Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Colt Type Mag extensions?

This is for Colt metalform 32 rd mags..

I have a Taccom coupler but would like just about 42 rds, looking for a +10 extension but I hear the TF are no good? Any others out there that work? With/without new spring? Does Bmiller make these?

Hello: I am using the Taylor Freelance on my Metalform magazines. I did get the extra power springs from Wolff for the 32 round mags. I am using the 32 round springs in the 20 round mags with the base pads. One thing you have to watch is that the follower transitions into the magazine as well as out of the magazine. You may have to polish the mag, follower or base pad to make them work 100%. Lastly I only load them to 38-40 rounds and that gets me through any USPSA stage. If I need more than that I couple a 32 and a 20 round mag together with the Taccom splice. Thanks, Eric

33 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

Unlike the gents above....I can not make the TF extensions work in my old C-Product mags.

So I have been using a 32 and 10 round mag with a Taccom splice. This gives me 45 rounds and has ran flawlessly for thousands or rounds.

I tried this and couldn't get it to work, I couldn't get the spring splice thing to work, even tried the "roll pin method".. Maybe I will try again with a new spring instead of reusing the 2 OE springs

I am in the same boat about the TF and my metalforms, not working.  Brian Miller or bmiller on here has the best extension that I have used.  Brian has made them with a 3D printer. Brian is a innovator and a great guy. I am considering getting my mags welded together to see how that works.

I’m using the TF+10 as well on both my Metalform and ASC mags. The MF followers required a little more massaging than the ASC and both TF extensions needed a little dremel tool tuning as well. I used a black sharpie to help identify the catch points on the inside of the extensions.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, bladewurk said:

Is everybody deleting the LRBHO tab on the follower to get these to work? Grind & smooth edges etc?

I did not remove LRBHO tab but discovered that the those on the Metalform magazines was contacting and slightly raising the LRBHO with a round stil left in the mag, which caused the bolt to lock back occasionally. I simply cut off the appropriate amount off the tab to fix. This has never happened with my ASC magazines.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:13 AM, bladewurk said:

Is everybody deleting the LRBHO tab on the follower to get these to work? Grind & smooth edges etc?

No, but Robin at TF had to file & smooth the bottom front of the follower to get it to feed properly and host 42 rounds.

TF extension works perfectly on the two IWI mags I put them on.  Not sure who makes them for IWI... thought it was Metalform, but I could be wrong.  No polishing, grinding, extra power springs, etc.  Just installed them and go, and they've been flawless for dozens of USPSA matches.  I've switched to MPX and using Springer extensions due to the (very nice) cheap engraving. 

These extensions, from any manufacturer, are just hollowed out chunks of aluminum.  Hardly rocket science.  I'm having trouble seeing how any of them could cause problems that weren't already present in the magazine itself.

I couldn’t get my TF mag extensions to work on my metalform mags

i tried the extra power spring, no joy, I switched them around to different mags again no joy

then I ran out of 135 gr heads and loaded 125s and it ran, tried 115s and it ran

i don’t know if it was the different bullet profile or the lighter weight but they work