Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz for 3 gun

Eric1231

I am considering getting a different pistol for 3 gun. Initially I was considering getting a 2011 however they appear to be more finicky than I would like. A lot of the guys that shoot 3 gun in my area with 2011 seem to have some issues with them. Give me the good and that bad about the cz's. Which model would you recommend for 3 gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own an Sti 2011, .40 S&W, build by local gunsmith who is great with STI. It just runs and runs. Sp-01 for Production.  Factory with really minor mods — fixed low profile competition sights, trigger job, competition hammer, and spring replacements. I moved mag release to right side, and polished the interior. Minor problem early one with ejector. Fixed by recontouring. 65k rnds. Just runs and runs. 

Pros. DA/SA typically fire with a DA pull if no bang is caused by a high primer. Faster than sliding cycling a SA. When done correctly you can’t go wrong with either. 

CZ model. Go with moded SP01.  Spend the $ you for match fees or ammo to practice. 

I bought a P-09 with the intention of getting a Shadow 2 in the future.  My son adopted the P-09, and I'm considering getting a second one.

The downside is in holster selection.  I'd love a Safariland LV 2 retention for 3 Gun, or something similar but so far no dice.  Another member just recommended the GLS pro fit, it may be the way to go.

20171204_171459_2.jpg

I run the Shadow 2 and TSO in 9mm with a DAA RaceMaster holster.  This year I ended up only running the S2 because I was doing a fair bit of IPSC shooting, and the one time I tried switching to my TSO mid-season it slowed my shooting down, so I just stuck with S2 all year.

S2 has the advantage of being able to run hammer down start condition and DA first shot, giving more safety.

The main disadvantage to either of these guns vs a 2011 is the safety.  In factory form, the safety will come off _very_ easily on a pistol dump, and it is worse as you go to bigger safety paddles.  I've settled on the S2 factory shelf safety, which sticks out enough to be a thumb rest but not too much, and aftermarket extra power safety springs.  And still setting it down with some care not to have the surface flip off the safety.

S2 can be equipped with 23round 140mm mags.  Not sure what the TS mags can hold, it should be that or more.

I run a standard TS for 3 gun and its a great gun for it. The only things I've done to it are installed a CGW hammer, lighter recoil spring, lok thin boggie grips and a TSO magwell. The gun just runs and I've had zero issues running it all year. My only issue is the lack of kydex holster options for it, I run a blade tech classic owb, but wish there were more options and a decent retention holster for it.

Edited by mveto

Safariland makes the GLS. Here's the thread GLS. Fits a Shadow, Shadow 2 and Tac Sport. Even fits a Czechmate in limited configuration. 

I shoot a Shadow 2 for 3 gun and USPSA production. If I were getting one pistol it would be the Shadow 2 as the frame is a huge upgrade compared to the Tac Sport and S1. TS 9mm is kind of limited to 3 gun where a S2 can do everything the TS does and more. 

Find your local CZ squad at the match and say you're curious. We love converting folks to the CZ faith. Shoot every gun until you find what you prefer. Start your collection there. 

Pick a CZ, drop some Grams spring/followers and TTI basepads and go shoot. Cz's are a blast and stupid reliable. 

Edited by Darqusoull13

Magazines for the P09, Tactical Sport (and the Orange) are stupid expensive, compared to magazines for the CZ 75 series of pistols.  I still own P09's and on Tactical Sport.

You can get good, or bad, pistols from most (if not all) manufacturers).  While all of mine have been reliable, my P09 9MM is, hands down, the most accurate center fire semi-auto I've ever fired.  That $450 P09 is more accurate than my Tactical Sport or my P09 .40 S&W.  Just the way it is.

The P09 could be left in decocker mode (comes with the decocker levers installed from the factory and has the safeties in a little Ziploc bag in the box) if that's what you want.  I have those little +2 bottoms on my P09 magazines so the 9MM runs with 21 rounds in the magazines and the .40 S&W with 17 rounds.  The Tactical Sport will hold more in either caliber. 

Since I bought my first CZ about 5 years ago I've bought nothing but CZ's.  The Colt, Glock, Browning, XDM and M&P pistols are in the safe these days.  I haven't shot any of them in a couple years or more.

• 3 months later...

I run a p09 with some czc extended base plates and their spring and follower kits and love the gun. There isn't a huge aftermarket following if them so it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options/upgrades available.  I went with the safariland gls holster and like it but don't love it. Gun seems a little sloppy in it but I don't think it would ever be dangerous and hop out.

I have it set up with the decocker on and like it, but there is of coarse the pretty big difference between sa / da  trigger pull so that first shot out of the holster gets a little wonky compared to the subsequent shots. 

With all that said, i really love that gun and bought a p07 for edc, and considered buying a tso, but have decided that I am going to build a 2011 and have ordered a Jem frame and slide to see how that goes.

3 minutes ago, CZ173 said:

Good choice on the cz p07 for carry

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The thing I really like about having them both is if I want I throw the extended p09 mags on my belt and have a 15 rounder in the gun then 2 23rd backup mags....in case there is a big wave of zombies

I will run an STI .40 for 3Gun if I see a match with tons of pistol spinners but for most matches my SP-01 or Shadow 2 is my first choice. Depends on my choice of Division. My rifle is a JP with Leopold optics so the Delta Point on the SP-01 limits my Division choice.

Edited by TommyK
P-01 needed to be SP-01