Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left eye dominant shooter and right handed shotgun question

cbmax

Hi,

I am looking to add a semi automatic shotgun to my collection for use in 3 gun. I am naturally right handed but I shoot long guns left handed due to eye dominance. I'd prefer to stick with a right handed gun for several reasons including resale, selection, parts availability, etc.

Can anyone let me know me know if you see any potential issues?

I am considering the newer style Browning A5 Stalker mainly due to the speed load feature. From what I understand this eliminates the use of a match saver. I am thinking this shotgun would be easier to live with in a RH model and me shooting it LH.

Suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

Chris

3 hours ago, cbmax said:

Hi,

I am naturally right handed but I shoot long guns left handed due to eye dominance. I'd prefer to stick with a right handed gun for several reasons including resale, selection, parts availability, etc.

Suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

Chris

If you wear shooting glasses take a piece of clear or opaque tape and place it high on the left lens so that it will partly block your vision when your head is properly on the gun and you are aiming.  Experiment with the tape; this will usually keep the left eye from taking over yet allow you to have a good sighting view.  This is a common solution for some clay target shooters.

I'm hugely left eye dominant and shoot right handed as well. My right eye's muscles never really developed, so it can't really focus very well and is more or less along for the ride with my visual input. Couple that with older age and I now shoot most precision rifle shots left handed.

I'm still sticking with right handed shotgun use for everything but long range slugs. Too many years of muscle memory (everything but the eye). The only thing unusual about my shotgunning is that I can't start mounted when shooting skeet. I've never been able to pick up the clays when starting mounted. Of course this doesn't affect any of my other shotgunning, as I don't shoot trap. As a reference, I'm usually 90 to 95% at skeet and 80 to 90% at 5 stand, and rarely miss a 3 gun target other than 80 yard plus slug targets.

My technique is simple. Both eyes open to locate any target, and then I squint my left eye until my right can take over to make the shot. Sounds weird but it works. Give me a plate rack or a Texas star at 50 feet and I'll have it done in 2.80 secs on a cold run, on average.

One thing, I can't reload strong side off my shoulder as the whole loading port is kind of a blur. I have to load weak side to get my left involved to see the loading port and get that hand to eye thing working.

Shotguns are forgiving so don't stress too much on it. If a functional idiot like me with a right eye at 20/300 on a good day can figure it out so can you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

I'm hugely left eye dominant and shoot right handed as well. My right eye's muscles never really developed, so it can't really focus very well and is more or less along for the ride with my visual input. Couple that with older age and I now shoot most precision rifle shots left handed.

Amblyopia? I have it in my right eye. I shoot all long guns left handed. I don't have much experience with shotguns, I might have to try that. 

I couldn't remember the medical term but that looks like a winner. It didn't get caught until I was eight. Too late to patch the dominate eye so the right side could develop, and glasses are unable to help either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.  I am not interested in trying to shoot a shotgun right handed by blocking my left eye.  I have tried it and it simply doesn't feel right.

I am still trying to determine if choosing the Browning A5 Stalker as my platform in a right handed version (only way it is made) and shooting it left handed will present any issues in a 3 gun match.

Also what about shotguns where a Match Saver is needed?  Is there an issue using my right hand (support hand) to manipulate the shell on the Match Saver into the chamber?

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I am blind in my right eye, so I shoot pistols right handed, but left eye and long guns left handed. There is no problems doing this. Only problem is when you look at 3-gun stages from a loading aspect your movement will be based on keeping the gun down range. So I try to shoot left to right on pistol and right to left on shotgun & rifle as much as possible.Takes a little getting used to.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

Left-eye-dominant-shooter-who-is-right-handed-but-shoots-long-guns-lefty here. I switched from a lefty SBEII to an A5 at the end of 2016. I can’t tell you how glad I am I made that switch. I’d say the A5 is one of the more lefty-friendly, right-handed shotties out there. Safety is real simple to reverse and the auto-load makes a match saver no longer necessary as you stated (IMO, YMMV).  

I also suggest to upgrade to Tom Knapp sight over stock, get the port opened (I sent mine to RCI), slap a tube on it and you’re good to go. 

• 1 month later...

As a natural lefty with many right handed guns I can answer a few questions. 

It's easier to match save'r a right handed shotgun vs a left handed one. The bolt release on a right handed gun helps guide the shell into the load port. 

Almost all stocks can be shimmed so you can get the correct cast/drop/pitch regardless of what hand/eye you are using. 

Make sure the safety is reversible, that matters. Knapp sights are awesome as has already been said. Lastly make sure the recoil pad is shaped correctly either a universal fit or fit for you (more of an M2 issue) so that the gun fits you.

• 1 month later...

I’m right handed and left eye dominant and shoot everything left handed.

Big advantage loading I think loading “weak hand” quads with my dominant hand was easy to pick up. I thought about getting a left handed shotgun but the bolt release is still on the right side with a lefty M2 or Franchi.

I talked to Benelli reps at Pheasant Fest this year and asked why no true lefty guns. Main reason was completely redesigned trigger would price it infeasibly.

• 3 months later...

I am a cross eye dominant shooter, but only because my right eye got weaker over the years. I still shoot everything righty with both eyes open. If I have trouble focusing on long range shots ill close my left eye. Eyes are a muscle just like any other in your body, you can train them to do what you want. Maybe start with a patch on your glasses then go to scratching the left lense so its blurry to both eyes clear.