Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Selling/Trading this for that....

rowdyb

Seriously thinking of selling my STI Eagle that is my back up for Limited to buy, or trade for, a 9mm single stack gun.

I'd have no back up, but I'd be able to shoot another division. Hmmm.... not sure. I have a nice Limited gun and I take time to keep it fresh and functioning. I am not classified in SS.

What's what you find more worthwhile? A back up gun or something for a new division???

yeah, i've had back up guns before but they just sat. i've never had to use a back up gun in a match. i hhhhaavve had to use them in the past while the main gun was down for repairs to continue practicing, but never in a match.

i'm undecided on what's "worth more" to me. a back up gun i don't ever have to use. or a gun for a division i'm not classified in but would be something new.

(kinda sounds like i know what i'm trying to sell myself on..)

i traveled to 14 major matches a year two years in a row and never ever once needed my back up gun at the match. (albeit in Prod, not Lim) i've always had two sp01 shadows but never used the designated back up gun. where i found it more valuable was as a back up practice gun.

true, it is my decision. but sometimes i make bad ones that maybe if i'd talked to more people i might have formed a more complete or nuanced opinion for myself. hahaha

This can be a tough one to call. If you are putting a lot of rounds downrange in practice and going to quite a few major matches a back up makes sense. On the other hand, if you maintain your gun well and have fitted spare parts in your inventory maybe a gun for another division starts looking more attractive. Barring an unforeseen catastrophe (aren't they all?) I think I'd go with the chance to shoot more divisions.

I keep a backup gun, but I don’t care if it’s an exact match. Like you’ve mentioned, it’s so rare that a gun goes down hard enough to warrant switching to a backup. I use a stock Glock 22 with a few extended mags as my backup for limited. If a main gun goes down, the match is probably degraded to such a point that having a second 2011 wouldn’t be enough to recover.

If it were me, I’d find any cheap/reliable gun to use as a backup and put the rest towards what you want. A LEO trade in plastic fantastic and basepads can be had for pretty cheap. Then less money is sitting in the range bag as match insurance. I’m assuming you already have an extra parts kit with the commonly broken and easy to replace parts to get your main rig running at the safety table (slide stops, firing pins, etc).

Well, first off it just hurts to see Rowdy talking about guns other than CZ's. 

I think you should get a fun gun to shoot another division!

My backup gun just sits there, and the more I look at it, the more it looks like something else I want!

I guess the only thing that keeps me from getting a 9mm SS gun is then I ask, how is this different (in the shooting) than what I was doing in Production? Yeah I could probably double it up as an ESP gun as well but still.....

And NoKimberDave you'll be happy to know CZ is still my preferred thing.

51 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

Well, first off it just hurts to see Rowdy talking about guns other than CZ's. 

I think you should get a fun gun to shoot another division!

My backup gun just sits there, and the more I look at it, the more it looks like something else I want!

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I guess the only thing that keeps me from getting a 9mm SS gun is then I ask, how is this different (in the shooting) than what I was doing in Production? Yeah I could probably double it up as an ESP gun as well but still.....

And NoKimberDave you'll be happy to know CZ is still my preferred thing.

OK. All is right with the world again.

Don't want to lose you as an important CZ shooting/customizing resource man!

On 12/18/2017 at 6:41 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Tough to decide for you.   

Backup gun is MUCH more important for me, since I'm shooting OPEN, and don't plan on shooting anything else    :) 

Mostly me...... since I just purchased a new Shadow 2.  Open guns have more things to go wrong. It's kinda like bringing a raincoat so it doesn't rain. 

2 hours ago, IsaacB said:

I keep a backup gun, but I don’t care if it’s an exact match. Like you’ve mentioned, it’s so rare that a gun goes down hard enough to warrant switching to a backup. I use a stock Glock 22 with a few extended mags as my backup for limited. If a main gun goes down, the match is probably degraded to such a point that having a second 2011 wouldn’t be enough to recover.

If it were me, I’d find any cheap/reliable gun to use as a backup and put the rest towards what you want. A LEO trade in plastic fantastic and basepads can be had for pretty cheap. Then less money is sitting in the range bag as match insurance. I’m assuming you already have an extra parts kit with the commonly broken and easy to replace parts to get your main rig running at the safety table (slide stops, firing pins, etc).

The main issue I see with this is holster and mag compatability. If your back up is so different from your primary, now you're bringing two sets of mags and a second holster. Yes, cheaper than a close match of your primary gun, but not very convenient from a gear perspective.

23 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

The main issue I see with this is holster and mag compatability. If your back up is so different from your primary, now you're bringing two sets of mags and a second holster. Yes, cheaper than a close match of your primary gun, but not very convenient from a gear perspective.

You’re not wrong. I think the inconvenience is minimal, but your situation may vary.

For me it isn’t a big deal. The same pouches work for both mags. Three Glock mags and an extra paddle holster doesn’t take up an appreciable amount of space vs. just an extra 2011.

I thought it would be worth mentioning since the only two other options presented were keep the extra 2011 or sell it and have no backup at all.

well right now my main is an Atlas Titan. my back up is an STI Eagle. Both in 40. Both take the same mags and can run the same ammo. Eagle fits just fine in my holster for the Titan. So nothing is that onerous for me in having a back up. Other than the fact that historically I've never needed one. Seeing that dollar amount sitting around in my back up gun makes me want something else with it more than the insurance of a back up.