Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM ULW PCC Barrel Question

On TACCOM'S website, it recommends NOT using Lead or Poly Coated bullets with their PCC Barrel and recommends brushing the barrel out if you do.

All I run are poly coated bullets.

Have folks had issues with this?  What happens?

Edited by Nemesis Lead
On TACCOM'S website, it recommends NOT using Lead or Poly Coated bullets with their PCC Barrel and recommends brushing the barrel out if you do.

All I run are poly coated bullets.

Have folks had issues with this?  What happens?

Oh just all the lead builds up in the shroud......but if are aware of it and clean it.....no problem. But if you don’t clean it, it will build up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about a thing, if I were you, especially if you're using coated bullets. You'd have to shoot a whole lot of ammo through that thing in order to build up enough residue to impede a bullet. Tim, and I don't blame him, has to take the position he does for obvious reasons.

Keep a round count going and let us know if anything unusual happens, and keep the velocity at reasonable levels. 

That barrel's primary feature is it's light weight.  If you allow the outer barrel to build up with lead and the coating, it would be getting progressively heavier over time, defeating it's primary benefit.  While I am sure that it is possible to achieve, it would take a lot of material to build up to the point that it obstructed the path of the bullet.

I shot it first and my grand daughter has since taken my Taccom ULW upper over. With about 5K or more rounds thru it shoot nothing but SNS coated poly bullets I have seen no appreciable build up of lead on the shroud. Super accurate. She shot an 80 yard 6" plate rack with no problems. Really likes how light weight it is and how fast it transitions.

Now on my rifle with JP 14.5 barrel with their pinned & welded tactical comp I am seeing a large build up on the comp baffles. Have to take a dremel every 2 or 3 matches to get it out. May go back to plated or jacketed bullets on mine.

gerritm

Barrel is only 5.5" right?  So in front of barrel muzzle just not sleeve muzzle.  

I shot a hole in my Kriss Vector sleeve when it worked loose.  Hence the cause of my paranoia.  

image1.jpeg

Edited by joelogic

Damn! If it's going to do that i'd shoot it one handed.:o

I wouldn't worry about the ULW. If you've seen the X-ray like picture of the shroud over the barrel on Taccom's website, you'll see that the shroud slips over a good deal of the barrel. Even if the pin would come loose the shroud to barrel fit is much too tight to cause the problem you see in the picture. 

4 hours ago, joelogic said:

Sorry to thread jack, but do most of you place the foam closer to the breech than the muzzle?  Further out is more comfortable but I don't really like having my hand in front of the muzzle.  Am I just being paranoid?  

Your hand is NOT in front of the muzzle......get over it :)

UHMMMM......that is a paper thing POS you have there......not like our shroud.

Edited by TRUBL
On 1/22/2018 at 7:58 AM, gerritm said:

I shot it first and my grand daughter has since taken my Taccom ULW upper over. With about 5K or more rounds thru it shoot nothing but SNS coated poly bullets I have seen no appreciable build up of lead on the shroud. Super accurate. She shot an 80 yard 6" plate rack with no problems. Really likes how light weight it is and how fast it transitions.

Now on my rifle with JP 14.5 barrel with their pinned & welded tactical comp I am seeing a large build up on the comp baffles. Have to take a dremel every 2 or 3 matches to get it out. May go back to plated or jacketed bullets on mine.

gerritm

I have found that JP barrels are VERY hard on coated bullets. Recovered bullets showed noticeable stripping of the coating and slight elongation of the bullets. Id say that coupled with my chrono results means these barrels are super tight.  /end highjack 

Edited by Patrick Scott

I love my ULW. It's a great barrel.  I shoot only poly coated.  It does create a grimy, tough build up.  After I noticed it I used a piece of copper pipe to scrape the inside.  It worked very well.  I know maintain it with hoppes and 12 gauge brush.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, longbeard said:

I love my ULW. It's a great barrel.  I shoot only poly coated.  It does create a grimy, tough build up.  After I noticed it I used a piece of copper pipe to scrape the inside.  It worked very well.  I know maintain it with hoppes and 12 gauge brush.

I started to run a 12 ga brass brush  down the tube and it was a bit tight. I was afraid it might get stuck. 

After reading this thread I looked down by ULW.  Yup, there’s some build up, most of the concentration on the inside of the shroud is just past the end of the barrel.  The build up kinda looks like a bad powder coat job.  Oh well, I’ll keep an eye on it and go after it with a brush now and then.  Really liking the ULW.