Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Tried Bar And Chain Lube On Guns

Azone41

Iwas looking around at the local hardware store and saw a gallon of bar and chain lube. I remembered how slick and sticky it was from my firewood cutting days. I bought a gallon for $2.48. I have been using it for about a month now to lube up both my open and limited guns and this stuff works great. It stays in the rails and the guns have never ran better. The gallon I bought should last about 10 years, not bad for less then 3 bucks. Thought I would share it with everybody.

I heard similar stories about using Mobil1 synthetic motor oil. I can't understand why someone would want to us bar/chain oil or motor oil on their guns when suitable GUN oil is available but...

If it works for you, great and you certainly have enough to share !!! :lol:

I stopped using regular gun oil when I was shooting a lot of steel. Like a dip, I would shoot until I was ankle deep in brass in a 100 degree bay. I kept smelling the oil burning off of my Open gun. The worst lube was FP10 because the wet stuff burned off leaving only the dry stuff, lol.

Problem solved when I went to Mobile 1 synthetic oil. It's the best stuff I have found for shooting a gun until it practically has a melt down. I have never used slide glide but I bet it would work like a champ in our hot months. Not too sure about 20 below zero. As for bar and chain oil, it stays on because of the additive that makes it tacky. But I wonder what happens when it burns off and I really wonder if it would attract and retain grit?

I heard similar stories about using Mobil1 synthetic motor oil. I can't understand why someone would want to us bar/chain oil or motor oil on their guns when suitable GUN oil is available but...

If it works for you, great and you certainly have enough to share !!!  :lol:

I don't know about bar and chain oil, but Mobil 1 synthetic oil actually has published specifications and works extraordinarily well for certain applications as opposed to certain overpriced gun oils that rely on marketing hype to move their overpriced product.

Seriously. I've seen gun lubricants with Teflon. That's just asinine.

I switched to plain Mobile when I saw how hot the pistol gets in practice. Shoot 8 or 10 Bill drills, or burn 6 mags on any drill and see how hot it is. For some reason I don't trust Breakfree to lube anything in those conditions. Breakfree works fine for my duck gun because it seldom gets too hot.

Maybe one of the existing companies can launch a new product called Auto-Ease.

I had problems with gun oil not staying on my slide rails. I tried Remington's oil with Teflon, which was an improvement.

The best thing I've found is the oil that's used for the lower units on boat motors. It's much thicker than regular oil, kind of like warm butter, but sticky. If I spread the stuff on the slide rails, it's still there when I clean the gun after shooting. And I've never had a failure that could be blamed on it.

"I'm pretty tempted to refill a bottle of Astroglide with Mobil-1 and use it at matches just for shock value. "

The shock value is that you have an empty bottle of Astroglide to begin with. :P