Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Juat to keep this thread alive, I took this test twice for real and a couple of times the online versions and I wave back and forth between INTP and INTJ.

Seriously, either the tests are bogus, or there is a major INT* representation here which I'm sure someone would love to write a PHD paper on.

Vlad

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, am I in the minority here...??!!  Hello???!!!![/color] :P

It's bucket of cold water in the face to extraverts when they run across a place where they are in a significant minority. They outnumber introverts more than 3:1 in the US and any one of them makes more noise than five I's.... :D The Internet, however, collects introverts, most especially Thinking introverts, like a powerful magnet.

Penny, it's not so much that I dislike the MBTI as it just doesn't deliver what it purports about half the time. That's an important point to me. It can be useful, though, and is certain fun. Aside to those interested in it: take the real sit-down paper deal some time. It's much better than the Internet knock-offs and is by definition your 'real' MBTI result. The knock-offs are just that, with varying degrees of fidelity.

Regarding your comments on taking the MBTI, people who feel boxed in by it often have similar situations. One is if the person is under serious stress. Another is they, for a variety of reasons, don't have a strongly developed personal approach to life yet. Another might be because the person's native inclinations are not valued in the local culture and the person is pressured to behave differently than they'd personally prefer.

For example, in up front, kick ass, take names America those who value, oh dunno, group consensus are poo-pooed and sometime marginalized. It's not a valued personality trait though it's part of the available full spectrum of human personality.

As for personality systems I like out of the couple dozen I've reasonably investigated, I'd pick factor analysis and core Jung.

The better known FA systems are Big Three and NEO-PI. It's quintessential introverted Thinking. This approach submits large numbers of personality words to people to have them group and rate for "intensity." The results are put through a computer for least squares or another fit, then the eigenvectors that span personality space are extracted. It's rather technical. :) It's a complete shoe-in for an introverted Thinking physicist like me. It has the advantage of being reasonably repeatable and crosses language and culture boundaries better than anything else I know of.

Jung is pure introverted Intuition. It provides an orthogonal view to the subject for me. It's not easy for me to work with, but it's gratifying when I make the effort. I especially like how archetype can combine with type for a powerful outlook. People here who score Intuitives and are interested in the subject owe it to themselves to read some Jung.

For an MBTI book, check out Personality Type by Lenore Thomson. She's a rare person who writes from the junction of core Jung and Myers-Briggs and plain English. I highly recommend it.

-Keith

"Another might be because the person's native inclinations are not valued in the local culture and the person is pressured to behave differently than they'd personally prefer."
I think one of the reasons I had difficulty with the testing as a child was that I had a MUCH broader and deeper range of thought and perception than most of the kids around me (and was far more literate!), and saw around corners with the numerous possible answers to ANY question, let alone ones that demanded only black or white answers or demanded that I make a choice between a certain two things--neither of which may've suited me at the moment, culturally.

I also spent a lot of time (large chunk of my adult life) on the air living a larger-than-life persona because that's what constituted success in that field: Being larger than life. It was how I made money--and ratings. And it's how I managed to survive. I'm still there... a little.

Just about the time I think perhaps I'm overdoing it with an outgoing personality role, someone sez, "The last shooting match just wasn't the same without you." I rest my little extroverted case.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I'd ever taken this before:

Your Type is

INTJ

which seems about as close to or as far from the truth as most tests that try to put people into a small number of fixed boxes :P

Kevin

This should have been a poll

Actually, I would love for it to be one. Unfortunately, forums programming will only allow polls to have 10 choices. With 16 personality types, that's not going to work very well.

We could run one for the E types and one for all the normal people. :P

-ld

I think the least beneficial aspect of the MBTI is the conclusion of what Type you are.

Reducing "Type" to a simple, observable realm - we are born with certain tendencies to act certain ways in specific circumstances. Just living in the world demands a reckoning with the dichotomy of perception - all our thoughts, feelings, decisions, and actions occur within the sphere of "self and other," or subject/object.

In the four realms of behavior - we each express, perceive, decide, and act with either a subjective or objective bias. And the most important thing is to never forget that we are "never just one thing," or "just one type." In certain situations you will tend to either express yourself freely (objective) or keep to yourself (subjective). We are never either "E" or "I" - we tend towards either in different situations. The same goes for the other three realms. We tend to perceive the world objectively, aware of forms, sounds, and colors in our immediate environment, or we sense the world more intuitively (subjective), almost intangibly knowing what's "going on" without being able to explain it to others. Then when the time comes to decide, we do so either considering what's best for more than ourselves (objective), or we decide based on what we want (subjective). And when living life, our activities originate from a personal feeling of what we want to do - play before work, more spontaneous - or what "should be done" (objective) - tending to do "the right thing."

However you choose to explain or understand behavior isn't nearly as important as what you do with what you've learned. In certain situations, I've noticed I tend to either express or not express, act or not act, in fixed, observable patterns. Do those tendencies encourage living with values important to me? Sometimes they do, but often they do not.

be

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I took this I was a ENTP. This time I came up as ESTJ. ..33 1 11 67

I'd attribute that P to J shift to the addition of a toddler....No, you can't have candy for breakfast and underwear goes on your backside not your head....RULES!