Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp crud

LLRukus

I found it didn’t really prevent buildup as much as it made it easier to remove. But I always forgot to spray before shooting so now I just bead Blast it out a few times a year.

Sure everyone has their "recipe". Last match I sprayed the comp with some of Klutchs Mag Slick. Then soaked it in KG Carbon remover after the match. Cleaned up nicely. 

I just plan on doing it more often instead of waiting for the crud to build up.

Do these strong chemicals affect loctite on comp threads? Does it spread? I would only stand the barrel on its nose and add comp cleaner to below barrel crown. I have had too many problems in the past with loose comps.

I just found that using a Anti-Spatter spray (used for welding) works really well. The Boretech is another great option. It goes to town on Carbon.

I never was good about spraying with Dillon spray enough to help. Hopefully I'll keep up with the Anti-spatter, or it will work a little longer between applications.

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I tried Kroll and didn't have much luck...

Did you soak it overnight or something?

Yes, I soak it in a little container. It’s not a breeze but easier than anything else I’ve tried. 

Hello, I suggested this before on the forum.  I bought a nice electric engraver relatively cheap on Amazon.  Then I used a small screwdriver blade and rounded off the corners, then cut it to length and installed it. Talk about a time saver without all the heavy scraping like I use to with the Arredondo comp scraper.  Also, you can set the engraver speed to where it works best and its  like using a miniature jack hammer.  However, be careful when using near the muzzle crown.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve soaked mine in a mixture of 1 part lanolin to 10 parts 99% rubbing alcohol and let it sit overnight. Then I use a pick to get the carbon out.

I’m not a fan of how long it takes to clean off the lanolin, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I suggested this before on the forum.  I bought a nice electric engraver relatively cheap on Amazon.  Then I used a small screwdriver blade and rounded off the corners, then cut it to length and installed it. Talk about a time saver without all the heavy scraping like I use to with the Arredondo comp scraper.  Also, you can set the engraver speed to where it works best and its  like using a miniature jack hammer.  However, be careful when using near the muzzle crown.

I use a Dremel engraving tool and have recommended it for years every time one of these crop up. Use a nail or scribe tip instead of the harder engraving tip and it works like a miniature jackhammer.

Way faster than any solvent.

• 3 weeks later...

Coat your comp with weapon shield when it's brand new. If already shot, spray it down, leave it sit for a day, then go "shoot it out". The comp will clean up then recoat it again.

44 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

Coat your comp with weapon shield when it's brand new. If already shot, spray it down, leave it sit for a day, then go "shoot it out". The comp will clean up then recoat it again.

First I've heard about Weapon Shield...

Are you talking about the solvent or the CLP?

Use the solvent, it has some lube in it.   The solvent is also great if you sonicate parts with it.

If it's already dirty, use the solvent. But if you ave a band new comp, coat it with the oil first. It will put a protective coating on it. Apply every now and again.

Edited by bigboy69

3 hours ago, bigboy69 said:

Use the solvent, it has some lube in it.   The solvent is also great if you sonicate parts with it.

If it's already dirty, use the solvent. But if you ave a band new comp, coat it with the oil first. It will put a protective coating on it. Apply every now and again.

Thanks...  Just ordered some from Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:18 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks...  Just ordered some from Amazon.

Sorry,  if you ever need it again, order direct and use the Don Stout 15% discount code.

Anyone can use that code, just call direct.