Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Ruger should I buy?

twister

I'm wanting to buy a Ruger, and really don't know anything about them, other than they seem to be very popular. The reason for the post, is one model any better than the other? I will be shooting this in steel challenge type matches, along with an informal PPC match. Any help on this is greatly appreciated, Dave.

Here is my Ruger Mark IV 22/45.  What I like is you can add a lot of accessories to it.  Picture on top is with a Volquartsen  LLV 6 upper.  On bottom is stock 22/45 with Tactical Solutions's comp and C-More sight with StonerCNC grips.

Frankenruger with magazines.jpg

22 45 Stoner grips.jpg

Edited by AzShooter

Very nice looking pistols. I think the gun I'm after would be like the one in the first picture. I just wasn't sure if there were as many parts and accessories for the mark 4 as there was for the mark 2, and 3.  Thanks for your help, Dave.

• 1 month later...

i would get a MK IV and upgrade it with Volquarsen parts as you go along.
I have a MK III with some trigger components in it.  I got the Hunter model and swapped the fiber optic sights out for traditional ones.  I had a red dot on it for a while but took it back off after a few months (actually i had a couple different red dots on it).

with the MK series pistols, there are lots of aftermarket stuff you can get from Volquartsen or Tactical Solutions. 
you can get different "upper" receivers (which is actually the registered part and considered the "gun" on these pistols, the upper receiver has the serial number) later if you want to make it lighter.
if you want to go all out and spend a bunch of money then you could just guy a Volquartsen built MK series Ruger but i think that is excessive for most people. it all dpeneds on what you want and how much you want to spend.
I like the standard models over the 22/45 models because there seems to be more parts available for them.
I would pick them up and see which one you like in your hand better.
when i got my MK III, it had problems with light strikes and extracting.  I got a replacement extractor and firing pin from Volquartsen (i drop that name a lot but i had a lot of good luck with their parts) and that seemed to fix my problems.  I haven't had an issue since.   I highly recommend those parts due to my experience but you might not have those problems.
I love my pistol and will be picking up a MK IV later on and doing something less traditional with it in regard to appearance.  It will be more target/competition oriented. 

i say get a new MK IV as they take down easier and get a few upgrades.
if you want to go cheaper, get a MK III and buy parts for it.  They are going to be in less demand due to the MK IVs being out.
If money isnt the issue, the MK IV is heads and shoulders better than the MK III due to how it breaks down..... you push a button and thats it.
I would say a Volquartsen trigger is the only upgrade you need at first.  They shoot nice.

I am long winded and often redundant, sorry about the long post.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, twister said:

I want to buy a Ruger, and really don't know anything about them 

Before you buy a Ruger, handle one and then handle a Browning - I went thru

same process that you are going thru, and I personally preferred the feel

of the Browning.    :) 

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

You might also take a look at a S&W 41.  I've had one for many years and have really enjoyed it.

I second the M41. I bought mine used and ran countless thousand rounds through it. I will never be as accurate as it! All day long you can go through the same hole. Just for fun I shoot clays at the 100 yard range. That really pees off the tatical 3 times a year rifle crowd. Just hold over about a foot and I can lob in .22’s any day.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on what your budget is.  That VQ pictured is 1200 bucks before the optic and probably other mods.  For steel challenge, you want small and light. The MK IV 22/45 is a great place to start.  Trigger, sear, optic and mount, comp and some mags and your set.  You can do more as time goes on.  Tac Sol just came out with barrels for the MK IV.  You can spend a lot Or not and still be competitive, especially at a local level.  I've seen stock beat up 40 year old 10/22s kick butt.

Edited by Andyk

• 2 months later...

I have a mkIII competition with Volquartsen internals and it one sweet shooting pistol. I'm partial to the mk lowers with full steel uppers. Although if I were to buy another one now it would have to be a mkIV

• 6 months later...

I like a MKIII 5.5" bull target with volquartsen internals and volquartsen grip panels, topped with a C-more for shooting steel and bowling pins. Trigger is about 1.5#'s and it does the trick. Very fast and accurate pistol. It is just as good and reliable as the more expensive pistols.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...