Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely E2 vs PT Evo

niroth81

I just fit my E2 last night and will get it out to be finished tomorrow.  I've never held an EVO, so I'm not going to talk about something I have no knowledge of.  That said, I wouldn't describe the E2 as "not grippy at all"...I had seen some people describe it as a sort of "medium" texture and was actually surprised at how grippy it is compared to my expectations based on other people's descriptions.  That's not intended as an insult Maximis228, just my personal opinion.

Haven't shot it yet since I just got it fitted/blended last night, but the E2 seems very comfortable and (IMHO) plenty grippy.

Edited by fbzero

7 minutes ago, fbzero said:

I just fit my E2 last night and will get it out to be finished tomorrow.  I've never held an EVO, so I'm not going to talk about something I have no knowledge of.  That said, I wouldn't describe the E2 as "not grippy at all"...I had seen some people describe it as a sort of "medium" texture and was actually surprised at how grippy it is compared to my expectations based on other people's descriptions.  That's not intended as an insult Maximis228, just my personal opinion.

Haven't shot it yet since I just got it fitted/blended last night, but the E2 seems very comfortable and (IMHO) plenty grippy.

Not at all. I have held the PT in the raw and Cerakoted, a E2, and a SVI aggressive back to back to back to back. The E2 was by far the least grippy. I personally would say about half as grippy as any other offering I tried at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Not at all. I have held the PT in the raw and Cerakoted, a E2, and a SVI aggressive back to back to back to back. The E2 was by far the least grippy. I personally would say about half as grippy as any other offering I tried at the moment.

How do you think it would compare to a polymer grip with silicon carbide? "Grippyness" is so subjective. I don't have any issues with my silicon carbide coated polymer grip, I'm just trying to get something with a different t shape to be able to reach the mag release without flipping, and yes I have a button. 

Your largest gain will be the weight over the plastic grip. SC can be made light, medium, or heavy in the grippyness department. I would say my most aggressive SC grip jobs are comparable to a SV Aggressive grip and PT Evo in the raw.

2 minutes ago, niroth81 said:

fbzero, how much fitting was required, and was it just on the top of the grip where it meets the frame?

My frame is CK Arms, so I cannot say whether my experience will apply to people with frames from other manufacturers.  All of the fitting I had to do on the grip itself was on the block that fits up into the frame.  They had to be filed down slightly, and then the front and top edge of the blocks were filed slightly to get the grip bushings to line up properly with the holes on the grip.  Where the top of the grip meets the frame on the back where your hand would go was already lined up very well and I did not do any blending there as a result.

The most involved and time consuming part of what I had to do was blending the beaver tail to the frame.  Since it came with the grip, it was already blended to the grip very well, but not so much on the frame.  Pretty much all of the edges extended past the frame on the top and bottom of it and needed to be blended.  This, of course, is probably by design so that you can be sure to get a good end product without modifications to the frame.  If the opposite were true, you'd have to file on your frame to get a good blend.  Hope that helps!

I don't think the grip is any different than the original CK grip as far as grippyness, the profile is just better.  

For me its perfect and certainly has enough grip that it made the tips of my fingers raw when I first started using it.  

25 minutes ago, chenault said:

I don't think the grip is any different than the original CK grip as far as grippyness, the profile is just better.  

For me its perfect and certainly has enough grip that it made the tips of my fingers raw when I first started using it.  

The new grip already is or soon will be more grippy than the original. There is some altering of the original Z pattern. Which, by the way was plenty grippy.

Throwing in my 2 cents as I just went through this as well ... 

Fitting: 

I fitted my E2 last night to a STI frame and the grip slid right on. No filing, no forcing .. nice and easy. I also tried it on a CK Arms frame and that would of required me break out the files to get it to go on, but it didn't seem like much would've been needed. I did however have to file a bit in the trigger area (not the bow .. that fit perfectly) to get it to move freely. (I am using a Geppert Vario Convex). As for the blending, well I didn't get to that yet, but it doesn't look like there's much to do

As for fitting the EVO, I can't speak to that, however from what I have been told they generally need some time 1-2 hrs . But that all depends on the frame etc. 

Grip comparison to the EVO 

The E2 is a lot less 'grippy' for sure, but to me more comfortable. I have two buddy's that shoot with the EVO so I was fortunate enough to test them out. They are great, but for me I like a bit less grip, especially if I have to adjust because of a poor hand position draw it's easier for me to adjust. I have large hands and the E2 feels better to me than the EVO. Also the two have completely different textures, so I'm assuming that comes into play on comfort.

Extra commentary

A couple things to note: 

* I use the BCG Cyclone button .. well I used to .. the mag release that comes with the E2 isn't long enough to clear the grip profile enough to drop the mag with the button on. The button hits the grip and stops it just shy. You will either have to modify it, make some sort of spacer or go with another solution. (this is not a big deal to me)

* The E2 uses a proprietary mag well. again not a big deal to me (I looked at it as a bonus that it comes with it and with a mag release for the same price as the EVO with no mag well..not sure if the EVO comes with the mag release.. I don't think it does).

* On the subject of the mag well: if you use 140mm tubes with a Dawson +1 Base pad it will not work! The base pad hits the mag well because of the size of the profile and how long it goes up the tube. Again this was no big deal as I put it on my open gun and I generally use big sticks (170mm) and my 140mm still has the plastic STI basepad  on it and that works fine.  

* Overall both are awesome grips and the quality is right on. As others mentioned above its a personal preference and suggest trying what you can out at the range etc. Given that is not alway possible one thing I'd mention is that I was hesitant to go the CK Arms route because I couldn't test it, but after speaking with Matt Cheely and he telling me that I could return it as long as I didn't mount it or modify it, that right there led me to the purchase and I'm glad I did. Tomorrow night I will put it through it's full paces and really get to see what the experience is going to be. 

One last side note 

I did also try the Limcat steel grip as well. They go about it yet another way: the grip pattern in more like that of 40 LPI checkering. I sent it back only because it didn't fit my hand comfortably and it felt really small. They too are excellent quality and have a return policy like CK Arms. Also the grip contour is more that of a traditional STI grip with a little shaping on the back. 

I hope this helps and good luck! 

Edited by schaet

I had the chance to shoot a friends gun with the E2 grip on it. Its a nice grip, but for those of us who are used to the aggressive PT or SVI grips it may not be enough. I would say if it provides a similar level of grip to the standard texture PT grips.

3 minutes ago, SWprotected said:

I had the chance to shoot a friends gun with the E2 grip on it. Its a nice grip, but for those of us who are used to the aggressive PT or SVI grips it may not be enough. I would say if it provides a similar level of grip to the standard texture PT grips.

Texture aside, how did it compare dimensionally to a PT grip? I can always put Silicon Carbide on there for extra grip if i really need it. Personally grip texture is only useful to a point. Technique and grip pressure are more important than super grippy grips.

Although I haven't had a chance to put a mic on them yet, they both felt the same dimensionally to me. The ergonomics have your hand sitting in and higher the same on both. Both are super comfortable and feel good in your hand.

Another thing to note is if the PT grip is too aggressive you can always take down the profile a bit to 'dull' up the microdots. That plus some cerakote will make less like a cheese grater. One of my buddy's did that and it worked out well for him. Again, it's a matter of personnel preference. Unfortunately when it comes to grips there's a lot less 'science/data/tangible' evidence to say one is better than the other. 

I assume so but can you confirm is you have to use the CK magwell with the Cheely grip?
Yes, that is correct; it is a proprietary magwell/grip.
Dimensionally the big hand version it is just a little smaller than the BCG Big Mouth/Big Hand in length, but the width is just about the same. e039166720a7ba0fce0de82e2643134c.jpg7a81c750403fbea0fba802ae27fb7a0f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I havent handled the new cheely grip but have the old one. I tries one of thise and the evo and chose the evo. It was like velcro to my hand and doesnt move in my grip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had a chance to look at  Matts new grip side by side with the evo.  The evo definitely wins in the grippy department.  Matts grip comes with a double undercut on the trigger guard.  The big thing I noticed was the shape of the front of the grip.  The Evo is more oval or tapered in front then the Cheely.  The Cheely grip seemed to be flatter across the front and have flatter sides.   The shop is building a gun with the Cheely grip when it's done we will be able to shoot the PT and Cheely side by side.

• 2 months later...

Have you had a chance to shoot the two grips side by side?

I had a chance to look at  Matts new grip side by side with the evo.  The evo definitely wins in the grippy department.  Matts grip comes with a double undercut on the trigger guard.  The big thing I noticed was the shape of the front of the grip.  The Evo is more oval or tapered in front then the Cheely.  The Cheely grip seemed to be flatter across the front and have flatter sides.   The shop is building a gun with the Cheely grip when it's done we will be able to shoot the PT and Cheely side by side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Interesting that you say the PT Evo offers more traction than the E2. For various reasons I haven't been able to get hold of an Evo, so I've installed the E2, and it offers a LOT more traction than my previous carbide coated plastic grip; maybe it was just too worn down. I'm still keen to see and shoot an Evo grip, but I am super happy with the E2 grip.