Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 users: is its heavy weight still alright?

balmo

I am thinking of getting a Shadow 2 for Production next season. I just want to see the consensus on its weight. On paper, its significantly heavier than the SP01 and  a tad heavier than a Stock 2. Do you feel its weight is still okay or do you feel like your lugging it around? To put things in perspective, my SP01 feels great, a Stock 2 is perfect, and at times I think about my Tactical Sport's weight (a wee bit heavy). Thank you.

It is the one you want to shoot!  I practice my draw stroke with 5lbs dumbbells at work.  Solid.

All you need to do is change some springs (recoil, trigger, and hammer) and maybe a little polishing.  I've added an aftermarket disconnector, etc, and prefer the stock setup.

Edited by WxGuy

As a generality, a heavy pistol is hard to stop on long transitions that a lighter one.  Weight of a pistol and its affect on transition speed varies person-to-person.  Lighter pistols can be accelerated quicker, stopped quicker.  Heavier pistols have slower acceleration and are harder to stop.  That said upper body and torso strength can overcome a lot of that.  None-the-less, if you can transition a heavy pistol at the same speed as light one, there is more energy that must be dealt with at the end of the transition.  Some people prefer heavier pistols other lighter.  A production GM I know well made GM with an SP01 I believe and commented that when shooter Production with an 85 Combat, he felt/knew his transitions were quicker and sight settled quicker.

Bottom line it is preference.  Proper training and technique should allow you to shoot either a 2 or lighter pistol with almost the same skill level.  I prefer the SP01s weight.  Disappointed that the CZ 85 Combat was discontinued.  Would have added one as Production pistol if I could have found one new.  SP01 is more than good enough to make GM.  

I always question why buy a $1,300 pistol if a $700 one plus a couple of hundred in fine tuning is capable of shooting better than you can and is more than capable to turning in GM times if the shooter is capable to doing it  My opinion is to use the saving for training, practice, and ammo for range time.

I'm neither big nor strong. (Mass or force) The pistol does take more effort than a SP01, plain Newtonian physics. 

I spent days with my accu shadow and my Shadow 2 doing tons of drills and classifiers. Recording every bit of data from the timer and scoring it all in practiscore. With years on the SP01 I came out ahead with the shadow 2, having only days on the shadow 2, by just a tiny bit. 

So go felt the potential was there soon committed to the shadow 2. I still use the same amount of energy as I did before but I just apply it in different areas now.

Edited by rowdyb

It’s a bit heavy but once I got used to it, it was negligible. I actually like the heft because it helps in reducing felt recoil. I really don’t have to  make a lot of adjustment since the other gun I shoot a lot aside from the Shadow 2 is my TSO which is a little bit heavier.

• 3 weeks later...

The S2 works for a lot of people. However I really wish it balanced more like the Stock II or SP-01. I do not like how muzzle heavy the gun is. I would prefer to see a "shadow 3" that has a dust cover like the stock II and the lines cleaned up.

4 hours ago, threat said:

The S2 works for a lot of people. However I really wish it balanced more like the Stock II or SP-01. I do not like how muzzle heavy the gun is. I would prefer to see a "shadow 3" that has a dust cover like the stock II and the lines cleaned up.

And came in 9mm as well as 40Sw! :)

On 7/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, threat said:

Thing would look AND feel soooo good. 

29714673_575489176150607_92630045004136448_n.jpg

Edited by reverse_edge

I've been using Stock 2 and Shadow 2 for some time now so I am used to weight and haven't considered it to be a hindrance. I don't feel that they are too heavy. However, recently I switched to a Glock because I wanted to shoot CO and that's what I have set up for CO. I fairly instantly noted faster draw. My transitions are not necessarily faster but I overswing less. Made me think if these heavier guns do create some issues that are not readily recognized by at least some users.

Idk I saw pictures of it and it looked cool so I ordered a Shadow 2 off GunBroker without ever handling a CZ of any kind, but never had any complaints about the balance...

On 7/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, reverse_edge said:

Thing would look AND feel soooo good. 

29714673_575489176150607_92630045004136448_n.jpg

MY MAN.

We must fund it! Trimmed dustcover, SP01 Grip angle. Make it happen CZ!

On 7/5/2018 at 8:39 PM, YVK said:

I've been using Stock 2 and Shadow 2 for some time now so I am used to weight and haven't considered it to be a hindrance. I don't feel that they are too heavy. However, recently I switched to a Glock because I wanted to shoot CO and that's what I have set up for CO. I fairly instantly noted faster draw. My transitions are not necessarily faster but I overswing less. Made me think if these heavier guns do create some issues that are not readily recognized by at least some users.

hmmm I have been using my S2 in production and recently switched to my M&P 9L for the same reason ..Carry Optics. I found my draw faster but my accuracy was

noticeably worse. I find the heavier weight makes it a bit easier to stay on target for my quick double taps. Even with the Apex flat faced trigger sear set (which allows for very fast

follow ups) . I switched back to my S2 this past Sunday , just shooting drills with silhouettes and I was a little bit slower but many more "Alphas" on my 2nd shots.

At some point I am getting a 2nd S2 and having it milled at CZC so I can stay on the same platform for Production or CO

Also I'm 6 foot 215 and a big weight lifter , so the weight may seem like less of an issue to me than to someone of more "slight" stature