Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Holster

TFT_Guns_Up

So I have a 929 on order, and I’m looking for holsters for it. The revolver will be used for Matches, at my local club, and abroad.

I like the Safariland 002 Competition holster, but not sure if Safariland makes one that fits. Can one be modified?

What other holsters are out there for the 929?

The 929 does fit in the Safariland 002 for N- frames and, works well.  Guga Ribas makes a nice race holster that fits most anything if you want to go with an open style holster, l started with the 002 then went to the GB..

Edited by NoSteel

I went the same way as NoSteel .  The Guba Ribas is a fantastic holster and very secure.  I know this because I fell backwards in my wheelchair and the gun stayed locked in the holster.  It's also very fast to draw from.  

I make a holster adapter for a Hogue Power Speed holster. It is normally an auto holster, the adapter makes it for revos. It works for any S&W revo from 4" to 8-3/8" barrel, adjusts from one to another in seconds. It's very secure and super fast to draw from. I've been using mine for several years in all different kinds of competitions. More info in the Protocall Design vendor tent.

My model 627 fell from my CR speed holster during a USPSA match, so now I'm always worried when using one of the speed holsters when there is movement involved, or when the gun needs to be holstered for long periods of time. I use the double alpha Racemaster for steel, since there is no movement, and I have been using the comp-tac holster for ICORE and USPSA. I typically bag my gun after each stage when shooting steel, however since ICORE and USPSA seem to prefer that the gun be holstered after each stage I use the Comp-Tac. I know and have seen, that many competitors use the Racemaster exclusively, and have no problems with the gun coming loose, even when holstering the gun for entire matches. The Comp-Tac does provide a little extra security, but may be marginally slower on the draw. By the way Comp-Tac makes a version specifically for the 929.

uspsa-revolver-holster.jpg

Edited by cuzinvinny
added info

Same thing I did with my limited gun, Just went with a blade tec DOH,,  I just wasnt losing by a small enough margin to make it worth the added cost and worry of the go fast rigs.
Guess when I start losing stages by a 10th of a second I might reconsider.

I shot with the Hogue guys last weekend and it looks like they make a holster too that works pretty well. Something with magnets. I use the DAA Alpha X but if you live in a dusty/sandy environment, it might not be worth it. Sand gets everywhere and I had to stop at Wal Mart and pick up compressed air to make sure the holster would unlock towards the end of the day. Lots of people were having the same problems. But here in Ohio it's fine.

I use the DA Race Master with the N frame insert for IPSC and speed steel matches.  Have never had a problem feeling the gun was unsecure during movement, although I do leave the lock on if I need to move more than 2 steps. The lock is really quick to flip off during the draw, so it hardly slows me down at all.  The benefit of the Race Master is with this insert, I can run all my N frame revolvers, so I can holster my 610, 625, 929, and 629. 

20 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

I use the DA Race Master with the N frame insert for IPSC and speed steel matches.  Have never had a problem feeling the gun was unsecure during movement, although I do leave the lock on if I need to move more than 2 steps. The lock is really quick to flip off during the draw, so it hardly slows me down at all.  The benefit of the Race Master is with this insert, I can run all my N frame revolvers, so I can holster my 610, 625, 929, and 629. 

Have you used the 629 for USPSA? Seems a little aggressive (in a good way). Please tell me you have used full on magnums. I could see Russians clearing the cylinder, but I tried specials on my first match last year, and they were a little too long for me to get clean ejection. Went out right after and picked up a 625.

24 minutes ago, J_Allen said:

Have you used the 629 for USPSA? Seems a little aggressive (in a good way). Please tell me you have used full on magnums. I could see Russians clearing the cylinder, but I tried specials on my first match last year, and they were a little too long for me to get clean ejection. Went out right after and picked up a 625.

Not yet.  I only got it last year.  It was already cut for moon clips so I may give it a run at a memorial revolver match later this year.  It's just a fun club match.  There was someone shot their 29 with full magnums a couple of years ago.  He was just using speed loaders, so we all helped him pick up his brass after each stage lol

Van: Do you use the bar on the Race Master?  I took it off as it was a pain in the a**.  I do like the holster though I do need to loctite it, just like I just did to the mainspring screw after a botched stage or two... ? Still learning but seeing improvement.

When you say bar, do you mean the accessory barrel support? I have a Race Master and have used it on my 6 inch gun, but find it unnecessary for my 4” 625.

Van, you might have just inspired me to shoot a match with 44 magnum. Maybe a fun match, last one of the year.

10 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Van: Do you use the bar on the Race Master?  I took it off as it was a pain in the a**.  I do like the holster though I do need to loctite it, just like I just did to the mainspring screw after a botched stage or two... ? Still learning but seeing improvement.

I found I didn't need the bar so I never used it.  I started with a 5" 625 in IPSC, and then moved on to the 929.  I've also done a few practices with the 6.5" 610.  They all felt secure enough without using the bar.  

On my CR Speed holster that I use for my Production div gun, I definitely needed to use the bar.  The gun would move around way too much without it.

Van actually brings up a good point that I totally missed in my earlier post - I mentioned that I used the muzzle support for my 6 inch gun, while it was unnecessary for my 4 inch gun. But that was not due to barrel length. I used two different holding blocks, and the 6 inch gun required me to grind off some material to make it fit. I didn’t do the greatest job, and that resulted in a sloppy fit. So how tightly the trigger guard is held in the holster would definitely influence whether a muzzle support would be worthwhile.

I think one other benefit of a muzzle support that hasn’t been mentioned, is to prevent it from being accidentally bumped out from the holster after LAMR (when the holster lock is off). This is typically not a problem with standing draws. However, for a seated start, the process of sitting down may dislodge the firearm if your leg hits the muzzle. A muzzle support would be beneficial in this case. Alternatively, you could leave the locking device on, and the remember to unlock prior to any “unusual” start positions.

I use the DAA Racer. I would not use it with a revo without the muzzle support. The shape of the trigger guard makes it hard to hold on to. I don't like to think about going home early cause my gun fell out setting targets or something!

I even went to the muzzle support with my autos. Cheap insurance and no slower on the draw.

DAA Race master here for ICORE and USPSA. No additional support given the fact that I switch guns with different barrel lengths daily. I've never had an issue without the muzzle support installed. Race Master's also went 1-3 at the World Shoot. 

I have been using a Hogue Powerspeed the last two weeks for my Steel Challenge guns. It is most likely the fastest holster available, with the gun just resting on magnets. 

I'm not the measure of all things Revolver but another that uses the DAA Race Master, also no support. I have found that it's good to snug up the screws from time to time, I spray a bit of silicone in to it once in a while and keep it clean (in the internals). It took a while for it to break in. When it first go it one of the screws fell out (after using it  for a while), another was very lose. Now I keep a set of spare screws  and wrenches in my bag.

I need to loctite my RM holster, but I keep the long Allen keys that came with the holster in my shooting bag.  It works where it is but being new I’m not sure it’s not positioned 100%.

My my wife had doesn’t like hers but just today she cleaned up some unfinished plastic in the insert and it works better but only in her 929. Mine doesn’t fit.

amd while I’m on the subject is it normal my gun makes more of a tinny sound when dry fired than her more solid “click”??