’m in CA and the latest “assault weapons” ban went into effect the first of the month. So I have switched from the AR platform to the Ruger as it does not meet California’s definition of something assaulty.

It has taken me a bit to get use to, but I am able to run it pretty close to the speeds of my AR’s.

Add a Volquartsen or Kidd trigger and the Taccom go fast parts and your son will be good to go.

Taccom parts: https://taccom3g.com/product-category/9mm-pcc-components-and-accessories/ruger-pccarbine/

Here is mine in action....and remember I am a pushing 50 guy who moves slow. Your son should be much faster with some range time.

Nice video,thanks. 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

BBBoo, what do you see as the big disadvantage of the Ruger ?

I haven't handled one yet myself,but the only disadvantage to the Ruger I can see is that it needs a magwell. Not that you'll be reloading much,just more for classifiers with mandatory reloads. 

I have one with all the Taccom stuff on it.  Everything is well made and it runs great.  Only issue that I would change is the mag release.  I'm working to train my support hand to come back and hit the oversize button then go to the belt for a new mag.  I currently have the mag release on the right side of the gun and I kind of cup my hand around the magwell to hit the button with my index finger.  The Taccom lever has too much flex in it.

I have one with all the Taccom stuff on it.  Everything is well made and it runs great.  Only issue that I would change is the mag release.  I'm working to train my support hand to come back and hit the oversize button then go to the belt for a new mag.  I currently have the mag release on the right side of the gun and I kind of cup my hand around the magwell to hit the button with my index finger.  The Taccom lever has too much flex in it.

I have been working on reloads with my pcc,, weak hand side,, really the mag well is much bigger than my Glock !!! But I still miss it [emoji15]

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

BBBoo, what do you see as the big disadvantage of the Ruger ?

Trigger is one. I have a Volquartsen trigger in mine, but it is still far from a good AR trigger. 

Learning to use my left hand hand to hit the mag release as I am reaching for a new mag from my belt....but this is getting easier for me with each match.

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

B.B. boo you kill those Texas stars!!! Nice shooting

Thank you. Lots of practice helps.

1 hour ago, koteris said:

Thank you for posting the video.  Nice shooting!   I have one of these, but have not taken to a match yet.  

Do you like having the dot forward on the barrel instead of back on the receiver?

With the dot on the barrel I get a better cheek weld/sight picture. Facial structure will dictate if this is a issue for you or not. With the dot on the receiver it was too high for me even with the cheek riser I have on it.

Again, this will come down to personal preference.

Edited by BigBamBoo

Prior to moving it to the rear sight location, I was wondering if the dot was going to be too far away or obstruct my field of view.

The answer is no. Think about folks running carry optics or open guns. The dot is at arms length with those rigs. So not an issue.

The only thing I worry/think about with it on the barrel is heat. So far so good the Votex Razor I run has not shut down to overheating.

And it gets HOT here....average summer day is 100+. And after a 30 round stage run, the barrel and sight are pretty toasty.

Edited by BigBamBoo
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, koteris said:
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, koteris said:

Do you like having the dot forward on the barrel instead of back on the receiver?

You watched him shoot, what do you think ???????????????????????????

All smart assidness aside, ( I just invented a new word) research Col. Jeff Cooper( the Godfather of practical shooting) and his concept of the scout rifle. It is very similar to what Big Bam is shooting.

The concept of the forward mounted, long eye relief scope allows for heads up, two eyed shooting for defense and survival!

Not to mention the conventional rifle stock. The good Col. never had much use for an M16, an AR15, or anything else that wasn't chambered in .308 and was stocked in walnut.

And............................ Any handgun was good as long as it was a 1911 chambered in .45ACP !

You gotta love Col. Cooper.

Edited by SJMPCC022
missing content
9 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

You watched him shoot, what do you think ???????????????????????????

All smart assidness aside, ( I just invented a new word) research Col. Jeff Cooper( the Godfather of practical shooting) and his concept of the scout rifle. It is very similar to what Big Bam is shooting.

The concept of the forward mounted, long eye relief scope allows for heads up, two eyed shooting for defense and survival!

Not to mention the conventional rifle stock. The good Col. never had much use for an M16, an AR15, or anything else that wasn't chambered in .308 and was stocked in walnut.

And............................ Any handgun was good as long as it was a 1911 chambered in .45ACP !

You gotta love Col. Cooper.

Times Change! Scout rifles as intended are not fit for USPSA. Both eyes open is how I have always shot everything anyways. And 1911’s in 45ACP in USPSA are being overtaken by 9’s. Besides there are tons of pistols out there that have left the 1911 behind.