Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely E2 vs PT Evo

niroth81

I clicked on the thread to see if there was any new info, because I'm thinking of getting a steel grip, only to find someone trying to boost their post count to get to use the classified. Waste of time. Seems it'd be easier to have a thread somewhere where these guys can go and reply to each other with "." until they get to 50. The forum seems overrun with these guys recently, & I applaud efforts to weed them out. I apologize for the rant. And continue with the conversation about grips. 

I like the the look of the Cheely, but I run all Dawson base pads. Has anyone tried modifying the magwell to be able to use Dawson's? From pics, the magwell appears to have an Ice- like insert. 

I'm apart of several forums and in every single one of them people make statements like that, including this one with high post count members.

It is an incert.  I initially wasn't sure about it, but I think it's easier on my dry fire mags for sure.  All that to say I'm no longer missing my dawson.

6 hours ago, OPENB said:

I like the the look of the Cheely, but I run all Dawson base pads. Has anyone tried modifying the magwell to be able to use Dawson's? From pics, the magwell appears to have an Ice- like insert. 

If you don’t care about how it looks, there’s more than enough material on the Dawson base pads to remove the upper front corners and not loose functionality. 

For me, part of it came down to which one I could get. I had a plastic grip that had been well stippled, but it seemed like it was just poking me in the hand mostly. I came from using stair tape on my guns and it felt weird; but effective. So when I first started looking to buy I could get neither, so I keep reading. Good choice. It seemed mostly that the Evo was more grippy with the micro pockets, but it was a "pointy" gripping grip. The Cheely was shaped different and was grippy in a different way. Not very definitive I know, but that was my thought. Also if Im correct, the Evo needs to have a mag release and a magwell added to the cost, the Cheely comes with it. For the same price or close to it.

Long story shorter, the Cheely came in stock and I bought a stainless steel one. Im not sure if the Evo have come in stock yet. I haven't looked back. They are both well regarded grips shaped different. I dont know anyone with an Evo ,or a Cheely for that matter. Or an Akai, who goes about it different. 

Im glad I bought a Cheely, my gun balances better and I like the way it feels in my hand. I can move my hand to release the mag and reacquire my grip okay and if it was any more grippy my short fingers would be stuck clawing their way to the mag release.

As to fit mine went on my STI with no fitting except for where the grip screws go in. it needed alittle fitting there, about five minutes worth, and I was good to go.  YMMV

Can anyone comment on size of the grip? I have an SVI Signature grip on my current gun and it fits great. I was going to give my girlfriend my backup gun (box stock STI Eagle) but she prefers my gun due to the grip's size and weight. I've held a PT EVO and it felt bigger than the SVI. I'm hoping the E2 is close in size so I dont need to drop $900 on another SVI grip. 

A buddy with the SV Sig. let me handle his gun last week, and the SV is noticibly smaller in the hand than the EVO. It appears the SV is the smallest, then CK, then EVO. Not sure where Limcat falls in there. SV sure is proud of them though.

9 hours ago, ZeljkoLucic said:

I have all (brand)steel grip available on market in my possession. 

SV is definitely #1

but for sure  Cheely is beter then EVO 

What makes one better than the other.  I don't know if anyone that has all three so your input would be valuable 

11 minutes ago, chenault said:

What makes one better than the other.  I don't know if anyone that has all three so your input would be valuable ...

... particularly what you think puts Evo at the bottom of the list,  considering how many of them there are out there (some of us have shot all three, so be specific) ... 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, EddieCrispo said:

They feel very similar to me. The e2 feels slightly thinner but the pt is super aggressive and fits my hand perfectly. Also the xline vario trigger in the pt evo is very nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was not aware the X Line came in the EVO?  I have an X Line in my E2 but that was something I added.

I was not aware the X Line came in the EVO?  I have an X Line in my E2 but that was something I added.
Yes sir. I found out from a video posted by Adam from Atlas. On the trigger itself. I rather like the trigger and the texture of the short curved. I was using the shirt curved sv but it didnt have texture and want ad adjustable.

You mean Atlas installs the X Line in the pistols they build using the PT Evo.

But if you order the PT EVO apart from a custom build, it does not come with the X Line as part of the package from PT.
Yes sir that is correct. My buddy has purchased several pistols from Adam at atlas and they all have come with the xline trigger. I purchased my pt evo and it was just the grip itself. I just went to the Atlas website and ordered the xline by itself and installed myself.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:17 AM, OPENB said:

A buddy with the SV Sig. let me handle his gun last week, and the SV is noticibly smaller in the hand than the EVO. It appears the SV is the smallest, then CK, then EVO. Not sure where Limcat falls in there. SV sure is proud of them though.

SV smaller?  That is not my impression, unless someone does measurements.  I have pretty large hands, and just love the fit of SVI grips.  I was one of the early adapters,  and fell in love with them right away. 

I have handled many open guns, and each one took some getting used to it, so don't let the first impression fool you, give it some time.

As far as the weight goes - I do love the heavy stainless feel.

Ive had an SV and an Evo, haven't held or owned an E2 grip though. The SV was certainly thinner than the Evo. But i liked the feel better of the SV and the real benefit I thought was the shape of the mag release. I wish others had the ambi cut mag buttons because I don't like huge mag buttons and the elongated shape of an ambi mag button allows me to not really need a long or bulky mag button.

I have used the SV grip and the EVO.  I have fondled the Cheely extensively.  
SV:
feels smaller to me. 
Two piece grip which breaks frequently.  ( I broke 2 and know of many more)
"Feels" the best int he hand for me. 
Hate the teardrop mag catch.  Would frequently drop a mag when shooting WHO
I stuck more mags on reloads with the SV because of the unique angle
Proprietary mag well and mag catch
Very difficult to fit to a non sv gun

Evo:
Much stronger than SV ( last I talked to PT they have never had a SS grip break)
If you want to use the included grip safety it requires extensive blending.  Not a big deal on new guns but on a retrofit will require a refinish
Most aggressive grip by far
Dropped right on my PT frames, L10 frames and newer STI frames
Lots of fitting on older STI frame
can use any mag catch or magwell

Cheely:
Only have held the cheely so no real world experience.
Feels a little smaller than PT but bigger than the SV
One piece so should be strong
Didn't care for the grip texture
Proprietary parts

IMO the PT is still the best overall grip by a pretty substantial margin. 
I think the Cheely will come in second based on initial impressions 
The weird angle and the breakage prone SV is a far distant third to me.  

I think saying one is better than the other is kind of like the Ford vs Chevy battle.  Both are nice, I have one and have extensively handled both, but preferences could go either way.  In the end the consumer is the winner with more options.  Competition will make better products at lower prices.  Look at the ar market 15 years ago compared to now as an example.