Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DOT on Open Pistol to IRONS on Limited and back and forth. Can it be done effectively?

SeattleDude

I wonder if any of you guys go back and forth between Open Pistol (Dot) and Limited Pistol (Iron Sights) on weekly basis.

Can you do it effectively or it messes you up?

I shoot Tac Ops in 3 Gun ( 2011 9mm Minor Limited Gun) and just recently started shooing Open in USPSA for more FUN factor ( 2011 9mm Major )

What I noticed when I shot USPSA match with Limited gun for first time in couple months.... I was shooting few inches High. =) .... Did shooting with Dot kind of messed me up?

Do you feel like you need few practice sessions between switching guns to get used to it again before shooting a match?

I switched from Open to Limited for 2-3 years    :wacko:

Took me at least an hour of concentrated practice

between sessions.   But, I was a B shooter, Senior.

Talked to a 40 year old M shooter, and he had no

trouble going back and forth.

Probably depends on YOU.    :) 

I think you are right! Some concentrated practice will probably whats needed to be ready to shoot different platform.

Without practice between switching platforms by the end of the match I was ready to roll full speed with irons again..... oh and match was over LOL

As long as the POI and POA is about the same on your iron sighted guns and your open guns it's not hard to transition. I did some steel challenge matches with my Single Stack and Limited setups and did quite well, and I've been shooting open almost exclusively for the past year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think this comes down to experience and mindset.  I’ve seen many occasions when Taran Butler shot his Open gun, bagged it, and immediately shot his Limited out of the same holster and finished 1st and 2nd overall within a few percent of each other.  

Edited by jkrispies

24 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Taran Butler shot his Open gun,  and immediately shot his Limited out of the same holster and finished 1st and 2nd

I shot Open and Limited at the same match.

Didn't come close to 1 or 2 (maybe 12?).

It's doable, but I prefer to shoot one or another, and then

have a practice session with the other gun before I

switch    :) 

I had no problem switching between dot guns and my Limited gun.  Now that I can't see irons well enough, everything I shoot wears a dot.  I have a devil of a time switching between guns with different dot heights.  If I don't dry fire practice when switching guns, I play find the dot a lot.

I made the fiber optic on my iron guns Green.  It subconsciously reminds me not to just look for a red dot, but to also line up the rear sights.  If not, I tend to shoot high with Irons.

I spend an hour or so in dry fire with irons if i'm going to shoot them before the match.  It takes no practice at all to go back to Open/Red Dot for me (Except for a little practice with the wider grip than Single Stack).  Going from Limited to Open is nothing at all.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:14 AM, Trent1k1 said:

I made the fiber optic on my iron guns Green.  It subconsciously reminds me not to just look for a red dot, but to also line up the rear sights.  If not, I tend to shoot high with Irons.

I spend an hour or so in dry fire with irons if i'm going to shoot them before the match.  It takes no practice at all to go back to Open/Red Dot for me (Except for a little practice with the wider grip than Single Stack).  Going from Limited to Open is nothing at all.

this is exactly what happened to me! when I switched from open to limited without practice before the match. I blew first stage completely because I was shooting high. 

Learn to shoot Iron Sights first, get down the basics of calling a shot and what sight picture is acceptable due to target/distance/difficulty.

Then practice with the Dot as that dancing little devil can show you where you might be getting bad habits.

The hardest part for me with a dot is patience and finding that dancing devil for the first shot.  Iron Sights make both of those issues seem trivial, the hardest part is utilizing the acceptable sight picture.  

I feel more comfortable going from optic to iron sight, but that's me and I'm just an average guy.

I went back and forth for a while with my Limited and my CO guns. It gave me some problems though it probably could have been solved with additional dry fire time. Ended up selling the Limited gun to help fund an open platform - now all pistols I compete with have optics.