Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Aluminum grip

SWprotected

After doing some searching I found a few threads where people had put the Aluminum grips on there guns, Just wondering how they have held up. I am thinking about putting them on my open guns but worry about them cracking. I have the PT aggressive steel on my Limited guns and like them I just don't want to add that much weight to my open guns.

Matt Cheely now warranties his aluminum grips for Open gun use. Cheely Custom Gunworks.

There is at least one of his grips on an Open gun with 30k rounds on it with no problems

They aren't recommended for Open guns.  There are some out there with many, MANY thousands of rounds on them, but still not recommended.  Open guns are simply very violent compared to a Limited gun.

23 hours ago, dkamps said:

Sub'd. Interested in this as well. I'd like an aluminum grip for a carry 2011.

Atlas is doing an aluminum grip on a carry 2011, you might want to give them a look. Not sure if any are up on their website, but they show off a bunch on FB and Instagram. 

2 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

Atlas is doing an aluminum grip on a carry 2011, you might want to give them a look. Not sure if any are up on their website, but they show off a bunch on FB and Instagram. 

Yeah I saw some on there IG! Gorgeous. They are building my Nemesis now and who id be looking at to build a 4in gun... might have to give them a call soon.

Bye bye money.

6 hours ago, Janskis said:

Why aluminum and not steel? Steel would make the gun a bit bottom heavy and would reduce muzzle flip (at least so I've heard)

An open gun doesn’t need weight to control muzzle flip. Many prefer light quick transitioning Open guns, hence why many stick with polymer grips or maybe lightweight aluminum. 

On 7/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, dkamps said:

Sub'd. Interested in this as well. I'd like an aluminum grip for a carry 2011.

I'm running one on my CKARMS/FGW 9mm Commander.  If you want the grip safety to function, you have to go with the old style, which I really like anyway.  Matt is building me a 5" version with a bushing barrel to make it IDPA legal.

Sarge, is correct I have tried steel but I prefer a lighter gun. I also like a very aggresive grip and that is why I was considering a PT with aggressive texture.

I really was wanting to know from thise who tried it how they held up.

Edited by SWprotected

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

An open gun doesn’t need weight to control muzzle flip. Many prefer light quick transitioning Open guns, hence why many stick with polymer grips or maybe lightweight aluminum. 

I started with a loaner Trubor and due to the sluggishness I chose the Matchmaster for the quicker transitions.

But now after a few years I'm beginning to lean on a heavier gun, especially now that I'm running major ammo. I'll probs look for a chance to try out a steel grip open, and maybe report back here.

On the PT topic: I tested the PT EVO grip last week and it felt amazing. It was as if it fit my hand perfectly, there's no other way of describing it.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, dkamps said:

Yeah I saw some on there IG! Gorgeous. They are building my Nemesis now and who id be looking at to build a 4in gun... might have to give them a call soon.

Bye bye money.

Congrats! Love my Nemesis and the EVO grip (first one for me). I'm definitely looking hard at their 4" and carry guns. Only thing holding me back is the DVC Carry I won. Haha problems!

pt makes a titanium version of the evo. much better than aluminum in my opinion

A guy I know cracks plastic grips all the time but doesn’t like the weight or a full steel evo. He mentioned to me he was sending his akai back for a titanium grip and that it was expensive. Just not sure if he meant a custom titanium from akai, or a special order from PT. Now I’m guessing he meant PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

pt makes a titanium version of the evo. much better than aluminum in my opinion

Yeah I've heard its pretty pricey, want to say north of $1k? That much machining out of Ti can't be easy.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Gunz720 said:

Sarge do you know how the new CK E2 compares to the PT EVO 

I have both. The PT grip is a bit more aggressive in texture but pretty nice.  The Cheely grip is a bit less aggressive, but to my smaller sized hands feels a bit smaller in size, They both feel good while shooting. The PT EVO came on a new gun but I ordered the E2 from Matt and put it on an open gun with a PY frame. The E2 comes with magwell, mag release, mainspring housing and grip safety that does not require pinning.  I like them both, but I am a mediocre shooter and am not running at top speed.