Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Describe Your Gun - Are Ya Happy?

Limited 10 gun is very nice. Colt Mark IV with Bomar rear and a Fiber optic front. Very reliable and doesn't look bad either. Limited gun is a Para P16 40 Limited. DP Ice magwell and a fiber front. No grips, just skateboard tape. It's had some troubles. I've only had it a few months but the "Covert Black" finish is already rubbing off. I've had to get a new rear sight because the old blade kept moving to the left. It shoots good though.

Mine is a work in progress, but lookin pretty now thanks to Virgil Tripp. Next project is the trigger, gettin a new one, soon as Nationals are over and my smith has time for a lowly local shooter ;)

STI Edge .40 S&W 5"

Long Dust Cover

Round top Slide

Grip Tape style grips

Red Fiber Optic front sight

One piece guide rod ( Thanks to CarinB)

11# Wolff Recoil Spring

Wilson Blue Recoil Buff

Hard Chromed by Virgil Tripp

3 Tuned mags by my smith, two hold 19, one holds 20, but not reloadable.

3 Zhunter Tuned Mags, 3 that all hold 20 and are reloadable :D

IDPA gun is a pre-series 70 Colt .38 Super. 100% reliable but it's looks are starting to fade. I could care less about the looks. If I ever shoot IDPA again it will come out of the safe.

L-10 gun is a Kimber Custom Classic Target .45 - This gun has the looks and runs 100%. Not a whole lot of Kimber parts left in the gun besides the barrel, slide and frame. Wife is using it now and loves it as much as I do.

Limited gun is a Para P-16 Limited. I've gotten all my favorite parts in it now so it's set up the way I like it. I've got 5K rounds through it now and so far it's also been 100%. Love the 20+1 capacity.

Daughter's gun (8 y/o) is a Walter P-22. Don't care much for the trigger, but it's 98% reliable (probably 100% if I'd lay off the slide glide more) and I can hit what I'm aiming at.

I'm also partial to my 686 that's had at least 70K rounds through it and is smooth as glass and more accurate than I am. First gun I purchased at age 21 and it's a keeper. I find that if I practice double action shooting with this gun that it really helps my trigger control with the autos. Unfortunately I never think to take it to the range.

The rest I have no particular attachment to, or use for unless I start shooting 3-gun again, or go hunting, or go to war.

This will be heresy to some, but my G35 has a certain type of beauty. I've had only one failure in five matches or so that even MIGHT have been its fault (I didn't stop to diagnose it). If form follows function, then near-flawless function has a beauty all its own.

My P14.45 that just came back from the shop (Caylor Custom Guns) is beautiful. Black Teflon finish, silky trigger, Dawson fiber front sight, Bomar rear, stainless parts for accent, and nice stippled grips that leave just enough to the imagination. No mag well because that would just make its *ss look big, and DQ the gun from IDPA. Makes me frisky enough to want to drive out to the range!

rode hard and put away wet...working tool

Its a glock

round count is just under 40k...in six months.

shot an entire area match with a broken striker, this gun scoffs at the thought of actually being cleaned

though the glock is almost impervious to rust, aftermarket sights seem to lack that quality..i dug the gun out of the range bag after arkansas section match and the nice dawson sights had a nice coat of iron oxide on them...

bought used from the local sheriffs department, the gun thought law enforcement was tough...it now dreams of being retired to a saturday night whataburger rent-a-cop.

THE brass magwell dinged all to hell.

rusty dawson sights with the front FO barely hanging on..

FO rod dimmed because of gunscrubber overspray(no i wasnt cleaning it...someone else was cleaning thier gun and got some on mine)

this gun is tough, rough but still gets the job done..

ive seen some of the prettiest guns not be able to run through an entire mag without malfucntions...this is one of the ugliest..and it runs and runs and runs

I simply cannot discuss this reasonably. I suppose knowing that, and accepting it, is an accomplishment. I like the way my gun feels, looks, and performs, and I hate everything else about the platform. A love-hate relationship for sure. If Limited were not my favorite division, I would switch to something else. If money were no object, and time and quality gunsmiths were more accessible, I might feel different. Gun racing is contrary to the intended use of the design. If you love this sport and shoot it enough, you will break, wear-out, or replace something, it is inevitable.

Perfect in all regards...

My Limited gun runs flawlessly and looks awesome! My gunsmith did an awesome job on it and it runs as good as it looks. I recently got another frame in hopes of getting another gun done for a backup (broke an AFTEC @ Area 4) in time for the Nat's - to my surprise I'll be picking it up this weekend :) Can't wait to see it!

S&W PC 625, SDM front sight, bobbed hammer (jeweled), Miculek grips, smooth trigger @ 6.25 lbs DA pull) Goes bang all the way to six! And it has a lovely click at #7 to remind you to reload. :blink:

Sweet!

Dave

My L10 gun started life as a run of the mill Springfield in 45 ACP. Since then I've changed a few parts:

S&A Magwell

Cimollini tungsten guide rod with plug and shock buffs

One of the cylinder and slide hammer/sear kits

STI disconnect

SVI tri glide trigger with the short flat insert

SVI titanium 3-prong spring

New springs

Bomars front and rear

Grip tape grips

1.75 lb trigger pull with great lockup

I think that's it. The gun shoots great. I don't see a need to change the barrel as it groups very well.

My Cowboy revolvers started life as Ruger Vaquero's. They've had a few changes too!

Shelin match grade barrel with taylor thoating and 11 degree forcing cone

Hammer recut for a half-cock notch

Trigger spur (the part that hits the sear notch) shortened to shorten the hammer throw and lock time

Custom springs

Oversize cylinder lockup bolt

Oversize base pin

Rear site notch widened and deepend

Loading gate disconnect

Timing set

Eagle gunfighter grips

Aluminum grip frame to change the balance

Everything polished

Trigger set to 1.75 lb.

These guns are great! Today I shot a group (10 shots) at 25 yards off-hand that measured 1 1/8 of an inch. They're ready for Steel Challenge!

Joel

Almost perfect......

My Nowlin has been my IDPA CDP gun and has been used in several Limited 10 matches.

It is 100% reliable, extremely accurate and looks great, Two Tone, blue over hard chrome.

The only problems I have ever had was a broken rear sight, done by me. The sight that they replaced it with works, but isn't perfect. I plan on getting another fitted to the sight cut this fall.

The only other thing was that the thumb safety was too easy to snick back on and with a low thumbs grips I would accidently hit it sometimes, that was also taken care.

I have 10,000 trouble free rounds through it.

218992373gqJfjM_ph.jpg

Near perfect for what it is......

XD-40 Tactical with Canyon Creek Trigger, Fusion Finish, Bo-mar adj sights w/FO front.

It's exactly what I wanted/want for my first year or two or three in the sport. Fairly inexpensive platform, very reliable, and as long as I do my part it puts em where I want em... ;)

post-1793-1120880175_thumb.jpg

ugly & 100%

only ugly because of the skateboard tape grip that I did myself.

Bob did a great job on the rest of it.

My limited gun should be perfect in every way when

Bob is finished with it.

My number 1 gun is my 6in Benny Hill fat free. Its good lookin enough, but at the end of the deal it has to run. And it does, always, every time. I have had some ugly guns that I could live with. I have had some really pretty guns that were a POS and just did not get it done. Best of both worlds is a sweet deal.-----Larry

My primary Limited 10 gun is a work of art by Joel Peters (think Area 1 MD). It started life as a Colt Series 80 and only the original slide remains. I have lost track of the modifications Joel has performed but they include new barrel & sights. I just wish he could make it shoot more A's faster but he keeps telling me that is my job.

Don't really have any pretty ones... Nice looking ones yes.

Reliable yes... It has to work, doesn't have to be pretty.  :)

I agree w/ that. Mine is only pretty cause i had it hardchromed when i was new

I dont clean it till its to dirty to run. Other than that i just shoot the crap out of it.

post-2283-1120930940_thumb.jpg

Don't really have any pretty ones... Nice looking ones yes.

Reliable yes... It has to work, doesn't have to be pretty.  :)

I agree w/ that. Mine is only pretty cause i had it hardchromed when i was new

I dont clean it till its to dirty to run. Other than that i just shoot the crap out of it.

Ditto. Shred 3's got a new set of grips, a few little scratches, quite a bit more dirt and 60,000 rounds down the barrel now, but still kicks butt, and that's plenty pretty for me.

I think I might be at 2 jams now.. might be time to order another :D

IMG_0600-75-2.jpg

i have an original kimber custom classic with a mmc front sight pounded into the dovetail that has been drawn from kydex about 10,000 times. it's an ugly black finish to begin with and it's not getting any prettier.

my 870 pumpgun has a dremel 'modified' forend to accomodate the sidesaddle.

a friend just stuck a dremel in the magwell of my sti edge limited gun.

my 625 is on the operating table as we speak. i held an awesome 625 at summer blast this weekend *sigh* now i know what to shoot for.

i like pretty guns, but i appreciate the beauty of honest wear and tear.

My gun is a Dirtbag :lol: kills me to say that! Just an ol' blue ugly sti thats had several thousands of rounds trough it. The gun was built for Jack Norris, many of you may know him, by DD while at STi. It amazes me to compare this gun with new edge guns - there is not much if any difference.

I picked up a Springfield "loaded" stainless 1911 single-stack in .40 S&W. It was in the "discontinued" rack for $499.

Added a S&A magazine well & black Micarta grips. John did a trigger-job. Add 10rd Tripp Cobra Mags and off to the races.

I don't recall any issues at all.

Mike

My carry gun is on its second rebuild, over 90k rounds thru it now...shot IDPA with it for 4 yrs and carried it since 95...beautiful again, 100% everytime....

Limited is an STI Edge worked over by the master in Houston, Jimenea....and it too is beautiful....both are works of art which shoot beyond my abilities as are all Eddie's guns...cannot say enough about his work...great stuff..

As I said in another thread...there is NO reason that it cannot be beautiful and run 100 percent, and when you pay as much as we all do for a uber tricked out blaster there is no reason it shouldn't be beautiful...if you settle for ugly, someone bent you over..

My carry gun is on its second rebuild, over 90k rounds thru it now...shot IDPA with it for 4 yrs and carried it since 95...beautiful again, 100% everytime....

Limited is an STI Edge worked over by the master in Houston, Jimenea....and it too is beautiful....both are works of art which shoot beyond my abilities as are all Eddie's guns...cannot say enough about his work...great stuff..

As I said in another thread...there is NO reason that it cannot be beautiful and run 100 percent, and when you pay as much as we all do for a uber tricked out blaster there is no reason it shouldn't be beautiful...if you settle for ugly, someone bent you over..

I find that the "ugly" comes from the use in action pistol sports. I don't think I know of any that see lots use (and dryfire, holstering, reloading) that don't quickly get a bad case of the uglies.

Beautiful can certainly run 100%, but if it used for training and matches, it won't stay beautiful very long.

Well, the wear of use is a beautiful thing - that's what I tell myself as I get older :(