Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching between 650 and 550

I currently have a 550 that is serving me well. I am finding however that I rarely switch it over to other calibers because I always want it ready to load 9mm, the caliber I shoot the most. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a second press, a 650, but wonder how difficult it is to jump back and forth between the two different presses. I just wonder if after loading on the 650, will I forget to manual index the 550 or place a case. Or is it much like driving a manual then driving an automatic. You may occasionally hit the brake trying to press the non existant clutch, but other than that its not that different.

Thanks

Sean

I have both on the bench next to each other.  I use the 650 for all the high volume ammo 9/38/40/10/44/45/.223/7.62x39  and the 550 for all of my lower volume pistol stuff and most of my odd rifle stuff. I don't have any issues jumping between them and think it works well.

I use a 550 for low volume loading. I have 2 650’s one for small primers and one for large primers. They are set for 38 special and .45 auto. All the other low volume loading is on the 550. I haven’t had any issues switching between the 2 styles of presses. 

I have had my 550 for eight years and about six months ago I purchased a new 650.  I had a few growing pains getting use to the 650, but it is working get for my now.  My thumb doesn't get numb using the 650 as it does with my 550.  I still have my 550 which is setup to load 45 ACP at this time and I have had no problems going back and forth with each reloader. 

3 hours ago, Intel6 said:

I have both on the bench next to each other.  I use the 650 for all the high volume ammo 9/38/40/10/44/45/.223/7.62x39  and the 550 for all of my lower volume pistol stuff and most of my odd rifle stuff. I don't have any issues jumping between them and think it works well.

I do the same thing with less calibers.  I bought the 650 for 38 super and 9mm, I should move my .40 caliber over there as well since I am shooting more of that now.  Switching between them is now problem at all and I like the differences between them.  I reload 223 on my 550 and like the pace of it for that caliber.  

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This stage in life I am not shooting as much as I would like, but with two young boys I hope to be shooting with them soon. 650 seems like a good investment long term and a great companion to the 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, 3guns said:

It's not difficult going between the two presses.  Get a 650, you won't regret it. 

I regretted it, but know I'm the odd man out by not liking the 650's

Sold the 650 and bought another 550

Sorry for the hijack, but those of you with both the 550 and 650.. Do the handles sit at the same height? Im thinking about buying a 650 to go along with my 550. I have found the 550 with a Dillon strong mount and roller handle is at the perfect height for me. I am hoping the 650 will come in at about the same height if I use a strong mount and roller handle. Thanks. 

I had both at one time Pat, and I used two different strong mounts. The 550 only has one size available, but the 650 has two. If I'm not mistaken I bought the short strong mount for the 650 and that put them at about the same height. 

The tech guy at Dillon can help you decide on which one you need.

22 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

I am a 550 fan! I reload at least 11 different calibers. All I can say is buy more toolheads!!!

For me the worst part is to change the primer size.

Even the EBAY toolheads work fine.

Time for a second 550 then you have one for each primer size!

I have two 550’s; large and small primer with the primer roller bearing mod and a 650.  

Use the 550’s for small runs, match ammo and load development. 

650 for trimming brass and runs over 200 rounds for my two rifles and two pistol calibers.

All are optioned out with Dillon bullet trays and Ergo handles.

Edited by Currently