Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 for Competition Purposes?

ecn515

I have a buddy that just picked up a Springy RO Elite in 9mm, and he loves it. I have not shot it yet, but I trust his judgement. He is going to be shooting it on Saturday in a Steel Match, and I am hoping to get a chance to shoot it after the match ends.

I am sure he has gone through it on his own however and cleaned/polished/tuned, but he did say it was pretty great right out of the box.

For me personally, a 1911 in 9mm has always been blaspheme, so I have never had the desire to buy one. Although that may all change this weekend when I get a chance to shoot my buddy's gun, we will see.

I used an out-of-the-box PM9 for Steel Challenge and did very well with it.  I'm sure it will work well for USPSA too.  The two extra rounds compensate somewhat for the minor scoring.

Local Gun Shop has a "Taylor" 1911 in 9mm, all tricked out with mag well and ambi safety.  Felt real smooth and tight, looked good.  But the thing that caught my eye, and next week probably my wallet, is the price $589.  For a 1911 that's cheap, fwiw retail is $702 I think.

Had a light rail on it is the only down side.

Might have to do a torture test this summer on it.  It's made in the Phillipines by ARMSCOR.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SA Range officer

I have added a s&a magwell, fuzion slide stop, and an ed brown mag release.

It's a workhorse, I shoot it 6-8 times a month for range games.

The problem I have had is the ejector coming loose.

It's glued in, instead of pinned.

(I wonder if my using brake cleaner sometimes to clean got down in the posts)

On 4/11/2018 at 8:22 PM, ecn515 said:

Soliciting suggestions and opinions on which 9mm 1911 to buy for gun games. I'd primarily be shooting USPSA SS and steel challenge with this gun. I'm left handed so an ambi safety would be nice. Not super crazy about doing a ton of work on it myself after getting it, so the more ready to run the better in my opinion. 

I've looked into offerings from Sig, Springfield, and a few others. At this time the front runner in my books seems to be the newly refreshed Colt Gold Cup Trophy, all it would need after purchasing would be an ambi safety from what I can tell. If I've missed something, or you think there's something else worth considering feel free to share!

Both myself and  @762rocstarr are local to you. Rocstarr is a lefty who shoots single stack. There are a number of custom smiths in the area that could build you a fantastic competition gun. I'd check out his builds before deciding on anything.

We'll both be at the Ike's USPSA match tomorrow if you wanna stop by.

Just now, Nayr said:

Both myself and  @762rocstarr are local to you. Rocstarr is a lefty who shoots single stack. There are a number of custom smiths in the area that could build you a fantastic competition gun. I'd check out his builds before deciding on anything.

We'll both be at the Ike's USPSA match tomorrow if you wanna stop by.

Derp. Should have figured out the initials. What's up Evan.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:26 PM, ecn515 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! 

By no means am I new to gun games or 19/2011's, I have been at this for a while and already have an Atlas Titan for Limited and 3 Gun play. I love that gun but I think SS would be fun to keep things fresh. I think the Colt or DW would be about the most I'd want to spend on the gun since this is secondary to my main focus which is 3 gun. Obviously I know what ever I get in the end I want fiber front/black rear sights, good grips, magwell, and ambi safety. So the more of those things that are included the better, I don't have unlimited time to fiddle with another gun and get it set up. I especially have no patience or time for a gun that doesn't run out of the box so factory reliability is a must. 

The DW PM9 looks interesting, although it's lacking magwell and grips and is pretty expensive especially for not being done. The RO Elite Target peaked my interest early, but there's not much out about it and it would take the most work in my estimation. The Sig Max is something I'd also considered I've yet to actually see anyone using them though, that and unfortunately the safety/trigger/sights aren't really up to my liking so it would also take some work. If I were throwing out the Colt right now it would appear that the PM9 is the front runner. 

All that being said a RI is definitely not what I'm looking for, but I appreciate the input and am glad to hear that they are working out for some of the rest of you. 

I know that I’d have never bothered with buying a used STI if I’d have known how an Atlas shot.

So I’m curious as to Why don’t you just bite the bullet once and get another Atlas SS? You know they make a good gun and have great customer service. Yeah, it might cost you a little more now. But man, I know it would be totally worth it. That’s my opinion anyway.

They need to review the history leading to the 1911. JMBs original design was in 38 Auto. the 45 ACP was only because the Army wanted the stopping power of the Larger 45 caliber bullet. So he modified his design for the 45 Auto to satisfy the Army.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a Dan Wesson Valor in 9mm that would be perfect. I still kick myself for selling that for the new shiny. Dan Wesson now has numerous attractive offerings. Although my grail gun for this would be an Atlas SS. 

On my previous note on the Dan Wesson PM9 - it doesn't have a right side safety, so you'd have to add an ambi safety.  If money is no object, Atlas makes a great 1911.